advice for Lampshade boy, please

Nanuq, 6months old, was neutered last Wed. I picked him up from the vet Thur afternoon. 24hrs later he began having diarrhea. We thought it might be a reaction to the surgery and would get better. We put him on a rice diet as that helped our dogs in the past. It's worse at night when he wakes me up every two hours to go out. Little dribblers of liquid poo. He also vomits once every night. It's now Monday and the symptoms have not gone away. I'm sleep deprived.

Nanuq acts just fine, like nothing is wrong. He is a regular spunky puppy. So I'm not overly concerned. I just need some sleep.

My wife is taking him to the vet today for a check.

What I want to know is what could have happened to him at the vet to cause this. I'm sure the vet will never admit they did somethign wrong.

You named your dog Nanuq? Do you remember that guy? Yikes.

As far as his health, I dunno. Vet seems like a good idea, you're doing that already, that's all I got. Neutering is amazingly non-invasive for males, I would bet it's not connected, but wtf do I know?

Stress of having his balls chopped off? Or maybe reaction to anesthesia meds.

Revenge for chopping off his balls. Just wait until his William Tell-like targeting of his hershey squirts start hitting your favorite household items. He's just getting warmed up.

I think enough revenge was extracted on Friday when I walked in after work to find him, the floor, and dining table chair legs coated in a layer of shit. What a horrible way to end the week; disinfecting the entire condo. Poor Odin was huddled in a corner for fear of getting smeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I think enough revenge was extracted on Friday when I walked in after work to find him, the floor, and dining table chair legs coated in a layer of shit. What a horrible way to end the week; disinfecting the entire condo. Poor Odin was huddled in a corner for fear of getting smeared.
    That sucks. Please let us know what the vet says. I'm doing the deed to our dog in the next month or so.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Not likely anything the vet did. We don't do much, exam, a shot or two, whack off his balls, go home. Stress can be a factor...trying getting your balls whacked off and report back.

If all else is fine, I will usually do the cottage cheese and rice thing, maybe an antibiotic like metronidazole and a probiotic like Fortiflora. I rarely use motility modifiers like lomotil, but some vets do.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

metronidazole is awesome for the poop thing...seriously works like a charm. Almost sounds like some bacteria like giardia, but I sell beds for a living and you shouldn't take my advice at all. Great looking dog though!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

the fortiflora works really well, we have cases of the stuff

my guess is some reaction to anesthesia

...oh, and lose the lampshade if he is not licking. Wearing one of those would drive me nuts, as it does a lot of dogs. I usually don't send them home post surgery unless the dog is a licker.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I suppose it could be stress. But the way he wants to run around and play doesn't lean me in that direction. When he came home, he acted like nothing ever happened to him. He still acts that way. We started giving him probiotic stuff yesterday.

I'm wondering if he picked up an intestinal/stomach bug at the vet. Since I walk Nanuq and Odin together, and Odin shows none of these problems, I doubt he picked up something around the home.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ...oh, and lose the lampshade if he is not licking. Wearing one of those would drive me nuts, as it does a lot of dogs. I usually don't send them home post surgery unless the dog is a licker.
    I only put it on him when he wants to lick. It was a problem right at first, but less of an issue now. I let him sleep in the crate for most of last night w/o it, until about 4am when he started licking again.

RESULTS: A $200 vet bill.
    stress induced, c-diff, bacterial overgrowth.
    Anti-diarrhea med, antibiotic, "special" dog food.
    the vet also said to drop the lampshade, his wound looks fine

Damn, Hutash you are good.

I wonder if stress is contagious. Between Nanuq's hyperactive stress, Odin's general emotional stress, and my wife's physical stress & anxiety, it's only a matter of time before I lose it.

...and I am only going to bill you $195

iscariot

we had good success with putting a tshirt on our girl when she received a puncture from a neighbors rotti. it kept her from licking it too bad and helped keep it clean and aerated.

of course it was right before halloween so everyone thought we put her in an 80's costume but it did the job. that and she couldn't cone ram us.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Try the fortiflor too...has always worked for my dogs. They get it on a regular basis
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I wrote BEER and put arrows pointing in on the cone of shame. I wish I took a pic of that.