Another I seek the one ski quiver...

Looking for some advise on some new skis. I am not skiing the frequency I previously enjoyed due the proverbial new family additions. I pretty much only ski on snow days and at Squaw, that means you ski a lot of crud (which I enjoy) after the first couple hours. I am considering Wrenegade's (apparently the 161's are unobtanium), Gotama's and Belafonte's. I currently have/recently had some Districts (soft), Mantras (OK) and AC-30's (suck in fresh). It would be great if the ski could lay a decent edge on the groomer as well.

I seek the one-ski quiver for Squaw. (BTW; 175 lbs). Thanks!

I currently have a big boner for the Dynastar Legend Pro 105 and the Blizzard Cochise. Same Class as the Gots and Belafonte's. That should help complicate things for you.

Can't really go wrong with Belafonte, Cochise, Influence 105, Vicik. Lots of people like the new gotamas, I dont. The Legend 105 is a great ski, the 192 is a real ski, don't look at it unless you liked the original LP. The smaller sizes are more along the lines of the recent Legend Pro Rider.
    If you like the idea of the Wrenegade, also consider the JagShark, Prophet/Influence 115, XXL.

The new Cochise or the Elan Olympus would seem perfect for a lighter skier at Squaw. IMO you need some metal there for the variable ice and set up crud, but you don't want to lose bump capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    The new Cochise or the Elan Olympus would seem perfect for a lighter skier at Squaw. IMO you need some metal there for the variable ice and set up crud,
    A ski with metal will certainly work more reliably in the crud. However I haven't yet skied one that I've loved in powder.

I did however recently have a chance to take a couple of runs on an Atomic Atlas (the watered down 184), and it held up just fine in crud. Having watched some folks on the 192s, they seem to work just fine in deep fresh.

but you don't want to lose bump capability.
    I've used the Blizzard Answer (have metal, plenty damp) in that capacity (at Squaw) this season. I do however reach for something larger on deep days, and would be pretty unhappy if I didn't have that option.

One ski to rule in all conditions is hard, but I'd take a good look at something like the Atlas or the Lhasa (not the Shoots, despite similar dimensions). I'd also consider the EHP, though as you're only ski you might want something you can relax on a bit from time to time. Depends a little on your fitness and attitude about skiing.

The other question (for the OP) is: Are you getting rid of your old boards? If not, supplementing what they are not good at is a much easier proposition. Sure, you might only plan on getting out on great days, but if we were to have another meager year, you'd probably still want to get out. For that I'd hang on to the Mantras.

The 191 Wrenegade is a perfect 1 ski quiver for squaw in my opinion. Plenty stable for the run out in the palisades, does rail gs turns on the groom very well in my opinion, and Pow is a lot of fun on this ski. I love mine in the crud and is comparable to my line motherships which have a metal layup. They do have early rise and I find the, older model at least, to be plenty maneuverable in hairy situations. I liked these better than the XXL. One thing I didn't like that much was the huge tail twin tip, but they fixed that.

I haven't skied the cochise, but from all the praise it's getting, probably worth a look.

I second klauss's wren opinion. I skied the girlish 181 as an everyday skis this season. Great crud ski and for me railed gs turns on all but very icy groomers, but thats probably more my problem than the ski.

+1 for Wrens.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    The 191 Wrenegade is a perfect 1 ski quiver for squaw in my opinion. Plenty stable for the run out in the palisades, does rail gs turns on the groom very well in my opinion, and Pow is a lot of fun on this ski. I love mine in the crud and is comparable to my line motherships which have a metal layup. They do have early rise and I find the, older model at least, to be plenty maneuverable in hairy situations. I liked these better than the XXL. One thing I didn't like that much was the huge tail twin tip, but they fixed that.

I haven't skied the cochise, but from all the praise it's getting, probably worth a look.
    Some great suggestions, thanks.

Klauss; how was the Wren in the trees?

While they aren't a 185 ski with tip and tail rocker, its not a ski I would hesitate to grab because I anticipate skiing trees the entire day. I've never thought, damn I need a different ski to get through these better or to have more fun...

I don't discount that there are better tools for tree skiing, but it's an everyday ski in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by flipsRscary View Post
    A ski with metal will certainly work more reliably in the crud. However I haven't yet skied one that I've loved in powder.
    Hear you. Part of it for me is that even when Squaw gets a dump, it's Sierra Cement, and most days chopped to hell by lunch. Thus metal. So yeah, I'd definitely think about something like a Lhasa or Billy Goat if I were just going to come out to play in fresh uncut. And your point about the Mantras is important; OP could keep them for the crud, where they excel, and go for something more pow dedicated. Switch at lunch. I take two skis to Squaw every time I go...

Has anyone found a picture of the Cochise profile online? Can't seem to find one anywhere...

Squaw does not really have any tight Tree's compared to a guy back east or PNW. So?

Any of the West Cost Independent companies have multiple options that make sense..

Local to Tahoe you got
    PM Gear: Lahsa or any of their standard offerings
    Praxis: Made right there in Incline
    Moment: Getting to be a real mainline manufacture look at their offering @ Porters
    And there is ON3P: in Portland but these guys are doing everything Right Vicik looks Awesome

You should really try the 183 PM Gear ski. Hands down the best in class for Tahoe (Not a deep day) And really allot of fun in Tahoe pow (If you have experience in POW)

Probably the lightest and least demanding for us Non Athletes

Support you local American Ski manufacture. Their stuff is better or the equal of anything out there and the money stays here
    Last edited by MTT; 04-24-2011 at 01:48 AM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

When I used to live in CA and ski Squaw regularly I would use my Explosivs and 2nd Gen Gotama's. Got's were more friendly on groomers, but the Explosivs killed it in the crud. Didn't have LP's back then, but know they would be somewhere right down the middle of those two. Funny how rocker makes us start thinking different about tools like those that are still perfect for a place like Squaw.

lib tech pow nas

For a metal all mtn ski that would handle the deep, the line prophet 115, if thats not too wide to be your daily driver.