Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How close is your home to a nuc?

Doesn't really mean jack to me because I now live in Japan but I am happy to say my place in AK is more than 1,581 miles away from the closest nuc plant. Then again I am also willing to bet there are some sort of nuclear devises on Elmandorf/Richardson that could potentialy be far more dangerous.

How close is your home to a nuc?

26 miles from Indian point (yeah, I'm toast--but luckily not here for much longer) and close to Millstone for me in CT...and upstate there's NY plants and the lovely VT yankee plant which could easily kill me too (and they've already leaked all kinds of crap into the "pristine" VT water). I think they plan on de-commissioning VT after 2012 if we're all still here...and they shut down CT yankee a while back.

But I'm in the hotseat here, and the Japan disaster has really hit close to home for me as far away as it is. None of us can turn our backs to this issue. None are immune, it's everyone's problem!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I used to live about five miles from Prairie Island in Mn. Every year they sent me an emergency preparedness packet, with instructions oh what to do if the plant blew/was attacked etc. It came with a sign to put in my window to alert the authorities that I had evacuated. Kinda creepy in retrospect.

I'm about 26-28 miles from this magnificent set:

Daniel Ortega eats here.

We are equidistant between Diablo Canyon and San Onofre, but am directly down wind from DC, and are fucked in a couple
    of hours should it go.

It is not so much how close, but which way the wind blows. I would rather live 10 miles up wind then 100 down wind, which is about how far we are from DC.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I'm about 26-28 miles from this magnificent set:

I never noticed that before...no wonder San Clemente always seems like a big pussy.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

2560 miles....

MORAL PANIC
    holy fucking shitballs

jgb@etree Guest
    I'm ~45 miles from Indian Point, and ~55 from Millstone. A schmorgasborg of radiation in the area!

5 miles from McGuire

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power_nuclear_mcguire.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	95246
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

39 miles from Pilgrim.
    40 miles from Seabrook.
    77 miles from Yankee.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

60 miles north: North Anna
    60 miles east: Surry power plant
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

15 miles downwind from Indian Point.

Not all nukes are in power plants (19 miles from my home):

KNOLLS ATOMIC POWER LABORATORY - Kesselring
    West Milton, New York
    The Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (KAPL) - Kesselring, is engaged solely in research and development for the design and operation of naval nuclear propulsion plants. The Kesselring Site Operation (KSO) is located about 5 miles from Ballston Spa, NY, and 8 miles from the resort area of Saratoga Springs, NY. It is situated on approximately 3,905 acres. It operates two prototypes of submarine nuclear propulsion plants for the operational testing of new designs and new technologies under typical operating conditions before introducing them into the fleet.

By 1955 KAPL had designed a reactor that could propel a submarine for about three years of normal operations. A prototype of that first KAPL reactor was built and operated at the laboratory's Kesselring Site in West Milton, New York. The first shipboard application of the design was in the submarine SEAWOLF (SSN 575), which was commissioned in 1957.

Between 1958 and 1992 KSO contained four high power Naval Prototype reactor plants, namely the S3G, D1G, S7G, and S8G. These prototypes are essentially a section of the ship containing the power plant, or the reactor compartment and the engine room. The two oldest, S3G and D1G, which started operation in 1958 and 1962, respectively, were used for training and testing until completion of their mission in the 1990s. They have since been decommisioned and are undergoing inactivation

Current activities include operation of the S7G Modifications and Additions to Reactor Facilities (MARF) Nuclear Prototype Training Unit in Ballston Spa. The MARF and S8G prototypes began operating in 1976 and 1978, respectively, and are used primarily for naval nuclear propulsion training. These plants are also used to test reactors, reactor plant systems, and reactor steam and electric plant components. KAPL continues to train Navy nuclear propulsion plant operators at its prototype site in West Milton. KAPL has trained over 49,000 officers and enlisted personnel for the U.S. Navy since the beginning of the laboratory. Electric Boat Corp. is one of the contractors at the Kenneth A. Kesselring site in West Milton. The company refurbished the MARF and S8G nuclear reactors, with the project being completed in late 1997.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

I'm 195 miles to the west (Matagorda), and 200 miles to the South (Glen Rose). No biggie. We don't have really any fault lines to worry about in Texas.

I wouldn't care if I was next door to a nuclear plant, though. It's still damn clean energy compared to the coal plants most of us use. Now putting a nuc on or near an earthquake zone? That's a bad idea, Mmkay?

3-Nine Mile 1, 2 and Fitzpatrick 35 miles

47 Miles to the Calvert Cliffs pair
    70 miles to the North Anna pair
    72 miles to Peach Bottom pair
    87 miles to Three Mile Island
    90 miles to Hope Creek
    Man, skiing is the easy part.

"He does this, he says, because he can. I think there is a little more to it that that, however. I think he does it because he can, and you cannot." - PacRimRider1 about Leo Brayman

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    Not all nukes are in power plants...
    Good point. I work, essentially, across the street from General Atomics. Their TRIGA Mark I reactor was shut down in the 90s and it wasn't until last year (in the dead of the night) that the spent fuel was trucked off. I believe that the reactor is still on site in a certain state of disassembly. I've been told that there is ground on the GA site that is to remain in an undisturbed state for many years.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Woo Hoo. 500 miles and up wind. Thank god for coal power plants.

700 miles to the columbia generating station in washington ,when you got hydro there is not much point in nuc energy

we got some expat americans up in the kispiox valley who came north to dodge the vietnam war ,these people came north cuz they were very scared of america ,the kispiox is an end of the road place but was also touted for its prevailing outflow winds ... in the event of a nuc incident

Living about 200 miles from Idaho National Laboratory. No worries there. I work with radioactive isotopes pretty much everyday in my profession. Mostly short lived isotopes 99mTc, 201 Tl, 133 Xe, 131 I, 123 I, and few others here and there.
    If the general public only knew how much radioactivity was flushed down the toilets, etc by patients they'd be appalled. The allowable limit of discharge of radionuclides from powerplants and other areas of operation (hospitals, etc.) is well above what you'd think.

not really close out here int he mtns of CO. My Bama home is 33 mils from Browns Ferry
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Nine miles from Duane Arnold. My neighbor runs the place so I'm about forty feet from him. If he comes home all green I'm getting the hell out of here fast.

Quote Originally Posted by cmeriptahoe View Post
    47 Miles to the Calvert Cliffs pair
    70 miles to the North Anna pair
    72 miles to Peach Bottom pair
    87 miles to Three Mile Island
    90 miles to Hope Creek
    You forgot the University of Maryland Training Reactor (MUTR) that's inside the Chemical and Nuclear Engineering building on the CP Campus.

I'd be more worried about living near a coal power plant. Fukashima got hit by a quake far beyond it's design and the impact on the health of the public will still be negligible.
    Fukushima's toxic legacy: Ignorance and fear