Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Boat, seat, oars and pack are 40-42 lbs. Add everything else needed for a hike-in day trip and you are at appx. 55-60 lbs.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can. I ain't gonna lie. This thing is nothing to brag about. It floats/holds air and that's about it.

No biggie Schwerty, I'm no fashion maven. It'd be for stuffing into my sea kayak, there's a great little trout lake on a nearby island and my current pontube is way too big unless I tie it on, but that's still pretty big.

I'm heading up to the mainland in a couple of weeks to fish/golf/seakayak for a few weeks and also am looking for something that can fit in a pack as well.

I am intrigued about the watermaster, never seen one outside of the internet.
    Thanks and have a good one.

BUmp...

So I took the Kodiak out on a lake in GTNP over the weekend. The fishing was decent and the Watermaster was about that too. It definitely took some getting used to. As Neckdeep mentioned, the oar system is funky. I am coming from a drift boat and raft background. Not being able to pull the oars in worries me if I was to be in any whitewater or even tight spots where you need to be on the sticks. Not being able to feather the oars is feather the oars is strange too but I think I will get used to that.

The stock soft seat pretty much blew ass! I didn't have high expectations and will be attaching a hard seat for future use. The soft seat will come out only if I hike in or have to portage.

The thing that left me most puzzled about this boat is how to transition from maneuvering with fins to rowing and having your feet/fins on the strap. Maybe my seat and/or foot strap was in a funky position? Any other owners feel the same way? Is it just the fact that I am not the most flexible fella and have a bit of a belly to contend with on the way up? Maybe I am not as coordinated as I thought but pulling my feet up quickly, (to simulate switching in fast water) was a pain! Without fins....no big deal.

Enough bitching! All in all I like the Watermaster and can already tell it will grow on me. I originally purchased it for fast moving small rivers, lakes and a bit of solo large western river fishing. I have since reconsidered. It will get used mostly on lakes and rivers that are simple to navigate. It is a damn fine tool for that application!

The accessories, (stripping net, rod holder, gear holder, etc...) work well. Navigating, (on a lake), with just the fins is simple and surprisingly not strenuous. I easily traveled 3-4 miles, across a lake and down a shoreline. Positioned myself easily for casting, wind etc...

Bringing fish to a net is fast and efficient. Plenty of room to maneuver. I was able to release most fish without taking them out of the water.

Fun raft/boat! Can't wait to see how it does on moving water. If you are thinking of getting one, I would suggest a pfd....I almost fell through the damn hole, (they don't have a bottom), a few times when not paying attention....with waders on in 45degree water.

I have the upgrade soft seat and it works for me. Sometime I don't even use a seat. In regards to foot clearance, bring your legs up one at a time, at an angle and it is easier to get around the foot strap. Or try putting your seat back another inch. It takes practice to get the feel for the fins in moving water so, don't worry, you'll learn to think like a duck after you get some feel-how.

Thanks for the advice. Didn't know there was a soft seat upgrade!