Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    A couple pics from a couple weeks ago in the San Juans. Trip was surprisingly low on fish count, except a few nice Cutts in a tiny creek above Rico (the town).

I do love fishing in the red rock desert!

Perfect day.

Some pics from the last month or so.

The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Must have hit a thousand......

Albino rainbow? First one of these I've caught. Made it easy to know where to cast, as orange fish kinda stand out...

^^^ Very cool!
    Might also be a Golden Rainbow (also known as a Palomino trout)? Either way, pretty neat stuff.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Albino trout exist but for such a vulnerable fish to survive outside a segregated hatchery tank is unlikely. That isn't albino, anyhow, it has pigment. Sometimes your fish is stocked to assess whether a small fishery is viable for future stockings. Biologists can do a visual survey to check holdover. Sand Creek ponds in ID may still have some "banana trout" left over from a survey done a couple seasons back.

Golden Rainbow Trout
    Oncorhynchus mykiss
    Species overview. The golden rainbow trout is a gold-orange rainbow trout raised under artificial fish culture conditions and stocked as a novelty for angling sport. The golden rainbow was developed from one fish, a single female trout with a genetic mutation that gave her a mixed golden and normal rainbow trout coloration. She was found in the West Virginia hatchery system in 1954. Through selective breeding with regularly marked rainbow trout, an all-gold, golden rainbow trout was developed. In 1963, this fish strain was popularized as the “West Virginia Centennial Golden Trout.” Pennsylvania and other states hybridized the pure strain of West Virginia golden trout with normal rainbows and produced palomino trout, which were true genetic palominos. Palomino trout were first stocked in Pennsylvania in 1967. Since then, the genetic strain in Pennsylvania has weakened, but in recent years the hybrid was selectively bred back closer to the stronger, better-colored golden rainbow trout.

The golden rainbow trout is a different species than the golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita) of some California streams. In fish hatcheries, the rainbow trout has occasionally produced other unusual genetic mutations, such as the blue rainbow trout, whose body color is sky-blue.

Identification: Golden rainbows are a deep golden-yellow in body color, with pinkish lower fins, pink or red tones on their cheeks and with the rainbow’s reddish lateral stripe. There is no spotting on the body or fins.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Is that fish tagged?

Yep, tagged. Came out of the lower section Logan river in N. Utah. They stock this section of the river pretty heavily with rainbows, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of some study or another. I know there's at least one cutthroat tagging project going on, as I've caught one of the subjects.

Can't say I'd want too many of these around, but it was pretty neat to catch. Didn't want the first fly I showed it, but I could still see it circling around a pool behind a big rock (because it was orange). It stayed put long enough for me to get a big foam hopper within striking distance and whammo.

Here's a random assortment of fish I've caught this summer/fall. I live in GA so most of the fishing I do is Bass, but I get some trout fishing in to which is possibly my favorite. I don't fly fish, the chattahoochee in N. GA where I fish is pretty damn tree covered and low flow, so it wouldn't be the best place to learn. for trout I use a spinning reel and 1/16 oz. Rooster Tail. still a little tricky in places but not like fly fishing I would imagine.

Some rainbow and a brooky I believe.

phone pic of a death adder aka copperhead at my uncle's cabin by the river

caught a damn nice Bass night fishing about 7 weeks ago. I used a jitterbug on the bank of a pond. Water was about 18" deep. Sorry for the quality- it's another phone pic. I catch a nice fish on the night I didn't bring my camera.

The next pics are all from today. It was my first day fishing in over 3 weeks. 3 weeks ago today I had a lonboarding wipeout that fractured my skull in 2 places and caused brain bleeding from a ruptured artery in my brain lining which required surgery to fix. The surgery plus head gash needed 41 staples to close up. It has been a life changer and haunting experience to say the least. I'm having a great recovery and taking things real slowly and easy. It was a fabulous day to fish and I've never been more excited to get out and catch some bass. I didn't catch anything over 2 lbs, but I was at a private pond that hasn't been fished in years, and it was a feeding frenzy. I caught 17 fish and got a few pics.

the pond

lovin' it! but not the best pic as I was solo
    Last edited by Paj; 10-19-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Wow man three weeks ago? Looks like you're healin up mighty nice, here's hopin' you have continued success with the recovery. Sweet bass and bow stokeage as well!

@Paj
    Glad you are getting better fast, a little fishing can go a long ways, plus you don't need to wear a helmet to fish

Nice looking fish, I could kick back at the pond too...keep on fishing!

