Charlotte, NC You been?

I've got a project taking me to Charlotte, NC for an extended period of time and I'm looking for any reccomendations on what neighborhoods are cool to live in, restaurants and bars to check out, nightlife, parks, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, I know Chatahoochie Ski Area will be closed, just to save you the keystrokes.
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    a clavern meeting with mrw?

I grew up there. The national white water center is there, and you can mountain bike, and raft. Charlotte has grown a lot in terms of night life, but I got the fuck out as fast as I could, so I don't know much about it. What are you looking for in terms of a neighborhood, kid friendly, good schools?

South Charlotte is sort of a yuppie area, lots of road bikers, suburban sprawl, etc. That is where my folks live.

One good thing about CLT is that you are close to the coast ~2 hours, and the mountains, ~2 to ~3 depending on where you head. There is a lot of rock climbing in the NC mountains, and about an hour away is crowders mountain, which gets intolerably hot and humid in the summer, but has some sport routes and probably some other stuff too. If you like backpacking or just hiking, check out the linville gorge. Asheville has good music and climbing near by. I think there is good MTB riding nearby too, but I've never been. The blue ridge parkway is awesome in all seasons, but particularly in spring and fall when the flowers are blooming/leaves are changing. Classic area for road biking.

If I remember right, you like guns, and maybe hunting? Good white tail hunting down in S. Carolina just across the boarder, probably better off finding some private land to hunt on so you don't get shot by the yahoos on public land.

If you are going to be there for ski season, Beech and Sugar are probably your best bets. If you've got kids that need to learn to ski or snowboard, start them at App ski mountain (read "hill"), best ski school around. Snowshoe isn't too far of a drive.

NASCAR....LaKe Norman...some of the finest ass you will seee anywhere, plus beach not that far away....have fun
    always forward but never straight

I live. Think pigeye does as well.

Neighborhoods are quite different. You have the suburban sprawl alluded to above around the Ballantyne area. Also, there's the South Park/Myers Park area where a lot of the old money lives, but there's been a recent youth trend. But more so, the trend has been to live in the surrounding uptown (it's uptown, not downtown). NoDa, aka North Davidson St., is cool with the kids these days. South End is also a popular spot these days, running along South Blvd. towards 'uptown'.

But traffic here truly, truly sucks. So ultimately, unless you want a ridiculously long commute it'd be best to live close to your work. We're just now completing our first bypass, and there are some areas (specifically South Charlotte) where it's already inadequate. Basically, Charlotte gets the short end of the stick in state funding versus the likes of the Raleigh area.

All of the other stuff will depend where you want to live. But check out: Fuel Pizza, The Penguin, Price's Chicken Coop, Pike's Soda Shop, and Mama Ricottas as some Charlotte specific restaurants.

Hit me up if you need anything else.

My buddy lives in Huntersville up by Lake Norman. Love that area.
    Other buddy lives right in Up(down?)Town. That area seems really crowded and traffic ridden.
    He is right near everything though, so I guess it is a cool spot.

If you can't trade on Tryon, try on Trade...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Definitely get up to chappel hill. Fairly decent food there, and a decent little music venue in carborro. Check out Allen and Sons while you're there. I'm a foody, and have spent half my life in the south. Can't say I've ever had better BBQ.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Never been, but there was a large Central New York diaspora that ended in the Charlotte area, so you can probably get good salt potatoes there.

From people I know that have moved there most would typically describe it as one of the following

Love it: good economy, good weather, stuff to do
    Hate it: Boring strip mall hell
    It's Ok: Hot chicks, but Nascar too
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

I lived there for almost four years after graduating from college.

Since you didn't mention what type of area you want to live in, or where you'll be working, I'll suggest my favorite place to live in town- the Fourth Ward. It's only a few blocks from downtown- walking distance to lots of good bars and restaurants. Third Ward works for that too, just a little bit farther from most of the restaurants.

If you're working on the north side of town, then I'd suggest finding a place around Lake Norman for the reasons stated by people above. If you're working on the south side of town- which is unlikely- then check out Lake Wylie.

There are actually some pretty fun mountain bike trails in the area, so be sure to bring your bike.

Bump for recommendations. Best restaurants near the convention center? Bonus points for good BBQ or southern food. Thanks in advance.

