CO tele lessons?

I just bought some really cheap, really old telemark gear and I'm planning to put my snowboard away for a little while and give it a shot. Anybody have any thoughts on lessons/clinics to help me get started? Beaver Creek has Tele Tuesdays, Vail has lessons on Wednesdays, other resorts have clinics throughout the season. Anybody have experience (good or bad) learning to tele at any front range resorts?

Breck does tele-saturdays too, but im not sure on the quality of the lessons.

Im gonna try tele this season as well, let us know what you find out.

There are a lot of people that tele at A-Basin. I'm guessing they (Basin ski instructors) could get you dialed any day of the week. Although, I don't know how much time you have on alpine skis. If you're new to skis in general than Breck might be a better option due to all the wide groomers available for learning technique.

Hell, If you go on a Thursday (not a powder day) I'll teach you for a beer.

I had a good tele lesson at Eldora a few years ago...it's close, the price was pretty good and I didn't care about terrain as it was my first time on teles.

Tavi, i might take you up on that offer...

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    Tavi, i might take you up on that offer...
    No problem. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town until the friday before new years but I'll be on skis that Friday and any Thursday after that. Send a PM if that will work and I'll give you a call or e-mail.

Thanks for the thoughts (and the offer Tavi). Right now I'm thinking I'll head up and mess around on the teles on my own tommorow and then go to Beaver Creek on Tuesday for their weekly Tele event. It's baisically a 1/2 day lesson and then (hopefully) hooking up with other skiers on the same wavelength to make some turns. I'll report back with my findings.

Tavi is right about A-Basin. There are always far more tele skiers there than any place else along the front range. My buddy used to patrol for them (on tele), and said they had some really good instructors, for what its worth.

Loveland also has a solid contingent of awesome tele skiers. I've taken a lesson there and had a good time. If you buy three lessons you get a season pass. Really great deal.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I would gladly give you a lesson on how NOT to telemark.

Here's a quick report, as promised.

Took the ancient gear to Copper on Monday and ripped it up solo (note: "ripped it up" in this case means struggling down some greens while silently whining about the serious pain in my feet and inwardly cursing myself for ever coming up with this ridiculous idea in the first place).

Tuesday morning I showed up at Beaver Creek for "Tele Tuesday." This seems like a pretty cool event: baisically a bunch of telemarkers meet at the Coyote Cafe in the morning and go skiing together. Then at the end of the day they regroup at the Coyote Cafe for drink specials, raffles etc. I'd recommend it for any free heelers looking to meet others. In addition, begginers lessons are offered for $37 for a two hour lesson. I took the lesson.

Instructor was good and it was only three of us in the group. It was pretty helpful but not the breakthrough I was hoping for. After the lesson I ripped it up some more (see above definition). 'Twas sunny and cold up top today. Shockingly, the promised new snow didn't materialize.

All in all I think maybe one of the full day telemark clinics might be a better way to go for a first timer (maybe at A-basin). As of now, though, I'm determined to keep my snowboard locked up until I get a little better on the teles (or at least until the next powder day comes along -- it'll be hard to spend that day on the greens).

Nice Work!

Keep at it and everything will come together. It usually just clicks one day when you accidently find yourself sitting over that back foot.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tavi. The past two days have felt a little like walking into my favorite restaurant and finding out they've completely changed the menu: I know I'm in the right place (a ski hill) but I'm not sure what the hell to do. But I'm determined to fight through it and learn to handle those toothpicks beneath my feet. Unfortunately, I'm not renowned for my determination and stick-to-it-ivness so I'll have to see how things go. I'll keep you posted on my progress (or lack thereof).

I think the best lesson anyone can give a new tele skier is that starting out w/ decent gear is the only way to go. You're already at a disadvantage as it is, why make something as contrived and difficult as tele skiing harder than it needs to be?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels