Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used 1/2-ton 4WD pickup shopping

Mrs. C. and I are considering getting rid of the tent trailer, and setting up a pickup truck with a lightweight pop-up camper in the bed (Four Wheel Camper, most likely). This will not be a daily driver, just a fun vehicle for camping/biking/skiing. Both the truck and the camper will be used -- doing this on a budget of "as cheap as possible but still in decent condition." Planning on buying the truck first, then trolling craigslist for a FWC until I can score a deal on a used one.

I don't have any real preference between Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Nissan/Toyota, but I expect that the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra will tend to be more $ than the big 3 domestic makes, so I'll rule them out unless I stumble across a great deal.

So, turning it over to the maggots, what's my best bang-for-the-buck truck? Gas MPG isn't a crucial factor, but I'd like to see somewhere around 15mpg highway in stock form. Thinking $5-8K should be sufficient for this purchase -- some craigslist and Edmunds searching suggests I'm in the ballpark.

Criteria:
    - fullsize truck (bigger space in bed for camper) -- no Tacoma/Dakota/Frontier/etc.
    - extended cab (will need to carry 2 kids sometimes)
    - circa 2000 (give or take a couple years) -- something reasonably modern; not interested in a 1976 carb'd big block...
    - 100K miles (give or take 20K) -- to keep the purchase price down
    - truck will not be used for towing
    - gas motor, not diesel
    - probably smallish V8 motor (V6 in fullsize + camper = probably seriously underpowered)
    - 4WD required (snow/light offroad use)
    - longbed would be nice (bigger camper), but 6.5' shortbed is fine, and probably a lot easier to find

Any particular motors/transmissions to avoid amongst the Ford/Chevy/Dodge 1/2 ton trucks?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Avoid Dodge/Chrysler like the plague. Buddy has a gas Dodge and he's gone through 2 transmissions at 80K, without a lot of towing. My mechanic says "Dodge trucks keeps me in business."

Ford/GMC made good trucks around that time. And you can't go wrong with a Tundra if you can find one for your price.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

If you want a motor that will last for ever the Ford 300cc straight 6 is pretty bomber. While not hugely powerful it does all right. Why no diesel? Cummins in a Dodge can get you 50% more mpg over a gas pot.

You might want to check your weights. A typical 1/2 ton with a camper is usually legally overweight, but if you're not worried about that they drive way smoother empty. Probably the smoothest ride would be a Chebby and ford the roughest but the ford would be nicer to drive with weight.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    If you want a motor that will last for ever the Ford 300cc straight 6 is pretty bomber. While not hugely powerful it does all right. Why no diesel? Cummins in a Dodge can get you 50% more mpg over a gas pot.

You might want to check your weights. A typical 1/2 ton with a camper is usually legally overweight, but if you're not worried about that they drive way smoother empty. Probably the smoothest ride would be a Chebby and ford the roughest but the ford would be nicer to drive with weight.
    I don't think that 300 straight six was put into Ford trucks past the mid-1990s -- many more V8 options out there. The Chevy 5.3L seems like a pretty common one, with decent mpg too.

No diesel because this truck isn't going to get driven that much. I doubt it'll see 5000 miles a year. The added cost (purchase + maintenance) of a diesel just isn't worth it for this use.

I'll check payload capacities too, thanks. For an example: 1999 Chevy 1500, ext. cab 4WD, payload is listed at 1780 lbs. That should be enough to hold a FWC (dry weight quoted around 800-900 lbs; guessing wet weight around 1200?).
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You won't find a Tundra that meets your specs. Either really high miles or really high price.

I agree with the no diesel unless you decide to start towing. Mileage isn't that much better. Most people compare diesels to other 3/4 or 1 tons with 454s, 460s, 390s, etc. Which is a fair comparison for payload but if you are looking at 1/2 tons, you won't find the difference that much especially when you figure in maintenance costs of owning a diesel vs a smaller V8 or V6.

A half ton can be fitted with either airbags or helper springs for not a lot of money if weight of the camper is an issue. Weight shouldn't be an issue with a pop top though. Also look at how you register your vehicle. In Idaho, without special registration (which is actually a bit cheaper), it's $1/lb for anything over 8,000 gross vehicle weight. I've never seen anyone get the fine though.

