Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Get out there and ride those waves!

Kayaking the lower Umatilla River during the flood at 11K cfs - February 7, 2020

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Holy shit. Looks like fun. And sketchy as hell. Pinned against one of those snags and bye. We lose kayakers every year on flooded creeks pinned against trees on outside corners.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That looks like a guaranteed ear infection.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I’m stuck in Nashville since Charlotte airport is all jacked up. If only I could find concert tickets, I think I’ll look on Craigslist maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just pay via FB/PayPal friends

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    That looks like a guaranteed ear infection.
    best case scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    The Great Lakes region is in for a long spring. Many areas were experiencing record high water levels going into the winter and with amount of precipitation in these area with the frozen ground is going to lead heavy flooding.

I have been working with communities since last fall trying to figure out how to deal with current flooding conditions let alone what's coming this spring. The long term forecast for the Great Lakes water levels is not good for people living in area. The high water levels are also leading to flooding in tributary streams and even groundwater levels.
    Right? Lake Erie has been out of its shores for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Time for a Chicago-LA canal obviously!

(Not really)
    Those people can get fucked.

Here in not so easy-draining ATL it’s been a great week. Snow, thunderstorms and flooding.

All the lakes are way up though so, yay no drought.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Right? Lake Erie has been out of its shores for over a year now.

All the lakes are way up though so, yay no drought.
    So like 20 years ago I used to go to a buddy’s house on lk st Clair in Canada. We used to have to anchor 20’ center consoles 120 yds out and walk in. Now they park 45 footers on the wall.

20 years ago my friend tells me “yeah back in the 80’s we used to park 45 footers on the wall”. 20 years ago he tells me, as I’m holding my backpack above my head walking in, “the water will be back in 20 years and we will park 45 footers on the wall again”. And wadda ya know...

I guess there is a long history of the Great Lakes going in 20 year cycles of high and low water. (With 5 year micro cycles in there) Affected by the water table or geology or astronomy I don’t fucking know... anyways... like clockwork.. 20 years later he’s parking 45 footers on the wall.

^^^
    Check out the crazy results when the everyday West to East wind blows across Lake Erie in freezing weather when the lake is this high. The usual seche result freezes and some dumb Canuck or Buffalo Mafioso has his car trapped in ice for 4 months.

I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    So like 20 years ago I used to go to a buddy’s house on lk st Clair in Canada. We used to have to anchor 20’ center consoles 120 yds out and walk in. Now they park 45 footers on the wall.

20 years ago my friend tells me “yeah back in the 80’s we used to park 45 footers on the wall”. 20 years ago he tells me, as I’m holding my backpack above my head walking in, “the water will be back in 20 years and we will park 45 footers on the wall again”. And wadda ya know...

I guess there is a long history of the Great Lakes going in 20 year cycles of high and low water. (With 5 year micro cycles in there) Affected by the water table or geology or astronomy I don’t fucking know... anyways... like clockwork.. 20 years later he’s parking 45 footers on the wall.
    Winter weather plays a role here as well, ive been visiting the northern great lakes region for 30+. the lakes lose a lot less water when they freeze over sooner ( and more surface area is frozen) so especially cold winters have always helped with levels but yes, as of right now they are doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Kayaking the lower Umatilla River during the flood at 11K cfs - February 7, 2020

WOO HOO!

That brings back some memories of my own flood boating.
    watch out for snakes

Brings back memories of walking on building ledges...Low head dams have killed more kayakers than cancer.

Name:  LowheadDams.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  254.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Brings back memories of walking on building ledges...Low head dams have killed more kayakers than cancer.

Name:  LowheadDams.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  254.3 KB
    I'm sure emergency management was not happy about those guys doing that and posting a video.

Flooding is for the most part over here but as always it's a long way to recovery for many. I've seen peoples beautiful farm land and pastures turned into nothing but river rock not to mention homes and animals lost. I got lucky this time around. The Wallula Rd bridge where it meets Old Hwy 12 over Mill Creek not so much......

Name:  Wallula & Old Hwy 12c.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  105.7 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Snag city! Fuck that.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm sure emergency management was not happy about those guys doing that and posting a video.
    That was more a Public Safety concern... All's well that ends well, I suppose. I knew a guy who drowned in a hydraulic jump below a low head dam.
    Wonder if those kayakers understood that the left side of the cockscomb they were riding was death?

Flooding is for the most part over here but as always it's a long way to recovery for many. I've seen peoples beautiful farm land and pastures turned into nothing but river rock not to mention homes and animals lost. I got lucky this time around. The Wallula Rd bridge where it meets Old Hwy 12 over Mill Creek not so much......

Name:  Wallula & Old Hwy 12c.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  105.7 KB

Welp, looks like you need a new bridge...
    Prolly gonna get a nice new fancy one, since the flow and debris load calcs for the old one weren't entirely adequate.

Glad your AO is safe KQ.
    watch out for snakes

Fork! I'm afraid to ask "can this year get any worse?" <anti-jinx>

Flood watch yesterday has become flood warning today. County is issuing emergency messages to get to higher ground. Got soaked to bone this morning from having to run to the river and pull the pump, screen, intake, pipes and electrical out and move them to high ground. Almost an inch of rain at my farm in the last 5 hours. Some places have seen twice that and it's not supposed to stop for another 24hrs.

WTF?!!!!

Fork! I'm afraid to ask "can this year get any worse?" <anti-jinx>

Flood watch yesterday has become flood warning today. County is issuing emergency messages to get to higher ground. Got soaked to bone this morning from having to run to the river and pull the pump, screen, intake, pipes and electrical out and move them to high ground. Almost an inch of rain at my farm in the last 5 hours. Some places have seen twice that and it's not supposed to stop for another 24hrs.

WTF?!!!!
    could be worse, you could be in Midland, MI.

Stay safe and dry, KQ.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

An inch of rain being something worth mentioning was so 1980 if you live in the midwest.

As much as I would love to live close / on the water, I am super concerned about flooding. I do not want to have to deal with my house getting flooded out ever. I hope you're ok KQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    As much as I would love to live close / on the water, I am super concerned about flooding. I do not want to have to deal with my house getting flooded out ever. I hope you're ok KQ.
    My house is up on the bench but my farmland/barns are on the valley floor (my barns are really built up). I do have a LTR close to the river but that part of the river has a higher bank. What I'm most at risk of losing is my irrigation pump/equip, crops and having my well fouled. Still it's a big hassle.

River is up 2ft since 10am this morning. It has stopped raining for the moment down here but the head waters are up in the Blues where it is still raining.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pro tip Never buy a house near anything called Dry Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Pro tip Never buy a house near anything called Dry Creek.
    I live immediately adjacent to a Dry Creek. It only runs during heavy rains and/or rain + spring snowmelt.

It's 40-50 feet deep down a wide natural ravine, and there's no way it'd overflow to affect our house (it would flow downstream and disperse first). There's a house being built somewhat close on the opposite side of the creek, downstream from us, so I hope those people planned for water control.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I live immediately adjacent to a Dry Creek. It only runs during heavy rains and/or rain + spring snowmelt.

Wadi

Lots of waterfowl in this area and I've been watching a goose who nested and laid eggs on a small outcrop with one little tree in the middle of the river's falls. Her and her goose daddy have been there about two weeks. Great spot any other time but more flooding today and images of the falls look like class 5 rapids. The tree can still be seen so there's a chance they make it.

Wadi
    Que?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.