^ Thanks. It's a slow recovery but I'm normal in a cognitive sense, just extremely limited at what I can do physically. Fishing is perfect, it's something I love.

I got a pair of hip waders today to get some tougher areas of the pond that aren't accessible on land, and it was great getting out there, but I'm going to end up returning them for chest waders, or if any maggs have a pair they don't use I'd prefer to buy used to save $.

I had a slightly frayed line just above the hook today and it caused a nice bass to get away which ws frustrating, but I'll be back for redemption tomorrow morning

Here's a 19 lbs salmon caught couple weeks ago on the Manistee river. Took a size 4 sparkle caddis that I tied up myself, that in itself was quite the rewarding feeling.

Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic but of course my buddies camera was dead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	102010  

queen whitey of the provo river. thing had to be pushing 7lbs.

Fishing continues to lack suckiness in GA. I've only got a few weeks before I head back to UT, and I've been enjoying every minute of 70 degree patly cloudy days with great fishing. I've been going for Bass, and they've been cooperating nicely. I've also caught some unexpected fish like a pie and a few nice Cat's, both on bass lures near the bank of the pond.

sorry for the lower pic quality I'm stuck with a P&S.

pie

Cat- Bigger than the pic makes it look, that's a 6" Fluke at the front of it's mouth for reference. woulda been good eating, but I let 'em keep swimming.

yesterday was about 60 and rain, but the fish liked it.

Last edited by Paj; 11-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.

The nighttime is the righttime!

great pics! I love fishing about an hour before sunset through an hour past. Or heading out around midnight and fishing for a while. Big Fish have been caught during both those times

Agreed that night fishing rules. Caught way more fish at night then any other time.

Paj check out these waders looked at tons of waders and tried on a bunch. These seemed to be the best bang for your buck and construction is pretty good on them. I use them 15-20 days a year and they have held up pretty good so far. Only downside is you will have to buy a pair of wading boots but they can be had pretty cheap.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103926780

So after reading the forum for a while, I finally decided to make the jump and join. Figured I'd throw some fish stoke in the mix.

Headed to the Snake yesterday late afternoon. Started throwing brown/black streamer patterns and then small midge nymphs. The nymphs were most productive bringing up lots of whitefish and a few cutthroat to 12 inches.

All in all a good couple of hours on the river. Hopefully I'll bump into some of you on the river or in the mountains this winter. Cheers

Thanks fo the wader recommendation. I'm about to head to an Inn on 210 so I'll wait till next spring.

Fishing in the former CSA states continues to be great. My post on another board from 2 days ago

I took about a week off, but today I got out of work early and it was too nice not to go fishing. Pushing mid-november with a high of 73 degrees, crystal clear skies bordered by fall colors erupting everywhere and the hint of a slight breeze, sounds perfect. I'll get my fill of skiing this winter, so I'm loving this weather, and the fishing is top notch. I started with a buzzbait just for the hell of it since it was such a warm day and 5th cast I caught a tiny ass Bass. I was just surprised I caught anything with topwater this time of year. I switched to some Zoom salamanders that I hadn't used in years, and it was good from there on out. I caught a satisfying number of fish in a short time before the lunker I've been seeking in this pond got tempted into the tomfoolery. It was a good fight and I knew it was a big fish before I saw him; I was just praying it wasn't another freakin catfish.

I was solo so it's hard to get good pics that show the angler holding the fish like in most good fishing pics. Oh well.

open up!

Healthy looking fish

The Instigator

The pond. water was too choppy though....

Beautiful fish Underoos & LexiBell.... Have to ditto schwerty's excuse...will bring along the camera next year.

Not much, but its all I got, sorry for the terrible phone pics. From about a month ago.

Pretty cool little stream up high, saw exactly zero people up here all afternoon, which was extremely surprising considering how short the hike is and the trailhead is at one of the most heavily used lakes/campsites in the area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stream.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	104022

Caught a bunch of these guys lower down

Name:	brook.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	104021

Mostly these up higher

Name:	golden.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	104023

Last wild trout of the '11 season. Caught on Holloween, closing day, on the Tuolumne.

Ok, so we were jonesing for fishing, but only had an afternoon free so couldn't get to the open water that's further away. We decided to go looking for feeder creeks on the resevoir hoping to find trout. My buddy had seen fish in this canal before so we decided to take a look. The thing held nice fish! So we said what the hell.

Fish on!

Almost in the drink

Irrigation canal bow

coastal chrome