Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about getting a dog...

I have had dogs as a kid and loved them, been reading all of the "dogs are great" threads and it has got me to thinking about getting a dog again. Ran into a guy in Home Depot with a Newfoundland Saint Bernard puppy that was one killer looking dog with a great disposition. Been doing a bunch of reading about Newfies and Saint Bernards and both sound pretty ideal, big and imposing, but basically as everyone says, "gentle giants" that are good with other dogs, kids, or cats. Obviously, health issues are a concern with big dogs and I know this dog will be huge, but I am not a small dog person, have my own house with a fenced in yard, dog will be a house dog for sure, no problems with that. Anyone have any experience with either of these breeds or a mix of the two and alternatively anyone know of any breeders. I have done the google search and they are pretty damn hard to find. I feel a bit conflicted about purchasing from a breeder when there are so many dogs out there that need to be rescued, so ahead and flame away. Any input is much appreciated and thanks.

I have a few friends with Newfies and they are great dogs. Super friendly and playful for their size. I do, however, live next door to a couple with a Newfie who is one of the meanest dogs I've ever met. Vicious actually. I'm going out on a limb here and say that their dog, unfortunately, is a product of it's owners and has some problems resulting from it. Kinda sad..

Have you checked out Bernese mtn dogs? Quite popular where I live and are similar to the size of a Newfie and with a great disposition. I guess I am bias, as I have an aussie - and berners look like big boy aussies, but they definitely are great dogs. Gentle giants for sure.

I got my Aussie from a breeder. If you decide to go that route, I would do a lot of research and make sure you find a breeder who is in it for the love of their specific breed and not for turnaround and quantity (money). Call them up to talk with them about their dogs and ask lots of questions about their standards. Also, some bad breeders will take the puppies away from their mother too early and sell them at 5 or so weeks old to turn a profit. That could be a sign for a not so great breeder as well. Not claiming to be an expert in this field, but definitely do your homework if you do decide to go with a breeder.

Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.

Many will say that a dog that big that soon will become a the size of a small horse will not be good with little kids. Knock them over, etc. But the key probably would be the disposition of the dog you actually get and how active they would be. Newfs are big time in the drooling department too if you are not aware of that.

As long as you are prepared for the pet food bills and do your homework, a big dog can be added to a family if they have the space conducive for one.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Newfs are big time in the drooling department too if you are not aware of that
    Very true

Big big dog = SO MUCH DROOL.

But yeah man you should get a dog! We have two dogs, a little guy lap dog and a husky for an outdoor companion. The Pom is a rescue and the husky was from a breeder...but was more like a puppy mill, so it sure felt like a rescue.

Check petfinder.com. Shelters often post the animals that need homes on there. You might find yourself with a great excuse for a road trip too.

consider a Derp Dog

Quote Originally Posted by jcnoble5 View Post
    Have you checked out Bernese mtn dogs? .
    Bernese are beautiful dogs who have a sad and unfortunate tenedency to get cancer. Having known several people who had to deal with it, I'd think twice.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

We have a Saint Bernard got him at a breeder, his super chill as in wants to hang out on the couch playing halo ripping bong hits or just sleeping rather then hiking or out running. Its kind of a problem for our lifestyle we can't really take him on long hikes or runs which we do a lot of. He is happy hanging out guarding (sleeping) the yard. Just know that they are not all that active and will most likely not be happy following you as you rip around the trails on skis or a bike. We just got a Aussie from a breeder hopefully he will want to go and do shit. Our Saint Bernard is awesome at scaring the shit out of people who we/he do not know that knock on our door or roll up the driveway.

Oh the fun thing is he hates deer and barks at them all the time in the back yard so just for fun every once in a while we let him go to "chase" the deer that lazy fuck runs like 200 yards and sits down.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

We had a saint Bernard. absolutely amazing dogs. We had no issues with leaving him in the same room as our <1 year old daughter. She has on occasions crawled all over him, pulled his tongue and ears...not even a growl. Obelix was also super smart and very trainable. My wife is a teacher and was at home for the summer when we got him. he didnt chew up a single pair of socks or shoes or anything else for that matter. you could even leave a bag of food lying around and he wouldnt rip it open when you were gone.

That being said, he was a couch potato...a 20 minute walk was more than enough, especially in the summer (in TX) when he would refuse to walk past the driveway.

unfortunately we lost him last year. we're still not over it, though we will definitely have another saint as a pet.

Friends have a Newfie.

Its super friendly but 1) it has nonstop problems, even though its only 1.5 years (hips failing, rashes, hair falling out, etc.); 2) its lazy - no fun for people with an active lifestyle; 3) it is easily the dumbest animal I have ever encountered. No idea if its the breed or just the dog, but that thing is Gumpish.

Grew up with St Bernards, currently the friend of a 10yr old Malamute/Bernese, and in the process of adopting a Malamute/Karelian puppy. Good memories of the St. Bernards as a kid, huge appetite (but not as hungry pound-for-pound as you might think), drooling, constant grooming, and short lifespan notwithstanding.
    +1 on the smaller swiss breeds. Current Bernese cross has been a magnificant bush companion. None of the typical issues like cancer that happen with the pure bred Berners thus far. Amazing disposition and judge of character; took the standard obedience training with ease. Still a lot of work with the grooming, but he can take a skuffle, beat the bugs, and shrug off -20C. Does get hot in the summer, though, and hates to get that thick coat soaked. I dug him a summer house to help out with the heat.

