Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carbon Vs. Alloy Mountain bikes????

So, I'm looking into pulling the trigger on a new bike. I'm torn between carbon/alloy. How strong is carbon? I'm specifically looking into the Yeti ASR. I'm just afraid that when I take my first hard crash on the carbon bike it will break in half.. Should I be concerned about the strength of carbon?

Opinions?
    is this thing on?

If you're going to spring for carbon, don't skimp. I'm sure Yeti makes a top notch carbon frame. I've got a buddy with a SC Blur LT carbon and it is solid and stiff. Super strong.

If you're 200+ lbs, I'd be a little concerned about strength. If you're 160 lbs, you should be fine.

I'm about 200 pounds and wouldn't trust a carbon frame, but that's just me.

I'd check out this website before making any decisions.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Why do you want carbon? Trying to look cool to your riding posse? Got some extra money burning a hole in you pocket?

If you're concerned about carbon, just buy aluminum. There are plenty of awesome aluminum frames out there that don't weigh significantly more than their carbon brethren and are plenty stiff.

Kidwoo will soon let you know that a carbon frame will splinter into a million pieces and sever major arteries leaving you to bleed out all over the fire road you were just riding along. It's actually part of a vast conspiracy to kill off mountain bikers.

So everyone agrees this is the last season we'll see Peaty and Minaar racing, as they're likely going to be killed/maimed this year on their full-carbon V10's w/ carbon rims? (Not to mention Beaumont & Hannah on their GT's)

I'm just sayin...

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess
    Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    If you're going to spring for carbon, don't skimp. I'm sure Yeti makes a top notch carbon frame. I've got a buddy with a SC Blur LT carbon and it is solid and stiff. Super strong.

If you're 200+ lbs, I'd be a little concerned about strength. If you're 160 lbs, you should be fine.

I'm about 200 pounds and wouldn't trust a carbon frame, but that's just me.
    I've been riding an 08 Specialized Enduro SL Carbon, this will be year 4. It's seen it's share of hits and crashes and never had any issues with the frame and I'm in the 200lb range. 2 of my friends are on Blur LT carbons both close to my size, no issues. I love the stiff feel of the carbon, and yes it looks cool too . I think my next bike I will go for a carbon frame again.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    So everyone agrees this is the last season we'll see Peaty and Minaar racing, as they're likely going to be killed/maimed this year on their full-carbon V10's w/ carbon rims? (Not to mention Beaumont & Hannah on their GT's)

I'm just sayin...
    I think everyone agrees that there isn't any problem with carbon if you have a professional mechanic who spends more time wrenching on your bike than you do riding it, and will replace the frame at no cost to you if there's the slightest suspicion that failure might be imminent.

'carbon' is an element on the periodic table.

there are a million different frame options - bonded / lugged tubular, monocoque / thermoplastic, pre-preg or wet layup, etc.

the technology of 5 years ago is in no way related to the stuff going on today. you can make certainly make carbon thick enough rocks won't go thru it, that is for sure, and it might not be really any lighter than the comparable aluminum, but it is stiffer and more responsive. and with a thermo/mono build, you can make it thick where you want it, and thin where it does not matter, and thereby making it stiffer, stronger and lighter than comparable aluminum. and again, with a termo/mono type build, you can punch a smallish hole in it and likely only weaken the structure the same as if you dented the shit out of a steel frame. these buddies are just 30%-50% more expensive.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Dammit, Marshal, why you gotta go dropping all that knowledge? Sheeeeit.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Yeah, but can you use your carbon frame as a bong?

I DIDN'T THINK SO!!!

FERROUS, FERROUS, BOOYAH!!!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The debate continues!

When I get home, I'll put up a picture of the huge rock dimple I found when I took my bike out for the first time this year.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    Kidwoo will soon let you know that a carbon frame will splinter into a million pieces and sever major arteries leaving you to bleed out all over the fire road you were just riding along. It's actually part of a vast conspiracy to kill off mountain bikers.
    Hey that's not true! I actually have one friend out of about half a dozen who hasn't broken his carbon frame in less than a year! He's had his for a little over TWO!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

steel is real. And it can be easily fixed if you damage it. Not sure why bikes are made of anything else. Stay away from carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post

Where is the busted aluminum website?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

It's a lot scratch to spend unless you can tell the difference in the ride. Some people can tell, some can't.

Quote Originally Posted by phudnut View Post
    steel is real.
    Yup.
    Real.

Really outdated, heavy, and difficult to fabricate with contemporary geometries and linkage designs.
    And magnetic.
    That shit could KILL you if you ride by a massive electromagnet.
    I wouldn't chance it.
    Go Bamboo.
    Stay away from paper
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

at the shop the other day we tried like hell to break a top fuel 9.8 frame and a superfly 100 frame. we huffy tossed them as high in the air as possible onto concrete and could not do anything but scratch the clear coat. if we had done the same with an aluminum frame, it would have been bent/dented to shit

in my experience, anything that could break/crack carbon, would have totally fucked an alloy frame too

if peat and minaar can DH race carbon frames with carbon rims, you can putt around on singletrack and be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by meatspicy View Post

if peat and minaar can DH race carbon frames with carbon rims THAT GET REPLACED ON A REGULAR BASIS, you can putt around on singletrack LIKE YOUR GRANDMOTHER and be just fine

I agree!

What's a 'huffy toss' by the way?

I will say that what SC has done with the V10 carbon versions shows some potential and that I've got high hopes for that one. Not so much for the trailbikes though.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What's a 'huffy toss' by the way?
    Grab bike by bars and seat. Spin around enough to build inertia. Release. Repeat
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Where is the busted aluminum website?
    He usually does non-carbon breakage on Wednesdays, if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    That site is sponsored by a titanium bike manufacturer, which uses carbon forks on its bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Not so much for the trailbikes though.
    My god. 9 months in.....I'm lucky to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    My god. 9 months in.....I'm lucky to be alive.
    Quit now!
    I meant more the blur LTs. Two owners.....both broke the swingarms in under a year. I admit I haven't heard any horrors about the nomads yet. Have a buddy here who just got one. I wish him luck.

Plus you ride like a grandmother.*

*flowtron does not like like a grandmother

Quit now!
    I meant more the blur LTs. Two owners.....both broke the swingarms in under a year. I admit I haven't heard any horrors about the nomads yet. Have a buddy here who just got one. I wish him luck.

Plus you ride like a grandmother.*

*flowtron does not like like a grandmother
    If you visit this summer, I can get you a ride on a NomadC. It will change your life.