Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Job interview question

So, due to possible elimination of my position, I've been looking for a while. Got an interview with an oil exploration company coming up. You know, the BIG oil exploration company.

They're flying me to Anchorage, then to the north slope, all expenses paid. From what I gather, I'm up against 2 or 3 other candidates.

So the HR letter says, dress for "business casual" in anchorage, and "casual, dress for arctic conditions" on the north slope.

Not having been in the interviewing market for some time, and not having interviewed for a private sector job in over 25 years (holy cow!)...what is casual and what is business casual for big company/Alaska interview standards? And do I call the HR lady and ask her directly?

(Part doo will be forthcoming)
    Living vicariously through myself.

I'd definitely call her and ask. No stupid questions, just stupid actions as a result of not asking questions.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Business causal means sports coat with nice shirt (tie would be nice, considering that this is a job interview), slacks (pressed, of course) and some decent dress shoes.

Oh, and bring a fish. Ya never know, AKPM may be on to something.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

X2 for confirming with the HR

But just over the border in the natural resources sector, 'business casual' most often means no suit and tie, no jeans and sneakers. Shirts should have either long sleeves or a collar, preferably both. Think 'smart and functional', even in your choice of outerwear; you should be able to go from an office meeting to a field tour and still look professional.

Best of luck!

I hear business casual, I think nice slacks and a buttoned shirt and nice shoes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Nobody ever lost a job because they found themselves slightly overdressed in comparison to the people who already work there.

I would go with what Viva says.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post

...flying me to Anchorage, then to the north slope...dress for "business casual" in anchorage, and "casual, dress for arctic conditions" on the north slope...
    What a great gig. I got flown to Central America on an interview once. It was great- ended up in a job too.

I can't help but think that "arctic casual" means Carhartts, a button down shirt and boots for the weather. Dress as the Site Engineer does.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

It's AK, so wear your nice flannel. (not 100% serious here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I know business casual in NY =\= Denver =\= Boulder =\= Aspen

So I'd ask.... Probably gonna guess slacks and a dress shirt

adit
    Good luck
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

most importantly, in-line w/ what viva says, NICE shoes (+ matching belt) and a sport coat. Shoes don't have to be oldlarry loafers, but obviously not something out the depths of your closet that haven't been worn, dusted, oiled or cleaned in ages. Jacket, anything goes, but IMO the blazer/sport coat pretty much has you covered whenever it's business casual. It'll also help keep you warm.

business casual is usually dockers style pants, nice shoes and button up collared shirt. With that said, i've never went into an interview without a tie. So maybe go with a white shirt and a tie. If you've got the HR lady's #, just call and ask. But i think they7 are basically saying a suit isnt necessary. Ive never worn a jacket or a suit to an interview. But I am also in CA and id assume they prefer we dont come in sweating like a pig to interviews, heh. But i however have ALWAYS worn a tie. Just get a tie thats not too flashy, like a black and grey or something wear some black pants, a white shirt or a shirt to match the tie and call her a day. Business casual can include a tie. I wore one daily for my last company but with dockers not slacks and just a standard pair of dress shoes. Id rather be the only one wearing a tie than the only one without one. Good luck on the new gig, let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    X2 for confirming with the HR

But just over the border in the natural resources sector, 'business casual' most often means no suit and tie, no jeans and sneakers. Shirts should have either long sleeves or a collar, preferably both. Think 'smart and functional', even in your choice of outerwear; you should be able to go from an office meeting to a field tour and still look professional.

Best of luck!
    This. What would you take potential investors out in the field with?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    business casual is usually dockers style pants, nice shoes and button up collared shirt. With that said, i've never went into an interview without a tie. So maybe go with a white shirt and a tie. If you've got the HR lady's #, just call and ask. But i think they7 are basically saying a suit isnt necessary. Ive never worn a jacket or a suit to an interview. But I am also in CA and id assume they prefer we dont come in sweating like a pig to interviews, heh. But i however have ALWAYS worn a tie. Just get a tie thats not too flashy, like a black and grey or something wear some black pants, a white shirt or a shirt to match the tie and call her a day. Business casual can include a tie. I wore one daily for my last company but with dockers not slacks and just a standard pair of dress shoes. Id rather be the only one wearing a tie than the only one without one.
    Jacket should match the weather. I wear jackets to business meetings in LA, but they are pretty light. Me thinks this jacket should not look like it would be toast if it got a little oil on it. And the field tour would be in milder weather than the "arctic".

In general with interviews, they want to get an impression of what it would be like to work with you. A stuffed suit is not what they are looking for but someone who can represent them well and get the job done.

If you haven't been in the private sector, what sector have you been in if you don't mind me asking?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

The HR lady many times has pull. Make her laugh about your fashion skills, make her remember you, and you get bumped up sometimes.

Oh, this above is because Viva's suggestion might be over dressed for that company, or boss.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Just dress like a liberal, I hear that goes over well with big oil AK types.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post

If you haven't been in the private sector, what sector have you been in if you don't mind me asking?
    Fire departments. This is a big oil fire department.

I do think it's possible to overdress in Alaska...at least in a business sense.

Unfortunately, I have been wearing a uniform for the past 25 years. I own one suit and it does not fall into the business casual category.
    I do own carharts, sorrels...hell, I've even got a good selection of genuine Dutch Harbor fisherman hoodies with the sleeves cut 3/4 and Xtratufs. I'm thinking I can pull a decent shirt and tie together, but a blazer is not in my current wardrobe needs.

It's funny, but in fire department interviewing, the dress rules are very straight forward...charcoal suit, white shirt, black shoes, tie. No exceptions. Maybe because the rest of our dress rules are also so rigid.

I'll call her tomorrow and get her take on it.

Suit made from an animal that you killed yourself, topped off with shiny Xtra Tufs.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Oilfield is definitely different when you are doing on site interviews regardless of the position. I am an engineer, and when i did my interview for the rockies region years ago I wore a nice flannel (not a pendleton, but not frayed), carhartts, steel toes and a mountain hardware jacket. This was appropriate for the interview as we were out in the slop checking out both drilling and completions operations. If it is up on the slope, I am going to assume BP and it could go either way for the dress code. Definitely give a call and find out what you will be doing on the interview and you should be able to dress appropriately for the tasks. When I take prospective employees out to sites in the middle of winter and they show up overdressed for the location and underdressed for the weather it sets off red flags.

Capris, loafers and a Winger T-Shirt.

Good luck!!

Let Todd Palin be your guide

Start growing that goatee
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Capris, loafers and a Winger T-Shirt.

Good luck!!
    you forgot to specify that the winger shirt be a scoop necked one
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Make sure the arctic gear doesn't look new. Wash those carhartt's 50 times if you have to.

^^Having a tough time deciding on that one. My old ones have oil stains, construction glue and frayed cuffs. I'm thinking the new ones, really.

Office interview business casual = Vivas's on the mark, sportcoat, dress shirt,no tie, pressd slacks, dress shoes or nice loafers ($600 would be nice) .

Field --go with the new carharts (washed a few times) but old beat up boots. You'll get cred for having been out in the field before but you'll also show your dressing up for an important event.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Checked in with HR. Dockers and a button down for Anchorage. I'm going to step it up with a tie, but no jacket. Carhartts and a flannel for the north.

It is ironic I'll be interviewing for Big Petroleum on earth day, no?