Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FKNA!! Speedflying in a SitSki TR!

So Stoked!

I've been paragliding for a while and always wanted to work out a way to fly on snow with the sitski but until this season I've not managed it. Over the last couple of months I've been working with Steve Mayer from Cloud9 Paragliding in SLC to fit a harness to the sitski and do some test flights with a speedwing.

We're not allowed to fly in-resort at Canyons, but can go through the backcountry gate from the top of the 9990 chair and have an almost perfect slope to practice on, then ski back in-bounds to ride the chair back up again. For the last couple of weeks whenever Steve has been able to make it through to help me launch the weather has beaten us and it's not been flyable. Today we were hoping it'd be on our side in the morning before the snow came in and the wind picked up so I fitted the harness overnight and we headed up.

Covered in gopros to record the glory/carnage

The wind was good but it was a complete white-out with cloud cover, fog and about three meters of visibility, bummer.

We tried to wait it out but the fog wasn't clearing at all, at one point skiing down I realised that the speck of clarity in the distance I was focusing on wasn't actually in the distance at all but something on my goggle lens. Comletely disorientating, at one point we had to rely on 'Marko......Polo" to keep direction behind the leader.

Heading down it became a little clearer and we decided to do a short hop on the lower slope to test everything out. Someone had built a kicker and it seemed like a pretty good place to set up and launch from.

I need outriggers to ski, but ditched them for the flight. Starting with them and then switching to the control lines just isnt an option and they're just something to get caught in lines. That means I'm reliant on someone helping me launch, to make sure I stay upright long enough to build the speed needed for the wing to take over. When the ski is in contact with the ground I have very little, if any control over it. If an edge catches then I'm going to that side. Then I can only try and use the wing to steer and get back upright again.

(I know you want to know who the hot chick is. It's Kaylin, the other winner of the 'ultimate mountain gig' and two time Olympian. Yes she rips, yes she has a boyfriend, no I don't have naked pics.)

So with the help of Steve and Kaylin I managed to launch for a really short little test flight:

money shot

With such a tame pitch I was never really going to get much airtime, but wanted to be able to get a feel for the wing and practice launch/landing. I barely had time for a coupe of turns before I realised I'd run out of slope and needed to set up for the landing.

Oh Shit, trees.

No worries I'll just head straight through that gap, easy.

Or not, here is good too.

My left edge caught as soon as it touched the snow and carved me toward the tree, I just collapsed the wing and let myself fall over before I had a chance to crash into anything. again.

And in less than 10 seconds it was over.

It's not much, but hopefully the weather will be better this weekend and I'll be able to go from the top of 9990 for a decent flight. I'm just stoked that it worked!

Speedflying sitski, fuck yeah!

Video stoke:
    Last edited by SitSki13; 04-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.

haha wicked man! you owned that tree at 8 seconds

that is too friggin awesome, very cool and keep at it! The pov looked like you were loving it.

Solid Fun!

Eddie the Eagle is proud.

I friggen love this.

Badass, thanks for keeping up the stoke level!
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Mary Poppins says DIE LIVING!

I support this

ha! that's awesome. agreed - tree at 8 secs got its ass handed to it.

The laugh at the end was great, well done

Nice work! Are you going to go fully airborne (like 100's of feet up) eventually, or focus on skimming terrain?
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Just plain awesome that you are out there givin 'er hell. Well done, I'll have my fingers crossed for good weather for your next flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Nice work! Are you going to go fully airborne (like 100's of feet up) eventually, or focus on skimming terrain?
    I already paraglide, which is about getting height and distance but speedflying is all about prolonging the ground rush and playing with the terrain.

Do you ever film when there aren't trees around? I think there's a tree magnet in your orange leg bonnet.

Awesome stuff. Can't wait to see a proper flight.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Hey Sitski...stoked for you! I just got a xt16 last week, and been out with it every day...jea!

If it helps at all, your edges don't do shit with two skis either. It's all about the wing...even if they did, they'd get the canopy sideways on you and you'd get slapped once you lifted off. I look at the skis on my feet with the wing overhead like they're ywo saucers, and that's about it.
    Maybe you could fix some "training skis" on your sitski like you would put training wheels on a kite. I know it sounds gay, but that's what it would probably take to do it without assistance if that's what you're after. ...and next time, fly where it's wide open, and obviously in better weather. Out of 2000 people speedriding worldwide, 9 of them died last year alone. Gotta take it serious. Thanks for the TR.....the only other guy (minus Couloirman) on this board with the ballz to SF is sitski...go figure.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

Fuck that was awesome
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

That was awesome, Andy!

You're a regular wright brother Andy

fkna good stuff, looking forward to more.

Yeah, Andy!

Someday...the Eiger.

The potential for brilliance here is un-limted, as is the potential for epic failure.

Good luck, it is fun going along for the ride with you on this adventure.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

you're the man! so badass!

Insanity has served you well! I'm soooo stoked for you!
    I can't remember...

What about going over the ridge to scotts where the run out is longer?

I know the inter resort stuff is a hurdle, but at the end of the day I don't think anyone is really going to bitch about something this cool?

Very cool to see you getting after it!

Quote Originally Posted by SitSki13 View Post

Awesome job. This photo makes it look like you ran her over during takeoff.