Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Bumping this thread, as I'm considering doing what has been suggested above - redrilling plugs that were epoxied in and putting inserts in place.

Anybody have any real world experience with this? As old Albert would say, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. But in practice they are not."

Thoughts?

Seth
    I've done this. Used Jondrums tools (drill bit with stop collar, tap) and a drill press to double ensure I didn't drill through the bottoms. Went slow and didn't start drinking until the tapping was done. Wicked easy...

Thanks guys. I've installed inserts myself, just haven't drilled the plugs before. I might try the strategy of drilling the plug/screwing in a drywall screw for removeal first.

Thanks!

so i won skis this morning on the 'bay, with bindings attached, same BSL - figured perfect!. well, seller removed bindings to ship separately (never mentioned this in the Ad) with the skis. should i put up a stink with him as i have been doing so far? he's saying just use wood glue, or epoxy i guess might even be better with some steel wool (wood skis, no metal). my point is if he mentioned that this is how everything was going to be shipped i probably might of passed on them. am i getting too uptight over this? should i just accept and install on my own upon arrival? is it a big deal?...........or put a nice case in against him with ebay. really item and description do not match what he ended up shipping.....pics were of a complete package, not skis and bindings separate.

^^^ Sheesh - It's not a big deal at all. Just glue and screw. Start the screws slowly and you'll feel them drop into their old threads, then tighten away.

Reused holes like that on more than one occassion. 0 problems whatsoever with doing that, just get some good waterproof wood glue (I use gorilla brand) and put some in the holes before screwing them in

I thought gorilla glue expanded. Won't that be a potential problem?

This is the glue I'm talking about: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-1...2050/100662003

I think you're thinking of the original gorilla glue, which does expand. Not the same thing.

Any waterproof wood glue should work, I just chose this one.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 03-03-2015 at 06:08 PM.

thanks everyone, I need to relax more.

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    Anyone out there have actual experience mounting a binding freedom insert into a previously plugged hole?
    This would be on a pair of DPS 112 Hybrids.
    Jeezus. Writing that first sentence I can't believe this thread stayed as on topic as it has.
    I don't know if this helps, but I've mounted Quiver Killer inserts - overlapping an old hole. I had to position the insert really close to the old hole, and opted for an overlap, positioning it so one side of the insert caught the i.d. of the old hole. It's bomber.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

can i reuse plugged holes?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    thanks everyone, I need to relax more.
    Well, stupid to remove binding to ship. Wtf? Anyway, agree you should be fine. Slow cure marine epoxy great too. Stronger than wood glue but doesn't turn to cement. West Systems G Flex great.
    Uno mas

If I was gona reuse a hole I would use slowset 2 part and if I ever need to remove those screws I would use use some heat ... 20sec with a soldering iron on each screw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^ or just use an impact screw gun. Does no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Well, stupid to remove binding to ship. Wtf? Anyway, agree you should be fine. Slow cure marine epoxy great too. Stronger than wood glue but doesn't turn to cement. West Systems G Flex great.
    Hardman Orange gets good press too.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Make sure you tell him he's an idiot though. It should be fine but still a PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

I woulda shipped 'em to ya right, Cinnepa...
    Gravity. It's the law.

+1 on using inserts if you're concerned. Since you need a 1/4" hole you can use plugged holes as pilots and enlarge them, saves you from having to re-think the whole mount pattern.

Just remember, sloppy seconds is better than none at all.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Bumping an old thread. Picked up a pair of used skis where the holes are plugged with epoxied wood skewers. Ok to just redrill through the skewer with a 3.5mm and then use epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Bumping an old thread. Picked up a pair of used skis where the holes are plugged with epoxied wood skewers. Ok to just redrill through the skewer with a 3.5mm and then use epoxy?
    Yes. If anything (as long as the fill was done decently) it’ll be more secure than if you drilled out a rubber plug.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Cool, thanks. What is "done properly"? Ok if the skewers were slightly bigger and hammered in (speaking from experience).

I would lean toward asking them to shower first, but you do what you gotta do

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I would lean toward asking them to shower first, but you do what you gotta do
    Haha. Surprised it took 2 replies. 🙂

Cool, thanks. What is "done properly"? Ok if the skewers were slightly bigger and hammered in (speaking from experience).
    The threads cut into the core would be damaged. Just use helicoils and never think about it again.

You'll know once you start screwing.

... err, installing the binding screws. If they tighten down and feel normal, it'll be fine. (Use epoxy, tighten by hand, no power tools.). If the screws feel loose, or you get a spinner, remove binding and stuff in a little bit of fiberglass (household insulation works fine) with a toothpick, shoved in there with the epoxy, for the spinner holes. Then reinstall binding, snug down screws as best you can without spinning the spinners much (tighten until they start to feel like they going to spin). Leave skis indoors in warm temps for a day to let epoxy cure - don't ski them until after cure.

I've successfully remounted bindings in old holes many times, and done the fiberglass repair for spinners several times. It works. That said, if all the holes are spinners, it's time to just plug all those and remount fore or aft or with a different binding hole pattern. Or helicoil inserts if you really want to mount the same binding in the same place.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Really good info, thank you. I'm only re-using the front two holes in the toe so hopefully ok. I think I read you can use steel wool instead of fiberglass?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You'll know once you start screwing.

... err, installing the binding screws. If they tighten down and feel normal, it'll be fine. (Use epoxy, tighten by hand, no power tools.). If the screws feel loose, or you get a spinner, remove binding and stuff in a little bit of fiberglass (household insulation works fine) with a toothpick, shoved in there with the epoxy, for the spinner holes. Then reinstall binding, snug down screws as best you can without spinning the spinners much (tighten until they start to feel like they going to spin). Leave skis indoors in warm temps for a day to let epoxy cure - don't ski them until after cure.

I've successfully remounted bindings in old holes many times, and done the fiberglass repair for spinners several times. It works. That said, if all the holes are spinners, it's time to just plug all those and remount fore or aft or with a different binding hole pattern. Or helicoil inserts if you really want to mount the same binding in the same place.