SYF will be checking in soon, he'll give you the best beta think he just lived there for a year. Not sure of your timeframe etc. but 2nd lindville gorge (noting thread from 2011) if you got any time to get out of the town. I've heard rave reviews about the whitewater center if that's your thing (not mine) and I'm sure they do rentals. if you have even more time head south on I-85 to ATL and meet up with me & bmills. The great smoky parkway, Asheville to Bryson City, will truly give you the flavor of the area. Asheville kinda the san francisco of this nape of the woods
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    SYF will be checking in soon, he'll give you the best beta think he just lived there for a year. Not sure of your timeframe etc. but 2nd lindville gorge (noting thread from 2011) if you got any time to get out of the town. I've heard rave reviews about the whitewater center if that's your thing (not mine) and I'm sure they do rentals. if you have even more time head south on I-85 to ATL and meet up with me & bmills. The great smoky parkway, Asheville to Bryson City, will truly give you the flavor of the area. Asheville kinda the san francisco of this nape of the woods
    Gracias, but this is a quick in and out, like a night or two for work, and then on to Greensboro to visit family. So just looking for some good food downtown.

Hey Z3,
    Talked to my colleague that lives there and told her you were a southerner now in UT
    and she said
    "by the CC, I would recommend Fin+Fino if they are walking but it’s Seafood or Rooster’s which is Southern. Both are delicious.
    If they are okay to take a cab, Leroy Fox would be a great Southern option as well. Mac’s Speed Shop in Southend is a great BBQ option but it’s very casual and a cab "

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Hey Z3,
    Talked to my colleague that lives there and told her you were a southerner now in UT
    and she said
    "by the CC, I would recommend Fin+Fino if they are walking but it’s Seafood or Rooster’s which is Southern. Both are delicious.
    If they are okay to take a cab, Leroy Fox would be a great Southern option as well. Mac’s Speed Shop in Southend is a great BBQ option but it’s very casual and a cab "
    Awesome, thanks Woodsy! I can work with that list.

peppervine in south park. some family friends opened the joint up a few years ago. excellent seafood menu.

if you want real nc bbq, yer gonna have to go a little out of the way. my uncle is the "bbq king". he and my aunt run a restaurant of the same name in Lincolnton, bout 35 mins northwest of CLT. it truly is some of the best you will ever have. he's been at it 50 years this year.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    peppervine in south park. some family friends opened the joint up a few years ago. excellent seafood menu.

if you want real nc bbq, yer gonna have to go a little out of the way. my uncle is the "bbq king". he and my aunt run a restaurant of the same name in Lincolnton, bout 35 mins northeast of CLT. it truly is some of the best you will ever have. he's been at it 50 years this year.
    What style is their bbq? Eastern or Lexington?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What style is their bbq? Eastern or Lexington?
    lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    <snip> in Lincolnton, bout 35 mins northeast of CLT.
    I mean... I don't want to quibble, but it appears that's north*west* of CLT.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I mean... I don't want to quibble, but it appears that's north*west* of CLT.
    yes! northwest. whoops.

Be careful in Linville Gorge. Friend on patrol at another mountain got whacked by a monster rattler walking at dusk. I saw the scars and the fang marks were about 1.5" apart. Hit him so hard it took him off his feet.

Charlotte is metro-urbia. Daughter lived there with the ex a very short while. Lots of stuff to do.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Be careful in Linville Gorge. Friend on patrol at another mountain got whacked by a monster rattler walking at dusk. I saw the scars and the fang marks were about 1.5" apart. Hit him so hard it took him off his feet.
    we've pulled two bodies out of the Gorge so far this summer. the place is not to be fucked with.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    a monster rattler
    from a hometown bud's FB page a week ago (somewhat lowcountry)

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  156.3 KB
    "Can't you see..."

Wife was there two years while we were long distance dating.

Fucking rattlers and cottonmouths.
    Most bites were people getting into their cars. Not some deep woods hike.
    Fucking ankle biters. Literally.

Oh and them “palmetto bugs” ?
    They’re flying fucking cockroaches

I do love OB. and Asheville was nice. But fuck Charlotte and her strip mall generic existence
    . . .