Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate
    lph-

OTOH Roman is not flinging wild accusations, rather he is stating facts regarding what has come to light in the wake of the current production fiasco. Unless he's lying through his teeth (or keyboard) which I sincerely doubt, the implications of these facts cannot be ignored.

As for the "not happy" part, well, perhaps there was a bit of frustration as Stephen's post elided to said production problems without actually specifying the serious nature of them. Perhaps Roman believed that the prior post indirectly implied that the Euro side of the company left for more-or-less specious reasons, and believed that the customers had a right to know the details.

Roman will likely have to clear these semantics up himself, but note that he did mention that he didn't post in order to start a flamewar, more to set the record straight as far as the facts on the ground that led to the Europeans dissatisfaction and subsequent defection. Perhaps he doesn't transmit the nuance well on the bb, as English is not his first language (one of five he deals with).
    I agree with every thing you said.

And believe me, as a consumer, it is nice to know that Goode's factory was producing poor quality skis. However, for Roman to post this particular bit of information AFTER the split with Stephan, and KNOWING that Stephan was going to stay with Goode is, IMHO, poor form. Also, it has to make you wonder what motivated him to say those things. (in addition to simply clarifying the issues that led to the split).

In any case, it will be very interesting to see how things play out for the next ski season.

this is more dissappointing than finding out we still have to do the Bendy on P18's. I always dreamed of a pair of DB's .

HTML Code:
    In any case, it will be very interesting to see how things play out for the next ski season.
    Yes it will. Clearly there's frustration all the way around. Fundamentally, all new technology often takes longer and has unexpected glitches. The Europe side of db will have an oppty to show how much better they can do. Hopefully they'll raise the bar.

In the meantime I ordered, paid for, and am skiing both the db Surreal and Goode Carbon 82. Awesome skis. Will probably only get better as technology matures.

Everything else is just talk.

I'll stand by my previous post 100%. I'll also stand by the numeric content of Roman's post, and behind GOODE and the skis we are building.

If we were producing a traditional ski, and db had partnered with a manufacturer with a history of building wood core/fiberglass skis, and the numbers were as such this year, we on the North American side would be long gone as well.

However, building a carbon ski is a pioneering project and presents a big mountain to climb. It is not easy. There have been unforeseen challenges, monkey wrenches, and broken skis along the way- none of which for lack of effort or investment; there are 100's of db's sitting in a scrap heap as testament to the various hurdles tripped on this year. At the same time, there are some amazing skis out there that folks are really stoked on. I know, as do many others, that when built right, these are uber high-performance, light, and strong boards. They rip like nothing else, and that in itself is reason and inspiration for us keep this thing moving forward. We are at a point where issues have been solved and I finally feel good about production turning a major corner- ironic amidst the break up of the band.

The inability to produce in quantity and with consistency until now has been an undeniable nightmare, but one not uncommon to new technology and design. The question is really about morphing those short-falls and lessons around into strong, repeatable results. Roman and company, based on the frustrating experience thus far, obviously don't have faith that it can happen with GOODE. That's fine. We think it can, and are continuing on.

Ultimately, beyond all the slander and spin, the verdict will rest with the skis on snow.

--brand questions are in the works; the patents stay in this camp.
    801.621.2300 x. 118, M-F, 9-5 mtn. in N.A., if anyone wants to chat on the phone.
    Last edited by db.2; 04-30-2005 at 12:17 AM.
    www.dbskis.com

^^^^^By that telephone number I guess that you're in Ogden. Got any DB's with freerides you want to loan out?

Even though the wording in Stephan's and Roman's posts is quite different, it doesn't appear to be much disagreement about the facts.

Everyone is disappointed with this year's productionproblems. The european guys felt unconvinced it could ever work with Goode, Stephan felt it was worth continuing the cooperation. I guess the ability to communicate clearly between themselves also played a role.

What will the future bring? I don't think there is enough space for two producers of this kind of niche product. At least one of these ventures will go belly up is my guess. I think a big deciding factor is going to be who builds the highest quality skis in the near future. The american side of db will really have to get their act together quickly in order for this to work. If what Stephan says here is the last in a long row of promises that is NOT fulfilled I think they will have a real problem. On the other hand, the european side has a longer way to go regarding production set-up asf. The brandname issues are also important.

My only wish is that whoever builds the best ski wins. And continues to produce first quality skis.

I wish you both the best of luck. But unfortunately I think only one of the groups will experience it.