If I were looking with your criteria, I would look at T100s or F150/250s. The T100 will go forever. The Ford 300, 302, and 351s are cheap and easy to work on. The T100 6 cylinder isn't terrible. It would be a little underpowered compared to a V8 but not too bad.

F150 works great for a Popup. I have a Bronco1000 and a 97 f150 and it hauls it with out any helper springs or airbags. Find out your wet weight of the camper you want and add #250 for gear then add #500 for people and snacks. It adds up fast and the 1/2 ton needs a very light camper.

This, for example, looks pretty good:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2381292291.html

Right price, but NY truck = rust. I'm in Nevada -- I'll be shopping locally/Sacramento/SF Bay.

Avoid the 4.6l Ford V-8.
    It gets marginally better mileage around town, similar at highway speeds, but far worse when towing a trailer. The 5.4 is much nicer to drive as well.

And if you can, get a proper extra-cab instead of a crew cab. Having 4 real doors is so much nicer than the half-doors or folding a seat forward. More comfortable back seat as well.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

And if you can, get a proper extra-cab instead of a crew cab. Having 4 real doors is so much nicer than the half-doors or folding a seat forward. More comfortable back seat as well.
    This is very true. Having had both, crew cab rules.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Avoid the 4.6l Ford V-8.
    It gets marginally better mileage around town, similar at highway speeds, but far worse when towing a trailer.
    Gotta disagree with this and recommend an F150 with a 4.6L Romeo engine. My 1998 F150 4x4 xcab w/ 4.6L (Romeo) is a great truck with a great engine. 139K miles, does not burn a drop of oil, full compression in all cylinders, 15 mpg with a 2000 Four Wheel Hawk popup camper on it and 18 mpg without the camper. Those I know with 5.4L's don't get that kind of mileage. The 4.6L has plenty of power and surprising good torque, certainly sufficient for the Hawk which weighs just under 1,000. I've had the rig for 6 years, plenty of miles, ski trips, etc.

4.6L has the same bore as the 5.4L but slightly shorter stroke. I did my research and was careful to purchase a 4.6L manufactured in Ford's Romeo plant. Some 4.6L and all 5.4L Triton engines were produced in the Windsor plant, and some of the Windsor engines develop cold start piston slap. There is no piston slap in Romeo engines.

Don't know about towing cuz I don't tow, but the 5.4L's longer stroke should have more torque. Did OP mention a need to tow?
    Last edited by Big Steve; 05-16-2011 at 07:41 PM.

How do you figure out what plant your engine was manufactured in? Or the engine of a truck you're considering buying?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    How do you figure out what plant your engine was manufactured in? Or the engine of a truck you're considering buying?
    VIN has a letter indicating plant.

Just called on this one, left a message. Looks perfect for my needs.

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2355808604.html

I don't want a crew cab (4 fullsize doors) for this project. It'll be more expensive, and even longer/heavier. I don't really need the extra cab space (back seat of a fullsize extended cab truck is plenty big enough for this), and I'm pretty sure that for the years I'm looking at, the Ford/Chevy trucks were either 3-door or 4-door extended cabs (rear-hinged doors on the cab).

I have crew cab for my great dane, otherwise extended cab is the way to go. Usually results in a larger bed, good for the camper.
    Live Free or Die

The 5.3 in those Chevys and GMCs (1999 to current I think) is awesome. I had a '99 Silverado (first year of that body style) and loved it. It had around 200k on the engine (rebuilt transmission) and it still had plenty of power. Being a '99, it only had one back door that opened. It was a pain sometimes.

There was an issue on the 1999-2003? Silverados/Sierras/Tahoes with an internal piece in the transfer case tapping through from the inside and causing a small hole in the exterior of the t-case which would drain all the fluid. I can't remember the exact details but it was a common problem and I developed the problem as well.

I sold the truck because of the t-case issue and because I couldn't get the cigarette smell out from the previous owner.

