Rescue on the Minturn Mile! JONG

This tough crew spent the night in the backcountry with only some pussy to keep them warm! Thank god they made it out okay!

Names have been kept secret for obvious reasons....

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/201...ntProfile=1062

How on earth could you manage to get lost on the Minturn Mile?? Sounds to me like they hiked Cougar Ridge pretty far, south of the Lionshead Rock? Or possibly they didn't actually do the Mile, went the wrong way and ended up closer to the 2 Elk Drainage? How else could you not make it down that drainage easily? You have to try really, really hard to get stuck on a cliff in there also. They must have really been fighting the fall line for quite some time to get in that mess.

clearly, they never were really on the Mile, because once you are, there's no way to get lost, just keep going down.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

the followed the ridge too far south and got into the wrong drainage is what I heard....
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

"Snow fell throughout the night and temperatures reached into double and single digits overnight."

Double digit temperatures!!!!!!!!!!!

reading the article in the paper and looking at the topo, they were in a bad spot. The big cliffs above Minturn, inbetween the mouth of the Mile and the mouth of Two Elk.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNebraski View Post
    "Snow fell throughout the night and temperatures reached into double and single digits overnight."

Double digit temperatures!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMGZZ not the double digits!!!

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    reading the article in the paper and looking at the topo, they were in a bad spot. The big cliffs above Minturn, inbetween the mouth of the Mile and the mouth of Two Elk.
    I'd like to ski off Coyote Ridge down through the Pines sometime, but who would walk it with me? Point being, how much walking/post holing did it take to get stuck where they were?? Quite an effort to avoid the easy hiking path down in the valley to the north of them

Quote Originally Posted by PowTrees View Post
    I'd like to ski off Coyote Ridge down through the Pines sometime, but who would walk it with me? Point being, how much walking/post holing did it take to get stuck where they were?? Quite an effort to avoid the easy hiking path down in the valley to the north of them
    I'll go! I love to explore and "connect the dots" as one of my mountain biking budies says.

But it will have to be next season...

Avoiding the trail and Luge reminds me of American Werewolf, when they leave the pub, (the Slaugtherd Lamb)

"stick to the road, beware of the Moors" Ooopss........

Last edited by Crampedon; 03-30-2011 at 01:50 PM.

At least the Tall-Tees kept their knees warm.

It was blizzard conditions Monday into the night with big wind gusts and ZERO visibility at times.

They had 9 open at Loveland for a hour or so before closing it.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

That would make route finding difficult indeed, but if you keep heading downhill and hit the creek... The saloon is not that far away...

the Mile proper one could ski at night, with zero light or in whiteout conditions I would think. The headed down Coyote Ridge and stopped. Oh well, glad they didn't get hurt. Everyone makes mistakes.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

gunit130 Guest
    Did you read they were able to make a fire???!!! WTF? How can they manage to do that yet not find civilization?

I liked this part: "Rescuers had to repel down on ropes at day break in order to get him off the ledge. That part of the mission was the most technical, and fairly rare for this type of rescue, Smith said."

indeed, repelling by skiers is rare. snowboarders, OTOH are used to repelling people.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I think I saw him when I drove through Dowd'd Junction!

Figured it was just some kid leftover from the snowball hitch-hiking.

The guy on the cliff got rescued, then a pine tree fell on him. What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    The guy on the cliff got rescued, then a pine tree fell on him. What's next?
    I heard a guy had it twice as bad...... he had two trees fall on him.

We can share the women we can share the whine!

We can share what we got of yours 'cause we done shared all of mine....