Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How high should a bar stool be?

Is there a rule of thumb on how high a bar stool should be in relation to the countertop ?
    My new place had the kitchen wall taken out replaced with an island between the living room/kitchen to open up the space , the island has an outer raised counter which would make a nice eating bar instead of buying a dining table & chairs and besides I would save space not having a table

the counter top is about elbow high so how high do I want the stools ?

Make it comfortable. There is a bar down the street that remodeled but kept the same stools. Their bar is way too tall for their stools. The bar is literally nipple height for an average male. Way too tall for an average female. My friend is 6'3" and he complains about it so it sucks for me at 5'8". I think mid abdomen halfway between navel and nipple is a pretty decent height. It allows for elbow comfortably on the bar if wanted. Anything higher makes eating off it a bitch.

so as just a guess, ~1' from seat to top of bar (never measured).

Bars are either 42" or 36" (kitchen counter ht.). You should be able to buy a stool built to work with the ht. Of your counter. Typical table top ht. Is 30"
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

The eating bar top is 9" higher than the kitchen counter top which is 36" so the bar is 45" high which you are saying is a little unusual ?

Probably because It appears buddy cut the old kitchen wall down to 42 & 1/2 inches high and put the bar top right on top of the old wall ,put new cupboards and counter top behind the wall , dropped the ceiling/built in over the inside kitchen counter area bar iinstaled some pot lights SO because all the alterations were IN the kitchen he didnt have to alter/fuck with the ceiling in the living room ... smart thinking & I really like it

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The eating bar top is 9" higher than the kitchen counter top which is 36" so the bar is 45" high which you are saying is a little unusual ?

Probably because It appears buddy cut the old kitchen wall down to 42 & 1/2 inches high and put the bar top right on top of the old wall ,put new cupboards and counter top behind the wall , dropped the ceiling/built in over the inside kitchen counter area bar iinstaled some pot lights SO because all the alterations were IN the kitchen he didnt have to alter/fuck with the ceiling in the living room ... smart thinking & I really like it

Yeah that's not standard. You'll need to buy stools for a 42" bar and see if it'll work. If you're not on thevshort side it may be OK.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

I have a similar issue (extra tall bar). Bar stools only commonly come in two heights - ~24" and ~30"

I think the general rule of thumb is that you want the bar to be about 12" higher than the stool (hence standard 30" stools for a standard 42" bar).

If you google extra tall bar stools, they do exist.

have us all over for beers when you're done!

there is also the idea of getting really high stools and cutting them down

Sure Bean dip but its kind of far away ...only another 4 hrs to the tip of the alaskan panhandle

Go to someplace where bar stools hang out. Maybe a bar? Find one where the height difference is comfortable. Then measure it. Finally...post pics

30” standard bar stools for 40” to 43” counters.
    Extra tall 34” to 36” bar stools for very tall 46”- 50” high counters.

You're at the upper limit for 30's, but they will work if you're tall.
    Good runs when you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    30” standard bar stools for 40” to 43” counters.
    Extra tall 34” to 36” bar stools for very tall 46”- 50” high counters.

You're at the upper limit for 30's, but they will work if you're tall.
    NOT tall I'm only 5'8" and tele babe is even shorter at 5'3" and I live in a small town with like 3 bars and a couple of furniture stores

BUT 2 sushi bars ... I think I will go check out the sushi bar

NOT tall I'm only 5'8" and tele babe is even shorter at 5'3" and I live in a small town with like 3 bars and a couple of furniture stores
    The general ergonomics rule is 9-12 inches from top of seat to top of bar. (that's allows for thigh clearance
    In your case, go for extra-tall 32 or 34" stools with backs and swivel seats since it'll be your primary eating space.
    Amazon delivers. So does Barstools.com and they have closeouts.
    Good runs when you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The general ergonomics rule is 9-12 inches from top of seat to top of bar. (that's allows for thigh clearance
    In your case, go for extra-tall 32 or 34" stools with backs and swivel seats since it'll be your primary eating space.
    Amazon delivers. So does Barstools.com and they have closeouts.
    So the correct answer was posted as the second post. Why even doubt the forum drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    So the correct answer was posted as the second post. Why even doubt the forum drunk?
    Actual measurements in inches or centimeters are preferable to values in relationship to body parts ...but what can one expect from the forum drunk ?

taking a closer look it would be fairly easy to take the bar top off and whack a few inches off the wall to lower it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-08-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Just figure out what height you want the seat at for you to be comfortable. Sit on some phone books. Wifey wanted it really high but then the trim under the counter was too low so she had to get lower stools.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

XXX-er is still sitting on a giant pile of phone books, 8 years later. Which is a problem because the phone books need replacing, but phone books are actually becoming a bit hard to commer by in the age of the internet. Perhaps a 34" pile of laptops would suffice.

No higher than you want to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Finally the right answer.

As it turned out back in the day I found some bar stools that were inexpensive and worked out fine BUT needing the overheight bar stools means they were harder to come by and needing overheight bar stools limited the choices

so for anybody contemplating building a bar I would recommend you pick your bar stools first and then design the bar from there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is there a rule of thumb on how high a bar stool should be in relation to the countertop ?
    Dunno but the new best practices includes adjustable ramp angle and lower lumber support for yer buds with low back issues.

Just sayin'.
    Master of mediocrity.

I got marker bar stools but prereleased and broke my ass.

As it turned out back in the day I found some bar stools that were inexpensive and worked out fine BUT needing the overheight bar stools means they were harder to come by and needing overheight bar stools limited the choices

so for anybody contemplating building a bar I would recommend you pick your bar stools first and then design the bar from there
    Sage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I, for one, think a bar-stool by it's very definition should involve consequences.
    "Can't you see..."

How high should a bar stool be?

25 posts without a weed joke...huh...here's another for an ancient thread...ancient drawings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4001.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	299961

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4002.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	299962

What happened to tele babe?