I don't mind rescuing from shelters and the like - but I never let the heart pull me at a hound I don't think I can handle. Some dogs just don't get over a bad past, and might not be the best idea in the very long haul. We always made sure that a respected animal handler did a thorough assessment of the behavour of the dog before I or one of the family went that route. Just needed to be honest with how much time we had to devote, what we wanted our hound to be for, and realistic on the limitations of a particular style and/or breed for our environment.

Best of luck!!

In a similar vein, you could consider a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. A lot like a Bernese but with less hair. Big but agile and active, super sociable, and generally loves kids.

Pup

Adult

Derp

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    We always made sure that a respected animal handler did a thorough assessment of the behavour of the dog before I or one of the family went that route.
    Where does one find "a respected animal handler" to assess a dogs behavior? And what do their assesments consist of? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Hook is a Bernese/Aussie Shepherd mix, he's a pretty great dog. He's jet black, looks exactly like a 2/3 scale Newfie. He's an incredibly athletic and powerful dog and his coat is amazing, he loves to sleep in snowbanks but he's fine on bare ground in a windstorm, he simply doesn't get cold. Last summer we got him shaved down and while he was embarassed to be seen for a couple weeks (he hid), it made him a lot more comfortable and the coat fully grew in before snow flew in the fall.

There's not exactly a lot of these dogs around but it's a pretty incredible mix. Our neighbors up the road have both parents so I'll post if they have more puppies sometime. Crazy how he turned out jet black like a Newfie, the mom has no black on her and the dad has normal Bernese markings - a lot of black but certainly not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.
    Everytime I read/hear this I ask if they haves children or plan to. When every one of them says yes I call them a fucking hypocrite.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    In a similar vein, you could consider a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. A lot like a Bernese but with less hair. Big but agile and active, super sociable, and generally loves kids.
    They are good dogs, but their life expectancy isn't great. We have a couple friends with them and they have developed expensive health issues. Gravity takes it's toll on them faster than most. And they do drool. One is very smart and sociable, but the other I know is a dumb grump.

Get a mutt from the pound. You'll be saving them and most likely getting a great pal. I would not sell mine for a million bucks.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    Everytime I read/hear this I ask if they haves children or plan to. When every one of them says yes I call them a fucking hypocrite.
    To avoid hypocrisy, I only buy pure-bred children.

get a malamute
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    So you'd rather they contribute to canine overpopulation as well as human population rather than just the human population? That's legit.

My dog is a rescue and he's fucking awesome.

iceman's dog sounds awesome.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    To avoid hypocrisy, I only buy pure-bred children.

If you want to do much hiking or skiing with the pup, some of the big(est) breeds may be a little on the lazy side. We've been nothing but happy with our Samoyed (see avatar) He's a sled dog so has no problem in the cold and snow, is super friendly and GREAT with our cats, small dog, and infant. There's no drool, and no health issues so far (he's 5) the only downsides, which I believe are both characteristics of the breed, are that he likes to A) dig big holes to get down to cooler dirt to lay on, and B) he has a tendency to get distracted by squirrels and wander off. It's generally not a problem hiking where there are no roads as he will always eventually come back, but I wouldn't trust him off-leash in say an un-fenced city park where he could get himself into trouble. He knows "Come" but will occasionally choose not to hear it.

Edit to say that also, the puppies look like stuffed animals!

Last edited by JayPowHound; 03-28-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Where does one find "a respected animal handler" to assess a dogs behavior? And what do their assesments consist of? Thanks.
    Not sure of the sister agencies in other jurisdictions, but several British Columbia and Alberta SPCA offices and humane society shelters contract a professional animal trainer to do behaviour assessments, especially if they knew a dog had come from a troubled background. They test for behaviour around strangers, certain key body languages, loud noises, other dogs, while restrained or not, etc. While every trainer I have dealt with is slightly different, the general testing is described here http://www.animaladvocates.com/spca/camp.htm This is usually a part of the adoption process - especially with the more specific societies that try to avoid euthanasia a bit more rigorously than the SPCA, while taking on dogs with greater behavioural issues. It's similar to puppy aptitude testing, but more intense.

I would be suprised if a call to some of the more reputable breeders and dog trainers in your area would not have someone to recommend, if the society or shelter does not offer this kind of service at request.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Last summer we got him shaved down and while he was embarassed to be seen for a couple weeks (he hid), it made him a lot more comfortable and the coat fully grew in before snow flew in the fall.
    I had a malamute breeder adamantly advised against the shaving of the coat as the dog doesn't have any melatonin in its skin to protect from the sun (he almost has no skin oils to speak of, unlike a lab or other water breeds). I know his coat grows back fairly quick, but if true a shave at the wrong time could result an awful sunburn. Has anyone else heard of this and can confirm/refute?

Not sure about the sunburn, but we shaved our sammy once and it took two and a half years for his coat to fully grow back. Definitely won't be doing that again!