No love for the 2011 K2 Darkside?

Hardly any reviews of the original K2 Darkside, and basically nothing about the 2011 model on the web. SAC was blowing them out pretty cheap the other day, and given the zero interest I'm guessing they'll be back up REALLY cheap one of these days.

Anyone ski a pair, or hear anything from anyone who has? The K2 site plays them up like a big mountain charger, though I'm a bit skeptical. (and actually I'd prefer a fat ski on the softer side anyhow)

Any thoughts on how the 181 Darkside would compare to a 182 Drifter or 179 Megawatt? The dimensions are pretty similar except for the tails, but I'd expect the Drifter to be quite a bit lighter and deflect in chop and would think the Megawatt might have a softer tip. But it's just speculation.

Still looking for a deep-day ski between the 190 Sumo and the 175 Sumo. Tip rocker would be nice, the Caylor looks good but might be too rockered...

Brent skiied 178 megawatt and 174 darkside. Darkside was good but flat tail was drawback for where we ski. He preferred megawatt by far. In the end be bought 188 for max float. Very easy for a 188 with 153 shovel. Very light as well at 10 lbs. My favorite as well, as you know. I think darkside is meant to be cheater ski like the too s bit not as extreme. For people who want pow to be easier. Might skin Bette due to flat tail and different shovel shape but really just not a fan. Baldy sat morning?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Some info here on Darkside and Megawatt: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...tlas-vs-MW-vs?

Just took mine out again on Sunday, and love them. No problem charging on them, and they're still super quick when I need it.

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but ever been on a 185 Kuro? I used to own a 190 Sumo and my Kuro's feel like the best parts of Sumos and K2 Pontoons wrapped into one ski. They deal very well with heavier/choppy snow, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I know that this doesn't answer your question, but ever been on a 185 Kuro? I used to own a 190 Sumo and my Kuro's feel like the best parts of Sumos and K2 Pontoons wrapped into one ski. They deal very well with heavier/choppy snow, too.
    Probably should have the Kuro on the list, how is it in tight trees? Does it have enough tail to feel like you've got something back there to spring off of? Didn't care for Pontoons due to the tail either being too narrow or too rockered - felt like all the ski was in front of the binding. Whyturn seems to prefer the Megawatts to the Kuros (if I remember correctly), I presumed because of the flatter tail. Everyone says Billy Goats kill it in the trees, but the fatter Caylor seems like a better width.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Baldy sat morning?
    Can't make it this weekend, but have fun out there!

I had a pair of 2010 (orang/red) 181, I debated over the 188 and the 181, but the 188 is pretty big for a 188, as in its at least 3 cm longer than the 188 megawatts I had before. I ended up going 181cm, and wishing for an in between size. Personally I'm a fan of the flat tail, I never ski switch, a flat tail maximizes effective edge length on the ski, so the 181 skiid longer than my 188 megawatts. In all the ski is super light for its size, and is still stiff enough to get it done, stiffer than my megawatts, and lighter.

These just didn't get as much hype and I don't know why... The darkside's strength is versatility, it does excellent in the pow due to its width and rockered tip, but it can still carve corduroy and get on edge (more than other fatties) because it's sidecut is normal ie. it has very little sidecut, It still has some camber and is stiff enough to chew up the chop if needs be, whereas some other skis get a bit floppy. The biggest difference I noticed was that they carved more than slarved through everything. I really liked it, I wish that it came in a size so the 188 was closer to other brands 188's tho.

I personally never really liked the 10/11 DS in anything but perfectly smooth snow - pow or corn or groomed. The second I got it into wet heavy chop it was unpredictable. I used to prefer the Hellbent for pow but it was not the best chop/crud ski. I've been on the Pon2oon since Feb and it's been my everyday ski except for a Euro trip. It is K2's best/most versatile directional big pow ski by far and handles chop/crud/groomers/whatever just fine. Darksides don't even come close.

I'm on tele gear so YMMV.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I agree with hop, I owned the 09-10 and sold them early this season, unpredictable in the spring slush and I thought the 181 rode more like a 185. Now I'm looking for a solid replacement that is that wide underfoot......thinking ON3P BG er maybe Armada JJs Waiting for 2012 release....any thoughts

sorrycorrection: Not that wide

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Probably should have the Kuro on the list, how is it in tight trees? Does it have enough tail to feel like you've got something back there to spring off of? Didn't care for Pontoons due to the tail either being too narrow or too rockered - felt like all the ski was in front of the binding. Whyturn seems to prefer the Megawatts to the Kuros (if I remember correctly), I presumed because of the flatter tail.
    If that is the case, you probably wouldn't like the Kuro. The tails are a tad short and tapered, but not as extreme as Pontoons. I forget that SoCal/Mammoth skiers get more crud than pow. Since moving from LA to Seattle 6-years ago, my taste in skis has changed dramatically. Back in the day, my Explosiv's were my go to Mammoth boards. With those characteristics in mind, I would imagine that something like a Prophet 115 would be perfect.

Already have 183 Bro Fats.

Just need to talk Splat into making a "183 Bro SuperFatty": same ski as 183 Fat but 152/128/140 and with an extra 10cm of gradual tip rocker (but same 70mm tip height), and thinner so it isn't any stiffer than the standard 183 Fat.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I've been on the Pon2oon since Feb and it's been my everyday ski except for a Euro trip. It is K2's best/most versatile directional big pow ski by far and handles chop/crud/groomers/whatever just fine.
    Looking forward to seeing more of the Pon2oon, not much about it out there yet. Is there an official release date?

Guessing fall 2011.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I agree the tax payer is taking it in the shorts daily I digress...the Darkside! This is an awesome ski. I found a pair of the 188's and I gambled (not many review) and bought them! Didn't get to ski them until this season. I have the 2010 model's. Yesterday I skied it in 12 inches of snow and it devoured it. Its like an old school GS ski, loves to make huge arcing turns at high speeds. It is nice on hardpack/ courdroy as well. However it takes more effort to get it on edge, my Darksides are mounted with Dukes and the wide toe really helps drive the ski. The ski is rock solid going fast in or on any snow surface. The rockered tip is nice and the tip skips over crud chunks beautifully. The only down side is I think it takes a pretty strong skier to get the most out of the ski! If that is you go for it. I heard the 11-12 model is slightly redesigned with a bigger rockered tip. I really like this plank!