Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don't know how big foodies yall are, but the Barberton Chicken and dumplings in Barberton Ohio was worth a detour for us, if it's on your way at all:

http://danceswithcorgis.com/2008/10/...erton-chicken/

honestly one of the best meals of my life!! wish i had a reason to drive through ohio again

for other awesome mid-route good eats, check out the roadfood book, it's the bible for good 'hounding on trips... avoid fast food, find local unique places!

as far as somewhere btween st. louis and chicago, go to a cheese factory and eat some cheese curds!!

Dubuque is kinda fun you can ride on a tram, it's steep (TR with pics):
    http://danceswithcorgis.com/2008/10/...lle-iowa-city/

If you're into baseball, how about Dyersville to see the Field of Dreams?

Notre Dame if you're football fans?
    http://danceswithcorgis.com/2008/10/...s-and-chicago/

the Indiana Dunes were pretty neat:

gratuitous shot of my beloved woofer

however of the whole road trip we did, I'd say my favorite was the south- memphis, dirty delta mississippi blues country, cajun country etc.. ... although 1.) that doesn't really sound like it's on your route and 2.) flooding disaster going on right now so...

anyways- have a great time and check out the roadfood book it's really awesome, it's the bible of road trip eatin!

That St. Louis museum looks awesome!

TONS of architecture, i guess you know about all the frank lloyd wright stuff- lots in wisconsin, esp throughout chicago (hyde park) also. if you were going to see just one thing, therobie house is arguably his best house ever, though his own house is pretty good. also in chicago are many of the mies van der rohe buildings in the US- IIT campus, lake shore drive apts and of course the farnsworth house which i think you can now visit. Louis Sullivan buildings- Carson Perie Scott building etc etc.Rem Koolhaas at IIT too. also, in toledo there is the glass museum by kazuo sejima here which is really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Can't stand Illinois or BlowHio, but Cedar Point is the shiz. You should go. Rays MTB is also the shiz.
    You speak the truth, and found the only two redeeming qualities in Ohio - you must be from Michigan...

Thanks BeanDip... the road food guide looks very cool. I'd love to see it, but Field of Dreams is headed the wrong way. (We want to do everything Wright.)

LC, great tips, too. We are seeing lots of Frank: Robie House, his studio/house, Oak Park, Johnson Wax, Price Tower, Falling Water, etc... I am beyond psyched.

Farnsworth House is amazing, but will have to wait. (My Chicago bud got married there.) The glass museum looks interesting and is on the way, too. Never would have picked that up, so thanks.

Brice, that map is awesome. I have it bookmarked and will surely use it!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

BD, i thought of another couple around/ in boston- you may know already but anyhow- walter gropius's house is to the west of boston and is pretty cool also. and in boston there is of course Gehry, Steven Holl, the Diller Scofidio ICA is a very nice project and a lot of modernist stuff tucked away. and if you are into this type of thing, the Harvard museum of natural history has the glass flower collection which is totally amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    One other consideration - a 3:20 Cubs game will be much colder than you would think it would be, even in June/July/August. That stadium, in the shade, is like sitting in a fridge sometimes. We live about 3/4ths of a mile from there & go to games pretty often.

Also if you get a typical 3 hour game - that say, wraps up at 6:30, don't dawdle in heading downtown - post game traffic (by train, cab, or car) totally sucks.
    On this point, given that you are traveling with your daughter: if you are taking the el from Wrigley to downtown after the game, don't get on at Addison--that station will be a complete elbow-to-elbow shit show and you'll often have to wait train after train after train to get on. Walk a little north to the Sheridan stop and get on there. You'll effectively lose the post-game crowd--for a stop anyway--you'll be able to easily board the train/find a seat.

Thx PTD, that's a great tip. We are taking the red line back downtown, so we'll avoid that stop.

LC, I live about 5 miles from the Gropius House, so I see it a lot. (My Mom used to know his wife and has some good stories... used to sometimes have tea there.) Boston definitely has some cool stuff, but like any lame local, I still haven't made it over to the new ICA! (Also, I've seen pics and heard of the glass flower collection, so will have to get there, too.) You must be an architect?

You may want to look into stopping by Eureka Springs, Ark.
    Cool old town and has the Thorncrown Chapel.

BTW, BigDaddy, did I meet you for about two seconds at Alta last (Jan or Feb '10?) season? Top of Collins, you skiing with your son? It was some TGR "Daddy" or another, IIRC.

Edit: could have been '09 too; it all starts to blur together after a while.

I was there both years, but I don't have a son... I do remember meeting a couple mags at the bottom of Collins and one at the top. BigJay was living out there then?

Hmmm, could your daughter have been skiing in drag? But very possible I was (am) confused. But pretty sure the "daddy" I met was from NH or VT (hell, everything east of PA runs together for me) and with a male offspring. Regards, in any case. If you need any other Chicago help give me a holler. I am, alas, a lifer here (thus far anyway).

i thought you lived in VT, sorry for stating the obvious. yes, i am an architect.