Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Daywalker has one surgically implanted in his Cerebral Cortex...well, he SHOULD.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Got a Amazon gift certificate for the holidays and now that the Kindle has a back light, I'm planning on purchasing a Kindle Paperwhite. Only thing I'm trying to decide between is with or without special offers: any thoughts? How annoying are the special offers?

I have special offers - it does not get in the way of reading at all. it's just a screen saver. I've had every Kindle since the first one - it revolutionized my reading (massively increased the number of books I read) habits = and the paper white is the best one ever.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Bump because this seems like the right place for this. I just got a Kindle (free through a Hotels.com promotion) and I'm trying to find a way to either rent or borrow books. I never, and I mean never re-read a book so it doesn't make sense to buy the book just to have it on the device forever. I've been reading books on my iPad through my local library via Overdrive but that doesn't work for the Kindle. Any ideas?
    Sorry I missed this. most libraries now do you have kindle books. Also Amazon Prime let you borrow books.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums

lil flowing got a fire hd today and first thing i had loaded for him was The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!

I really like my Kindle Fire. I have a second gen Kindle as well, and the Kindle app on my iPad, so all is right with the world. Awesome.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Got a paperwhite for christmas. Mine has the adds and like someone else said, it's just a screen saver and not in the way at all. Big, big fan of this thing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by calisnow View Post
    I have special offers - it does not get in the way of reading at all. it's just a screen saver. I've had every Kindle since the first one - it revolutionized my reading (massively increased the number of books I read) habits = and the paper white is the best one ever.
    Thanks (ccard too): just ordered a paperwhite w/ offers and should have it in a few days.

received one for Christmas. this thing's the bomb. reading London's Into the Abyss gratis. learning Italian w/ free app. getting a secondary power source for those long flights so i can watch vids.
    Last edited by HansJob; 01-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

I have the Nook Touch. I'm a physical book fan, but you really can't beat e-readers for travel or even for carrying big books around town. I'd like to eventually get one of the new lit versions, but mine will do for now. The lit version seems the perfect travel reading system though.

The Kindle has made it easy for me to read long classic books - stuff by Tolstoy, Proust etc. You can gradually chip away at them when you have a few spare minutes - a few pages here, a few pages there - on your iphone/ipad/physical Kindle. Every device automatically syncs with every other device so you never lose your place. No 10 pound massive brick to carry or locate.

Before you know it you're an ejumacated person reading high and mighty books.

For reference books or real studying I prefer paper still - it's faster to locate information and flip forward/back in sections. But for linear, long-form novels e-readers are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by calisnow View Post
    The Kindle has made it easy for me to read long classic books - stuff by Tolstoy, Proust etc.
    Also pretty sweet that most of them are FREE on e-readers since they're public domain books now. I have a ton of classics on my Kindle, which has really helped me catch up on stuff I should have read ages ago. The selection of free books is pretty amazing. You could seriously read hundreds if not thousands of great books without ever paying a dime (aside from the Kindle/Nook itself)!

on sale on Amazon today for $49. Might have to pull the trigger...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Love my kindle still. Best choice is to get one of the nicer models with the touch screen and backlight.

amazon also added family account type stuff s you can share between people

I wonder what ever happened to my Kindle? I use my iPad for all that kind of stuff now, but the Kindle is great for long flights and trips since the battery lasts forever.

I've had a kindle for a few months now and love it. it gets charged a couple times a month. light and small enough that I always have it with me. Great for flights, or when you are away from power for a few days. lighter than a book in the pack.

I've always been a paper-book girl, but I've been intrigued by the Kindles. I picked up a refurb'd Fire HD on Amazon Warehouse Deals a few months ago for dirt cheap, and I really like it. I get most of the ebooks through my library, but occasionally they don't have what I'm after, so I end up borrowing the book version instead. I still like the feel of an actual book, but I really like the convenience of the Kindle. The Fire HD is more of a tablet than just an ereader...nice size, easy to use, and has email, apps, Prime Music and movies, etc.

Since I bought refurbished versions, I had to go through a few glitchy devices before I finally got one that worked as it should. Long battery life, super sharp resolution. I'd definitely recommend it.

Anyone use the kindle for reading (loads of) scientific papers? Opinions?

I will be reading a lot of papers in the months (years) to come, and typically like to get away from my computer screen for that. But I hate printing tons of papers so thought of this as an alternative. Can you put comments in? How does it work with pdf's?

Reading this has me thinking twice about a kindle cuz while there is a lot of culture in this small town we only got one bookstore and a library that needs replacing so a kindle would give me acess to more books, what are the costs like after you have the kindle?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Anyone use the kindle for reading (loads of) scientific papers? Opinions?

I will be reading a lot of papers in the months (years) to come, and typically like to get away from my computer screen for that. But I hate printing tons of papers so thought of this as an alternative. Can you put comments in? How does it work with pdf's?
    You can read pdfs, take notes, search, etc. on a Kindle but the small screen size makes it hard to read full size papers. If you don't have bionic eyes you'll need to zoom in and scroll to get to different parts of the page. There are tools to convert to an ebook format but they tend to completely screw up graphs and diagrams (probably equations as well). Haven't tried it but I've heard that k2pdfopt works pretty well for this - it reformats the pdf for a smaller screen size rather than trying to convert to ebook format. You might try it on a few sample papers and see if the results are reasonable.