Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I would add the Moment Ruby 188 and 190 (discontinued this year)

I find this ski kills almost everything

Atomic Powder Plus 135-115-122.

1st generation BD zealots-still some blems out there

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Lots of great stuff on this list already.

Seconded:

Scot Schmidt pros
    R:EX/10:ex
    Explosiv
    Tankers
    PM Gear Super Bro/Hart Fuelie Boss
    original Elan 777
    Race room 194 Legend Pro/Super Nobis

Like to add:
    Volkl G40/G41:much more durable than following iterations; slayed everything.
    Blizzard Titan Pro: crush, kill, destroy. Best anger management ski ever.

x4 on the tankers. found a beat up delamming pair on CL for $20, bought them, fixed them, loved them, bought the next decent pair I saw on ebay. yay.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

183 Rossignol Axiom, 186 Stockli Ateroid, XXL, Mojo 90, Monster/mojo 103, and the New classic the 186 moment bibby
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Anyone know if it would be worth picking up a set of the old Fischer Atua/Misfit?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    they still make 'toons.
    NO KIDDING! It's an unchanged model... on an eight year run. They are called Pontoons these days.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    NO KIDDING! It's an unchanged model... on an eight year run. They are called Pontoons these days.
    No your wrong in two ways... It was on a 5 year run, and it has changed for 2012 and now called the Pon2oon.

The one ski I have to add that has not been mention is the 06ish seths. The first seths with rocker. 98 in the waste, just tip rocker. A perfect ski. I believe in the following years the missdemeaner was similar to this and now the kunkfujas is pretty similar, but wider in the waist and tail.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    No your wrong in two ways... It was on a 5 year run, and it has changed for 2012 and now called the Pon2oon.
    I got mine 7 yrs ago now (when I skied for K2). The first 50 made were only allocated for team riders, were only available in the 189 length, had no mounting marks or serial numbers, and had a solid orange p-tex base. They have since gotten cosmetic/length/name changes, but are essentially the same ski as the first 2004 run.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

XXLs and Sploders are must owns.

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    Kneissl Tankers should definitely be added. Excellent allround skis for Europe.
    Should've never sold mine! Sold a raceroom LP to Arno as well (I actually like the 100mm underfoot version better, but that's probably cause I'm soft).

However, I've got 2x explosivs and the RC112.

Yes to all those...

Wish I could've gotten my hands on a pair of the AK made 183 Bros.
    Last edited by ulty_guy; 03-28-2011 at 05:00 AM.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

haha - i also concluded that i am too soft to ski race room LPs all the time so sold yours on (at same cost) to a racer-type who hadn't yet got into anything other than SL skis. he enjoyed
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

I still think about my old 195 AK Rocket LAB swallowtails. Not sure I'd still love them today, but I sorta regret selling them - those were lots of fun.
    focus.

I'm sort of in shock that people were seriously adding Pocket Rockets to this list--I think the Blue Noodles got more shit thrown at them around here than any other ski. All I ever heard about them is that they were spaghetti and lost camber/broke within about two weeks of purchase.

If you want some classic boards get a pair of the things my boy Pirmin is holding--in a 208 if you want to go shorter...

(And yes, XXL's are awesome.)
    [quote][//quote]

In my humble opinion, about 50% of the skis mentioned have no business being in this thread. I'm not saying skis like Karmas and ANTs aren't good skis. But they certainly aren't up there with Explosives, Spats, race room LPs, etc, AKA industry game changers and serious top quality boards. Just because you owned a pair of skis and liked them, doesn't mean they should be on the list. Well, maybe if the list is really long...
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    ...I think the Blue Noodles got more shit thrown at them around here than any other ski. All I ever heard about them is that they were spaghetti and lost camber/broke within about two weeks of purchase...
    Aaaahh! But within that two weeks maybe there were days when they were riding a ski ahead of it's time! I'd bet some of those PR's nearly achieved full rocker before they snapped, and that would have made for powder turns like never before. After such a delight, the disappointment would be compounded when the skis failed.

Just a thought... you know, considering the joys of skiing can be so can be so profound yet so fickle. Euphorically exhilarating one moment, cruelly humbling the next.
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Grab both cheeks and sink your teeth into the ass of life.

Line Prophet 100's (pre-K2) version. Bamboo graphics, made in Karhu factory. Definitely a one quiver ski and I still have a pair going with 300+ days. The top edges are beat to hell, but still have not popped a cap.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

It's been mentioned already, but the first ski that came to mind upon reading the thread title was the 194 Legend Pro, 04/05 raceroom vintage. THAT was a game changer for me, and I imagine it was the same for many others. As skis were just getting wider and softer, this was one of the last truly demanding skis that would only reward you if on top of your game. Certainly not as versatile as a lot of today's offering, but it excelled at everything it was made to do and nothing came close.

And then the XXL arrived shortly thereafter. Never got a chance to ski that one, but it was the go-to ski for many people here for more than a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Lots of great stuff on this list already.

Seconded:

Scot Schmidt pros
    R:EX/10:ex
    Explosiv
    Tankers
    PM Gear Super Bro/Hart Fuelie Boss
    original Elan 777
    Race room 194 Legend Pro/Super Nobis

Like to add:
    Volkl G40/G41:much more durable than following iterations; slayed everything.
    Blizzard Titan Pro: crush, kill, destroy. Best anger management ski ever.
    Definitely agree with Tanker and Blizzard Titan Pro. That's what I ride every day. Love 'em both. Definitely destroyers. They float pretty well considering their width and stiffness.

+1 on Snow Rangers.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    In my humble opinion, about 50% of the skis mentioned have no business being in this thread. I'm not saying skis like Karmas and ANTs aren't good skis. But they certainly aren't up there with Explosives, Spats, race room LPs, etc, AKA industry game changers and serious top quality boards. Just because you owned a pair of skis and liked them, doesn't mean they should be on the list. Well, maybe if the list is really long...
    True. In this spirit, I second the Karhu Jak (Canadian orange topsheet black base vintage), and also nominate the Voile Mtn Surf. One of the best skis I have ever ridden. Sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I still think about my old 195 AK Rocket LAB swallowtails. Not sure I'd still love them today, but I sorta regret selling them - those were lots of fun.
    +1 I got a pair this season and love them, they really rip!

I've actually liked hearing about the second tier skis. Everyone knows that Explosivs and raceroom LPs are legends and it's obvious from reading this that they are the best of the best, but hearing about others gives me an idea if I should pick up something for $50 on craigslist for a rock ski, and that's less discussed.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's "Older skis worth owning," not "industry game changers" or "serious top quality boards."

It's "if you find these at a thrift store for 19.99, snatch 'em the fuck up cuz they're fun, fun, fun, fun." If 10 people reminisce about their Rossi Bandit B2s, well, maybe I should give a pair of those a chance if I stumble across them rather than confiscate the binders and turn them into a chair or a privacy fence.

Also, everybody nominating past skis near and dear to their heart speaks to the COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THREAD you're talking about too. If those Rossi B2s receive universal acclaim posthumously, they've earned the top-flight honors you're talking about, even if the industry never annointed them kings of their era.
    focus.