road bike wheelset help/WTB

Hey all, I don't frequent this part of the forum but was hoping you all could help me with a road bike wheel dilemma. I moved a bit ago and the movers lost the front wheel to my road bike. It's a 2006 (maybe 07) Lemond Reno but for whatever reason came with Bontrager SSR wheels from the newer model. I haven't ridden the bike since my move, but want to get it sorted and back on the road. Figure I might as well upgrade a bit and get a whole new wheelset, but considering what I paid for the bike I am reluctant to pay more than about $300.

Any suggestions? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on something from Department of Goods and be done with it.

Anyone have something suitable they want to unload?

I have a brand new pair of these http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...e-wh_road.html
    that I am not going to use. They came with a bike and I have nicer wheels. $150 plus shipping.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Thanks, AKPogue. PM sent.

If anyone else has something they want to unload please let me know.

If you decide to just replace the front, i have a blue anodized Ambrosio that i'd pass along for ~50 + shipping, it will need a skewer. AKPogue's seems like a decent deal, when i was shopping around i couldn't find squat under 300, course i'm running Campy which tends to at least triple any list price...[thanks again to 54-46 for the used set!!]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If you want a full set, then there have been a few times recently that the Fulcrum Racing Wheelsets have been listed on the Bonktown or similar sister web sites for 51% off. Otherwise there are a few other options that would be in your price range like Neuvation offerings M series or R series.

I also have a single front wheel that came stock on my Specialized road bike. Alex rim with Ritchey hub. The rear wheel was popping spokes, but front was fine. Rim is slightly discolored (black now more gray). I'd accept a reasonable offer on it if it would help you get back on the road. PM me if you want pictures or more details.
    Last edited by RShea; 04-28-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If you want a full set, then there have been a few times recently that the Fulcrum Racing Wheelsets have been listed on the Bonktown or similar sister web sites for 51% off.
    YMMV, but I've been not so impressed with the Fulcrum Racing 5s that came on my bike that I got off Bonktown. They could use a bit of truing after a moderate amount of riding since Sep (no more than 70-100 mi/wk, when it wasn't snowing), I had to replace the pawl spring, and I get the death wobble while braking (which I know is also a function of the brakes/brake pads/rim cleanliness, but the rim/wheel is not 100% blameless). On the flip side, they're cheap on BT, and as I found out the internals are Campy and easy to replace/service. Not the end of the world -- just mildly annoying -- but didn't expect that from a brand spanking new wheelset

I don't know about the other cheap set that pops up on BT, which if I remember correctly is Easton something or another.

Thanks for the tips--I didn't realize bonktown was still open for business. Somehow I thought it went the way of Tramdock.

This. $270 shipped to your door. Thank me later.