San Francisco Mags: Optometrist recco plz?

Since moving to SF about 2 years ago I've found a great dentist and a great MD.

However, both optometrists I've seen have sucked. Well, one was great but he got so blown up on yelp for being awesome that there was about an 8 month waiting list to see him for an appointment... so not worth the hassle. The other one outright sucked.

Any of yall have one ya like? I have a family history of gnarly eye problemos- graves ophthalmopathy, pigment dispersion syndrome - and have had some myself- sympathetic ophthalmia with resulting cellulitis on the back of my eyeball and going into my brain- so generally i see an opto for the easy stuff (glasses scripts, contacts) then independently see an ophthalmologist for the more complicated shizz. However due to my poor peeper history i still like my opto to be "on it."

Maybe my standards are too high? In nyc i was lucky enough to see the "Michael Jordan of optometrists" who was complete boomsauce... I miss him!! Wish I could fly back to nyc just for those appointments :P although not really practical. The search continues!

Live at Valencia & 23rd (Mission) but willing to go anywhere in the city for someone good. Plz halp. Thnx!

What's your insurance situation? Honestly, if I needed anything non-ortho or burn related done in the city, I'd be high tailing it to UCSF. Pretty solid reputation all around.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

My goes to a place on Geary off of 15th-ish Ave. She says they are great. Can't be too many options within a few blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    What's your insurance situation? Honestly, if I needed anything non-ortho or burn related done in the city, I'd be high tailing it to UCSF. Pretty solid reputation all around.
    excellent ppo coverage, i can go prettymuch anywhere. huh didn't know ucsf has optometry, although now that i think about it i guess it makes sense they have a dental and ophthalmology clinic, why wouldn't they have optometry! parking at parnassus is a bitch tho... did you know they charge their employees $25 a day to park at work?! my buddy is an er tech there... ridic. (he bikes to avoid the charge)

ask your great MD for a referral?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Hey, if I worked days, I'd definitely be taking public trans. Parking for night shift at my place is a measily $2.

I hate Yelp, but the reviews on the docs at UC are pretty solid. They have a clinic and a dispensary, and the advantage of having the entire UC network if your problems are out of their scope.

There's a bus that comes out of the mission, drops you off at the Safeway at Market St. 50 Steps to the N line, problem solved. That's how I get to Monk's Kettle, but in reverse!
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

hey c. check out this place. http://www.citycontactsopt.com/

I thought they were pretty awesome and helpful.
    "People think complaining about conditions makes them sound discerning, like giving nitpick notes on a fine dining experience. In reality it's just like saying "i'm a shitty cook." -MildBill

Liquor.com

Quote Originally Posted by s.p.c View Post
    hey c. check out this place. http://www.citycontactsopt.com/
    +1 -- Been going to Doc Penza @ City Contacts for 5+ years, they've been great with keeping an eye on some potential precursors to glaucoma. (He's a big bow hunter as well)

Sent a few referrals to them (who have also gone to the other Doc in the practice) and have gotten nothing but good feedback.

costco
    seriously,they get great reviews and good prices.
    picador

awesome, thanks for the reccos!! cheers everyone!