Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kip Garre...RIP

Kip Garre...RIP

Word is spreading, so before a bunch of what, how and reallys spread, it appears Kip Garre and his girlfriend, Alison, were killed in an avalanche in Split Couloir down near Bishop. I don't have all of the details, but Kip and Alison were missing as of two nights ago. Oldtimer headed out with SAR and I received word they located signals and/or their bodies today.

Kip was one of Squaw's greats, a soft-spoken, incredibly positive individual. He guided at Points North, and was emerging as one of North America's premiere ski mountaineers. Some may remember he was with Arne Backstrom when Arne died. For a Squaw community that has been rocked with loss the past three seasons, I can't believe we're going through this again...

RIP, brother.
    or don't

I heard news of lost skiers down there. RIP Kip.

oh no! fuck. i've known Kip for over twenty years. he's a NH kid who I knew well from Plymouth State. wicked sad news. he's a such quality person. oh man. this sucks.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Not good news. With all the pics/TRs/stoke of the Eastside as of late, this makes me extremely sad.

Met him and Ingrid on one early season day at Crystal a few years back skiing with Squirrel and crew, definitely a soft spoken and friendly guy.

Vibes to all the friends and family

fuck i didn't know kip or anything about him but i definitely know the name... sad especially to hear about another NH'er passing. vibes to the greater squaw crew, friends, and family, hope you guys are doing OK.

total loss, RIP Kipper and Alison.

RIP Kip. From hearing friend's stories, it sounds like Kip was both a super strong skier and an all-around good guy; the kind of person that made waiting out days of bad weather in a tent bearable. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Huge loss. Kip was a good friend, a kind person and comforting force to be around in the mountains. We'll miss you, buddy!

Damn. Kip-the most chill guy in the world. He and Ingrid skied with a bunch of us at Mammoth on Fourth of July once years ago.

wow... what a bummer. RIP.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

That's terrible. Very sorry.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

condolences to all who knew the both of them.

wow, thats really depressing. I met kip at a bar in Gulmarg last winter. It was very inspirational and encouraging to see a fellow EC'r getting after it so hard, and now very chilling and depressing to hear that it ended to early for him.

RIP Kip, I barely knew you but you influenced me more than you could have known.

Tragic news ....
    Thoughts go out to the the family's and the PNH crew

More awful news! I'm stunned! Was lucky enough to ski with Kip for a great week up at PNH last year. RIP

Just found this:
    http://www.tetonat.com/2011/04/28/ki...ian-avalanche/
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

RIP

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.... RIP dude

RIP Kip...++++VIBES++++ to his family and friends.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Terrible news. Condolences to friends and family.

RIP Kip. I read an article in backcountry recently about him and ski mountaineering and he sounded like a great guy.

I did not know Kip, but I've known Allison for a long time. She was one of the first people I met when I moved to Truckee in 93. She was living in a van down by the river with a friend of mine... We'd been out of touch for a while, but her death spins me out a bit. I spent some fun days skiing the Tahoe backcountry with her when I was new to the scene. She was a strong skier. She was an inspiring rock climber. She'd elbow you out of the way free-soloing past you on Donner Summit 5.9's. She took my wife up Cathedral Peak. She helped me and my wife learn to lead climb. She spent a lot of time in the High Sierra - climbing, skiing, running the JMT...

I am rambling.

she'll be missed
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Vibes, we had a near miss here in the roaring fork valley today as well. A very well known pro tele skier had a major femer break out near taylor pass, flight for life arrived after a shit show of a rescue. he is in surgery right now. Vibes to him as well. I am sure the news will be out on this soon. One of my best friends was there with him and i was nauseous just listending to the story.

Fuck, buddy of mine was pretty close friends with Kip, this sucks. Vibes to their family and friends.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    So sorry to read this. My condolences to family and friends.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

What an awful story.

Super sad.