As far as driving, the truck was awesome, smooth down the highway and a pretty big (6 foot) bed for all the junk. If I could find a way around the transfer case issue I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Thanks StoneCold -- I'll do some research on that transfer case issue before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    VIN has a letter indicating plant.
    Yup, usually a letter (W = Romeo 4.6L) but sometimes a number (6 = Windsor 4.6L). See http://www.fordf150.net/howto/decodevin.php

If you either increase the budget slightly on up the miles a bit you should be able to find a 5.9 (360) Dodge 02-04

Long bed crew cab 1/2 ton kinda suck. That is a long WB with a camper = frame and ride issues

If you didn't need crew cab you'd be much easier off. IMO, the 3/4 reg. cab gas would be the best.

Man, I know 3 different guys with super-high mileage Dodge trucks (all well over 250K) of the '00-'04 era that run like motherfuckers. Nothng ever goes wrong with them except they kinda eat tires. They still look good too. Small sample, but those trucks are crazy dependable. I'd consider one, my '04 K2500 Silverado has had a shit-ton of problems and we're not even at 100K on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If you either increase the budget slightly on up the miles a bit you should be able to find a 5.9 (360) Dodge 02-04

Long bed crew cab 1/2 ton kinda suck. That is a long WB with a camper = frame and ride issues

If you didn't need crew cab you'd be much easier off. IMO, the 3/4 reg. cab gas would be the best.
    The old Dodge 5.9 (360ci) is a guzzler (the gas 5.9 V8, not the Cummins diesel 5.9 inline 6). That plus Chrysler automatic transmission = do not want. I don't want a crew cab, I want an extended cab.

After a bunch more research, with a focus on mpg/ reliability/ cost, I'm pretty much set on a Chevy/GMC extended cab 1/2-ton 4x4, with the 5.3L engine. Both 6.5' and 8' beds were available in this configuration, but the 6.5' bed seems to be much more popular.

2000-2003 looks like the sweet spot (1999 had 3-door cab vs. 2000+ 4-door, and the 5.3L engine got a hp/tq increase in 2000). I need to do some more searching on that transfer case issue, but initially, it looks like it was more common (if not exclusive to) the electronic-shift t-case. I don't know how common the electronic shift case was, vs. the lever shift case.

Like other said, a 1/2T is marginal with a camper. By the time you add people, fuel, beer, water, stuff & and camper you'll be close or over your GVW. A 3/4T has a bigger payload and usually bigger frame, bigger brakes & stronger drivetrain.

I really like my extended cab. It's like having a trunk to lock up your stuff and the dogs like it too.

A longbox opens up endless possibilities for cheap 8' campers. For a DD I liked my 1/2T Dodge QuadCad shortbox but I could never find a decent little camper for it. Contrary to the Rev my Dodge truck was fine.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    SNIP I recommend an F150 with a 4.6L Romeo engine. My 1998 F150 4x4 xcab w/ 4.6L (Romeo) is a great truck with a great engine. 139K miles, does not burn a drop of oil, full compression in all cylinders, 15 mpg with a 2000 Four Wheel Hawk popup camper on it and 18 mpg without the camper. Those I know with 5.4L's don't get that kind of mileage. The 4.6L has plenty of power and surprising good torque, certainly sufficient for the Hawk which weighs just under 1,000. I've had the rig for 6 years, plenty of miles, ski trips, etc.

4.6L has the same bore as the 5.4L but slightly shorter stroke. I did my research and was careful to purchase a 4.6L manufactured in Ford's Romeo plant. Some 4.6L and all 5.4L Triton engines were produced in the Windsor plant, and some of the Windsor engines develop cold start piston slap. There is no piston slap in Romeo engines.
    The cold piston slap was fixed in the 2001 model year. My 2001 5.4 has been great. Only 88k miles, but the engine has been rock solid. 15 city and 17 highway. If you want better mileage, get a tonnau cover or a canopy. I get 2mpg better when the bed is full of gear vs. without.

The Chevy 5.3 from those years is a great engine also. Either truck would be fine for what you are looking for, and there are so many of them, finding a reasonably priced 4WD should be pretty easy.