Selling a vehicle with a lien in another state

I'm moving to London in a month or so and have to sell my truck. I still have about a $9500 loan on the truck that I won't be able to pay off before i have to sell the truck. To further complicate matters, I'm going to drive the truck from Montana to South Dakota and sell it there. My wife's family lives in sodak and we're storing some stuff there, selling my motorcycle to my brother in law and mooching until visas come through.

Anything i should know? how do i sell a truck with a lien on the title? take the buyer down to the bank and have them pay the loan/me at the same time? Any real complications to doing this from out of state?

Thanks!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

You should call the lien holder and ask them.

What splat said. You aren't the first person to move to a different state and then sell your vehicle before the loan is paid off. This will vary by state and lender, though, so your best bet is to see what the lien holder recommends and how they can make it convenient for you.
    focus.

wow what an outstanding idea and i can't explain why i didnt think of it myself.

and im not being sarcastic at all, thanks for making me feel like an idiot.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Just ask them where to send the title and payment for your outstanding lien once it is sold, and they will issue the buyer a clean title once they receive funds. Or, in most states, you can give the buyer the title, send payment to the lender, and they will send you a release which you can give to the buyer who will present the release to the new state's DMV who will issue a clean title.

Out of curiosity, what are you selling, and what are you looking to get for it?

good luck in London!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Are you Tom S?
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Nope, not Tom S.

Hunter, thanks, so far things are falling in to place, but still a shitton to do before we leave in two weeks! pretty crazy over all.

And Austin, it's a 2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab w/ 6' bed. SE package probably have about 35k miles by the time we get to sodak. I'm looking to get $20,000
    Ben Franklin