Smaller pickups? (AKA another vehicle thread)

I've owned 2 mazda pickups (b2200 & b2600) and loved them both. Currently driving a hilux surf (diesel 4runner). I'm looking to sell the hilux this summer to get a pickup again. I'm looking for something w/ a 4 cyl engine (or larger engine if it still gets ~23mpg), extra cab 4X4. I know enough about the mazdas and toyotas, but I thought I'd get people's opinions on the older (late 80's- early 90's) rangers or similar american trucks.

I've heard for had problems with their auto trannies, but I'm looking at 5 speeds anyways. Thoughts? The rangers just seem much cheaper and easier to find than the imports, but I don't want to buy something that is going to be shitty vs what I'm used to. OTOH I could use the $$ I save for a quad or enduro, which I wouldn't mind picking up for driving around town
    Last edited by farmer; 05-01-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

You're selling your diesel Hilux?! Those things are really rad and rare around here. If I had any money I'd offer to buy it from you right now.

the issue would be importing it from Canada to the US.
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Any B-Series after 1994 is a Ford Ranger, just different stickers/badges. Also... where in Canada is your Hilux Surf located, 'cause I want one. I'm done with full sized gassers.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

PM sent. I know about the 94 bit, and I'm probably not looking at that age in either ford or mazda, hate that body style and prefer working on older vehicles. Thanks though.

I'd find a toyota truck and swap the engine and find someone to sell ya biofuel.

I've owned Rangers and Toyota's. Not considering the current generation Tacoma, compared to the previous ones, I think the Ranger has better ride handling characteristics. I had a a 2004 Taco that actually scared me to drive with the bed empty. That truck ended up totalled in a rollover this winter on dry roads driven by my wife who drives better than 98% of people I know. (Farm Girls know how to chase rabbits in four wheel drives across summer fallow.)

Keep the Hilux and get a WR 250R. 60+mpg, street legal, and doesn't need anything but tires, filters, oil, plugs and gasoline for 25,000 miles.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Drove a recent one ^^^^^, didn't have that sense, but either will defer to your wife's skill set or wonder if Toyota did something with the suspension in the past 7 years. I know they did a factory mandated retro fit on the 4-Runners that were based on the truck, think that was in the early/mid-2000's. If OP is looking for a 1990-something, suspect the Fords will be better underneath, not as good in front.

I had a 94 Ranger for 10+ years, just sold it 2 months ago. It was a great little vehicle. I didn't have the 4cyl, though, I had the 4.0L V6. I got about ~15-16 in winter, city driving, up to ~19 in summer highway driving.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I got about ~15-16 in winter, city driving, up to ~19 in summer highway driving.
    That's no better than my 7,000# Diesel truck. It's too bad there's no little Diesel truck. You have to import or build your own (in Canada, anyway).
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Why not just a Toyota with the 22R-E and a 5 speed?

^^ finding one that isn't lifted way the fuck up and/or asking $10,000 for a '82 with 400,000 km is the trick. If I can I will in a heartbeat.

Why the ever came out with that piece of crap 3L v6 is beyond me. 22RE is by far one of the better engines ever made.

I'm in no position for a 2nd vehicle, and am sick of diesel after trying to get the hilux to start this last winter. Plus I need the cash that I will get between selling the hilux and buying something else. For the price of insurance for a year in BC, I can just about buy a truck and insure it in MT for the year.

I bought a new ranger last year with the 4.0 5spd mags /ac /sat radio were the only extras ,sure a tacoma is nice definatley nicer than the ranger but they were 32K whereas the ranger was only 19K , to me it wasnt worth spending another 13 k for the tundra ...ymmv

The ranger is gona be cheap to own ,it doesnt have a timing belt to change , its under warranty for the next 5 yrs and it gets pretty good milage

just an FYI that in my experience YES a diesel can get good milage but be very expensive to fix which eats up all the $$ you saved in fuel think cost of ownership not just fuel consumption and realize in the US where diesel fuel is more $ than reg gas ... run your figures and make sure you are actualy saving $ overall

Those Rangers are definitely the best buy in terms of cheap reliability and a truck. Both the 4 bangers and the 4.0 six are pretty solid engines and pretty easy to work on.
    Live Free or Die