Alcohol induced heel/ankle injury

So about a week ago was in Tampa for a bachelor party and after a few 4Lokos my heel found itself being hit by a pool deck (concrete to be precise). Bruised up nicely:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	95384

Haven't had any issues with flexibility/walking/jumping on that foot, but still hurts if there is pressure directly applied to the area (i.e. wearing work shoes with no padding around the ankle, the top of the heel pocket will push against it)
    I'm thinking it's just a deep bruise but wanted to give the dentists (and docs) here a chance to offer any alternate opinions.

And yes, if it persists I will see a doctor.

Yeah...Ya gotta hate it when the floor just all the sudden reaches up and beats the hell out of you....and for no damned reason.

Walls have been known to do the same thing on occasion.....they always seem to be in the wrong place!

Architecture with an attitude is dangerous!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Looks like a a pretty good bruise to me. The tricky part is diagnosing if the pain is muscular or skeletal. Figure that out . If you can't, that's where the MD/DO/DPM comes in.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Architecture with an attitude is dangerous!
    Attacking an incapacitated man like it did is completely unacceptable but that's the world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Looks like a a pretty good bruise to me. The tricky part is diagnosing if the pain is muscular or skeletal. Figure that out . If you can't, that's where the MD/DO/DPM comes in.
    Thanks! As far as I can tell there's not much muscle there, just the achilles tendon, and if I had bruised/damaged that I think I'd be having a hard time walking...
    So running with my "I looked at a picture from grey's anatomy so I'm a doctor now" theory, if I have a bone bruise, is there any different treatment outside of RICE?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    is there any different treatment outside of RICE?
    Yes. I have heard people talking about MEAT- There was a thread about it some time ago, and I have tried searching for it, but cannot find it.

Motion, Exercise, Activity, Therapy.

Also Called:

Movement, Exercise, Analgesia, Treatment

For my body MEAT works best. Range of Motion (ROM) exercises are important. ROM is great as it improves blood flow to the injured area. Healing blood. It is my opinion that people get way carried away with the RICE thing. You need to get that area moving. I had a badly sprained ankle a few winters back and immediately started MEAT, the night I got injured. I think my ankle healed better than any of the numerous times I sprained it as a kid.

Although ibuprofen is rumored to be euphoric in larger doses, don't use too much. The second view of MEAT has "Analgesia" in it. Careful with the Vitamin I(buprofin) as it can mask the natural pain intended to limit ROM exercise. Also, there is a major school of thought that ibuprofen is not good for tendon/ligament injuries.

Proceed at your own risk, actual mileage may vary.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Thanks again, never been a fan of RICE but it's all that I've ever heard for treatment for these sorta things. I usually don't do anything and let it heal on its own - maybe i'll look into the meat thing for future issues.