Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

um, anyone else thinking/talking about flooding......

seriously.
    Memphis is cresting now but peak Mississippi flows are not expected to reach key Louisiana points for more than two weeks...
    We had huge moisture nationwide all last month after a good healthy winter
    I know what happens in Salt lake when there is going to be this much run off.

now all of the CO boaters and my boy on the Lochsa are gonna be stoked but the grounds nationwide pretty saturated and that snow melt is only starting.
    I mean CO resorts got UT snow right?
    It seemed to never stop nuking in the Sierras.
    thats all gotta go somewhere...
    pretty sure i will be fine on my little island, but it seems strange no one is talking about it. Years of drought erased our memories?
    just gonna fill up all them now 1/2 filled "lakes" of the Colorado and its all good?

What happens in the Northeast with big snowpack and sodden ground?
    Fast Warm no worries?

Where is Red Baron when we need him...

Robert Johnson's 100th b-day was a few days ago. He was there for the '27 floods, this will be at least as big as that at least in terms of how much water is heading that way. I guess we'll see what happens "When the levee breaks" at some point pretty soon.

Not much you can do but watch.

Yeah they had floods in TN recently like they had when i was a kid, that same year (it seems in my little mind) we went out west and saw double nickel signs up to the numbers in water in the south of UT and folks fishing on State street in the north.
    My first impression of UT before all the time I lived there was a river coming down out of City Creek running through down town.
    95 was big there and so were a few years when I worked in BCC (huge boulders just tumbling along) but nothing like 83...

Ohh I’ve been watching, I live about 100’ from Middle Boulder and love the booming sound of the run off in the spring however the amount of build up across the northern part of the state looks like a set up for another Big Thompson disaster.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...NEWS/705019989

Here’s the site showing cfs of all the rivers in CO.

http://www.dwr.state.co.us/SurfaceWater/default.aspx

It's going to be a rough spring for some folks downriver.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Ohh I’ve been watching, I live about 100’ from Middle Boulder and love the booming sound of the run off in the spring however the amount of build up across the northern part of the state looks like a set up for another Big Thompson disaster.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...NEWS/705019989
    dang..."The snow fields are marked with bright yellow signs on 8-foot iron posts. At the lower end of the Cameron Pass field, Fusaro said, they couldn’t find the signs.

'We even took a metal detector with us, but it wasn’t good enough to find the signs. They were buried by too much snow,' he said."

We picked up flood insurance yesterday. Huge water in the Tetons too.

Hey, maybe this will finally get people to stop building houses in the Mississippi's flood plain!

Oh wait, people will keep doing that.

hoping for a cool late spring and early summer to keep flows running all summer instead of all coming down at once. So far so good, but we'll see.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

We might see some spring flooding around here...

...in July. 232" snowpack and 35o up there today.

Sucks about the other half of the country, though. Dad says no ones planting yet.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Lake Champlain is fucked right now and will be for a while. The only place is has to empty is a tiny river up north. They are saying about 2 months to recede back to normal. It is currently a 2 feet above the previous record stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-352-0-95752700-1304951934.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	97138  
    To the Thingmajigger!

How many new Levies have they built / Improved since the last big flood in area?? Seems we have been throwing money at the Corp of Engineers since Katrina and after the mid 90's floods. You can't stop or contol spring run off. They just move the problem up and down river.

It will be interesting to see what the attempt at control will damage this year. I thought it was interesting gearing about the delay in blowing a levy that is protecting Farm land at the expense of a city. Corperate Farming infulence?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Fuck that ridiculousness. Water's rising? You see that hill? Go stand on it dumbass.

It's been bad here in Ogden for over a month. Several rail areas have been under water, baseball fields by the fort completely submerged. I can't run on most of my trails as they all have sections that are under numerous feet of water. 6 weeks ago portions of the trail (asphalt) were crumbling into the over flowing river. I can't even imagine how bad the trails are now. The local marathon is under 2 weeks away and there's no way the usual course can be used. They'll have to close a major road now. The snowpack really hasn't melted much yet either. We're in the middle of 3 days of rain again right now.

I measure the financial impact these things have on individual companies for a living. It is / is going to be real bad. Mother nature seems to be pissed off lately.

This is what you get when you build/develop on a flood plain. You know why the farming is so good there? Thousands of years of annual flooding. You know why it's so flat and easy to build on? Thousands of years of annual flooding. It's supposed to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    This is what you get when you build/develop on a flood plain. You know why the farming is so good there? Thousands of years of annual flooding. You know why it's so flat and easy to build on? Thousands of years of annual flooding. It's supposed to do this.

Kinda like them volcanoes and grapes?
    -Cletus and james, vintners
    Pompeei, Arkansas
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Mother nature seems to be pissed off lately.
    Could be the fun's only getting started. All that water is gonna saturate the already overstressed New Madrid Fault. If that thing goes, it could go all Fukushima on somea those midwest nuke plants, make Katrina look like child's play.[/Doom&Gloom]
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I know what happens in Salt lake when there is going to be this much run off.

http://youtu.be/9D4Pw7XLwXk
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

And it is still coming. A-Basin report 6" today, and I think is expecting 4 to 9 during the day today!

Well, at least Colorado isn't going to burn down this year.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    We picked up flood insurance yesterday. Huge water in the Tetons too.
    Interested to see how that massive lull down by Hoback hold up once the Snake really starts moving.

Smart move either way. My town back east went through a couple floods back when I was a kid. Some peoples places just got fucked up in places you would never expect.
    Live Free or Die

few things to clarify here
    I totally agree that if you live/farm in a floodplain, you expect a flood.
    kinda like skiing an avialanche chute, it can be safer, but its a place where avies happen...
    both are good for a reason.

the levies, etc that have been built I think will be equaled out by the huge building in wetlands that used to absorb the water.

Out west is what i am most curious about. there has been so much building in the last 10-20 years in places that don't make sense, and that has changed drainage in a lot of places.
    I know friends in North Salt lake whose neighborhoods are literally sliding off the mountain.
    This is more than big melt=big flood its gone, move on..

on the upside at least Salt Lake can finally use those pumps they bought/built to protect the airport.....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    ...on the upside at least Salt Lake can finally use those pumps they bought/built to protect the airport.....
    Time to crank up the Newfoundland Evaporation Basin again!

And we in southern NM have not seen a raindrop since October..Windy dusty, miserable shit right now. Now the fires are starting, and its going to burn like a mofo. We could use some of your water. Farmers down here are not going to get their allotment of water this year, and we get our irrigation water straight from the Rio Grande..Which is fed from the snowpack up north. Hopefully it can make its way down here.Weird shit going on fo sho.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Hey, maybe this will finally get people to stop building houses in the Mississippi's flood plain!

Oh wait, people will keep doing that.
    68* in Vail on Monday.