Thread: Sage ZXL

Sage ZXL

Deleted my earlier post to get the right model! So, I had the chance to fish the ZXL a day on the river OH MY GOD!!!! Anyone else fished one of these? Any thoughts on them? Any reasons why I shouldnt sell a kidney in order to get one in my hands?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I own a 9 foot 4 weight. I use it primarily for dry flies and soft hackles. It presents a fly gently, and it takes little effort to do so.

Denny

It is a silky rod and I do like a moderate action rod for fishing close range or for nymphing when a lot of rollcast and mending is required. I have cast the Z-axis, ZXL and a Loomis High Line Speed GLX side by side in 5wt with the same big hopper patterns on a breezy day and the ZXL was the clear loser on distance. It couldn't push a wind resistant big fly across the river to the far bank like the faster action rods. It also didn't have the same lifting power when fighting an 18 incher in the rapids. But that isn't what the ZXL was designed for. Like Denny said, its a great choice of stick for putting a fly down gently in smaller waters, spring creek conditions or for any spooky fish situation.

Kind of my thoughts also, I was amazed how smooth and softly it presented a small dry, it was like it would read my mind on presenting a dry. I can totally see where it would struggle with big bugs and long distances, but I have a rod for that...
    By the way so far your not halping me talk myself out of one.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Rumor has it that both the Z-axis and Zxl are due for discontinued status in the next few months- being replaced by newer and costlier models! so if you can hold off for a few months it might only cost you a testicle instead of a kidney!

while I've got a full quiver of Sage rods, I'd check out one of these: http://cfbflyrods.com/rods/trout/ if I were to spend a large wad of cash on another rod! I love my 2handed quiver!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Sages have been averaging a 5 year lifespan or so. At this point replacing them with costlier options is only going to further alienate customers...but it wouldn't surprise me. Their sales meeting is coming up so we'll know for sure soon.

Also the ZXL is surprisingly versatile. It is a smoooooooth stick but as with all of Sage's G5 rods has an incredibly fast recovery when needed. I think it handles wind and bigger bugs no problemo in the right hands although there are def better rods for the job.

I fish the SLT quite a bit.....the ZXL replaced it. I like the SLT better but I have only played around with the ZXL on the water a few times. It's light and seems to be an excellent tool for what it's purpose is. Lotta cash to dish out for one but I'd consider it for sure if I needed a 4-5wt dry fly stick for casts less than 40ft or so. I still dig Winston WT or LT for that situation but the ZXL is a great rod.