gunit130 Guest

Important Question: What shades do you use for mountain biking?

I have some old Smiths that are getting to be really gaper looking. I really like them because they have the lenses that work in low-light and sun.

What's next?

They gotta block the wind.

Oakley jawbones.search.buy.wear.the Oakley low light lens is second to none and the others are more than acceptable.
    I live, I love, I slay. I am content.-conan the barbarian

smith V90's

3 lens, easy to swap, lifetime guarantee

For cloudy/afternoon/evening riding I have some clear safety glasses from the hardware store that were $10 for a 4-pack. The really steezy safety glasses look like slightly-below-steezy shades, and they do a good job blocking the wind/dust.

I x2 mntlions v90 suggestion. If you are not into the "I look like a racer but can still wear these to the discotheque later" look, check out the Smith Prophets too. I use both with the Ignitor lens and have been stoked on them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    For cloudy/afternoon/evening riding I have some clear safety glasses from the hardware store that were $10 for a 4-pack. The really steezy safety glasses look like slightly-below-steezy shades, and they do a good job blocking the wind/dust.
    Word. I don't really ever ride with sunglasses. I guess I would if I lived somewhere with no trees.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I am still in Smith Toasters. I am a mountain bike guide about 5-6 days a week during the summers here in JH. I like the Smith Toaster as it has the interchangeable lenses and is small and light. It doesn't seem to fog that much.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

First, I only cover my ugly mug with Smith products. That being said, If using glasses instead of goggles, I wear the Prophets. They have interchangeable lenses including polarized. The style is similar to the Methods which I really like.

Toasters are fine if you have a small face; but, something like the Prophet will give you better coverage as the Toaster frames and lenses are tiny.

I'm sure you can find good stuff from other companies as well; but, for many reasons, Smith is one company I choose to support and endorse whole heartedly. Product line and customer service are second to none.

Currently sporting Smith Whispers, easy lens change-out and lots of lens options. That said, get whatever fits your face best.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    ^^^ This. I wear the "really steezy safety glasses that look like slightly-below-steezy shades". They work great and I don't cry when I smash the shit out of 'em by wrecking with them in my pack or stepping on them.

--Ben
    rad.

I definitely like the Photochromatic lenses- Particularly going from under trees to wide open, or back under trees as the sun is going down.

I have a 4 or 5 year old pair of specialized photochromatics, and while I don't wear them socially, I'm pretty happy with them on the bike.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Since I only have one eye (I'm pretty much blind out of my right eye) it's very important for me to ride with protective eyewear. I cannot afford to loose the vision out of my left eye. I never wear lenses with tint, always clear - otherwise my eyes have a hard time adjusting to the shaded areas.

with that said, the only glasses that have TRUE clear lenses is Oakley. Every other brand I've tried either had distortion or a slight tint.

I wear Oakley Half Jackets with XLJ lens

gunit130 Guest
    Prophet's look pretty cool.

I like the Oakley Frogskins, but they seem like they would fall off your face mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    Prophet's look pretty cool.

I like the Oakley Frogskins, but they seem like they would fall off your face mountain biking.
    if you're going to ride with glasses, it need a rubber nose piece otherwise they won't stay put.

I've used, abused, and loved every pair of Native's I've had. They stay put even when I'm soaked, and they've survived a decent thrashing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    Since I only have one eye (I'm pretty much blind out of my right eye)
    Holy shit are you serious? That's awesome!!

I'm going to have so much fun with that knowledge!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Winchester $7 yellow shooting glasses work well enough, are lightweight, some rubber to hold 'em in place, and, well, economically disposable. We ride in trees often here in the PNW so I'm not sure I would be rockin' these fashion horses somewhere like Moab.

Takin' old one eye to the optometrist just took an an entirely different meaning. However, I don't know what it means now.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Holy shit are you serious? That's awesome!!

I'm going to have so much fun with that knowledge!
    I thought you knew? I punctured my retina in a freak accident when I was a toddler I don't know what I would give you have perfect vision.

I have to use prescription glasses, and all I could afford at the time was having lenses made for my Smith Shelters. They work alright when its bright out, but I don't have anything for evenings/nights. Next time I'll be getting one of the Smith interlock prescription glasses.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    I've used, abused, and loved every pair of Native's I've had. They stay put even when I'm soaked, and they've survived a decent thrashing just fine.
    I'm on my 5th pair of Natives (Silencers). No questions asked warranty. Interchangable lenses. They're perfect for everything and I take them pretty much everywhere. Bought my first pair in November 2005 when I got Lasik and haven't worn any other pair since.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

the free shades that came with my giro helmet... not sure what they're called but they are indestructible. also use Oakley moto goggles with clear lens for mud

Have a pair of rudy projects with three different lenses.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit