Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    will be there, too. got a little transportation problem. will start in Ecuador and travel (without skistuff) down to Santiago.

Anybody ideas about how to get my stuff from Ecuador (Quito) to CHile (Santiago)?

Other option: anybody flying from Europe (Germany, Austria would be best) to Santiago mid of July? would pay your shipping expenses and i got a big skibag for your stuff, too.

El Nino or not I'd love to get back to LL this year but no can do... means my apartment in Corbus is up for rent though, so if anyones looking for a place for the season contact me

for more details see my other posts

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...or-2011-Season

Has anyone tried to ship their gear down from the States before? I'm about to take off on a long trip and want to send my stuff down to a friends place in Santiago so I don't have to carry it with me until July. UPS and other quotes are like $600...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRider View Post
    Has anyone tried to ship their gear down from the States before? I'm about to take off on a long trip and want to send my stuff down to a friends place in Santiago so I don't have to carry it with me until July. UPS and other quotes are like $600...

E-mail UPS and ask for the TGR Douchebag special, codeword "enlosandes"

Hoping to make it down for the FWT comps. Wish they would announce dates so i can book...

I'll be there most of the summer, mostly in the Santiago area. Anyone looking for a spanish-fluent ski/travel guide give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'll be there most of the summer, mostly in the Santiago area. Anyone looking for a spanish-fluent ski/travel guide give me a shout.
    Buy you a beer in Santiago early September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRider View Post
    same here with shipping from Europeistan.

Yeah! the season is arriving to SA. Cold temps in BS, firts storms in los andes. Hope to see you all down there. Las Lenas y the spot por this year.
    Ski Argentina!

Quote Originally Posted by rippinstyle View Post
    Lookin at making the trip south. What is everyones experience with flights? is there a better airport to fly out of the U.S. from? any specific city in south america usually have cheaper rates?
    Flying to Ushuaia in November. Anyone have suggestions for an airfare site or travel agent that'd help me find the best price for a ticket? The few flights I've found have been around $2000usd. Any scoop on where I can find fares for a little less would be appreciated.

I used http://www.vayama.com/ last year to find a cheap flight to Bariloche.

Paid $850 on Continental last early September SFO->Houston->BA. Flight from BA to Bariloche was $400.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    Flying to Ushuaia in November. Anyone have suggestions for an airfare site or travel agent that'd help me find the best price for a ticket? The few flights I've found have been around $2000usd. Any scoop on where I can find fares for a little less would be appreciated.
    Just got back from a business trip to BA, Ushuaia, and Rio Grande last week. US to BA (denver > houston > BA) was $1,600 on Continental / United. Tix from BA to Ushuaia round trip was $450 on Aerolineas Argentinas so your about right. This is approx what I have paid for the last couple years give or take $100. I have not been able to find much cheaper.

On another note... I was surprised at all the building going on in Ushuaia this time around... even finishing up the big hotel that has been sitting idle for years that over looks Ushuaia (cant remember name). Seems like $$$ is moving around in the area which is good.
    Last edited by hawkgt; 05-05-2011 at 02:52 PM.

LAN was spamming me yesterday with very cheap fares to Chile and Arg for travel mid-August onwards

We're already booked using miles.

Longshot...but if any Seattle-area mags are headed down to Santiago or BA in mid-late July and can take an extra pair in their ski bag I would throw you some serious cash.

I'm traveling for a while beforehand and can't take all my stuff.

Air Canada seat sale was around $660 (YOW-YYZ-SCL return) a few weeks ago - cheapest I've seen. Actually looking for 4 tickets to Lyon or Geneva.

After four years in a row (2 wks at a time) skiing at mostly different places (and getting all my gear/luggage stolen prior to heading back home 2 yrs ago). This summer, i'll be visiting my in-laws east of Lyon. First trip with the whole family since 2003.

I'll confirmed that it was pretty bad in the Santiago latitudes (Las Lenas-Santiago-Portillo, etc). Pantagonia was pretty sweet when I was there.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

This week's pic should provide a little South America stoke.

Entre Rios, Las Lenas

Looking at hitting SA late August / early September

@stantonbum: we should get in contact
    @gnarwhale: my gf is actually in SA and was looking for flights from BA to U, she said oneway to Usuaia is 200-250 usd atm. but i dont know the company.

Am in the midst of planning my first trip down to SA to ride and looking for advice...read a bit of good info on here already.

Anyone have suggestions in terms of booking accommodation? Best done in advance or wait to see what conditions are like? I get the sense places like LL, you gotta be prepared before you arrive. How quickly do these resorts get fully booked?

So far looking at Portillo and LL for last 2 weeks of July. Filling other days with tours around other Chilean resorts and Bariloche for August.

Any other tips, suggestions would be sweet.

@ marius, Ill be in touch closer to the time. V busy with work right now so not much time for planning.

Hey!
    I've been trying to get established long-term-style in Chile for the summer ski seasons. I have a ton of experience down there, from studying Spanish in college, to a handful of recent ski trips. Making the jump to guiding is next. I have been working with David Owen of PowderQuest tours. If we can fill the July 30th Summer Ski Escape tour, I will be one of the guest guides, and this would be a great start for me in being able to do things other than freeskiing competitions.

So if you or anyone you know has been looking at doing a killer guided trip with a reputable guide company (and ski with me!) this would be a great time to do it.

Learn more at my website or at the PowderQuest site.

Thanks!
    Drew

Looking for some advice on lodging in Las Lenas. Gonna be there for 2 weeks in late July/early August. Don't need anything fancy, with emphasis on price. Would pefer a hostel but doesn't seem like they have any. Are there really any cheap options? Appreciate any input.

Cap in Los Molles. Probably the most expensive hostel in the world, but its a nice place.
    caphostel.com

Puyehue-Cordon Caulle Volcano eruption in Chile this weekend....

Spectacular photos @ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...383031&index=0

clearing ash from the streets in Bariloche

Holy shit mother nature is f*cking badass!

Deaths? Yikes. Vibes to those affected. Scary shit. Be safe all.

The Passion is in the Risk