Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alive.

Alive.

How do you top an epic powder day? By being brought back to life by your incredibly heroic, brave, medically trained, and properly equipped friends. That's how.

I don't post here much and plenty maggots will think low post count = gaper. Trust me, thats not the case. 30 of my 35 years have been upright sliding down snow. I spend my time getting pow, not upping my post count. The reason I mention this is because the story below can happen to you. It happened to me and I didn't make a serious of obviously wrong decisions. Let's just say, I don't fall down very much.

I skied most the day (at Sierra at Tahoe) solo, but did take quite a few runs with ripper S. Lake local named Lincoln. I then meet up with my angels on the last run. I took them over to my secret stash. Amazingly one of them was watching me close enough to notice that I disappeared suddenly. He saw the base graphics of my K2 Hellbents laying on the snow. He dug my ski out and found my leg attached.

I had made a strong turn, like a hockey stop, unloaded my weight and tipped head first into a tree well. I immediately addressed the situation with all my might but was completely helpless. Hanging upside down, motionless, I trashed my head to create an airspace and got nothing. I suffocated immediately. There was no pain, fear, panic, or last thought. Just darkness.

The same guy was the first responder. He called the others to the scene. Both he and another had shovels. They began to dig. Two of their gals helped with their hands. 2 or 3 minutes passed and they couldn't find my head in all the deep snow. Angel #1 realized time was up and had them release my bindings so he could put all his strength into pulling my body out.

This is the part that was harder for them than me. I came out of the hole as what appeared to be a frozen corpse. Blue and not breathing. Angel #2 immediately began CPR. He had to clear my mouth which was full of snow. 2-3 sets of breathing and compression resuscitation was enough for me to sputter back to life.

Arriving back amongst the living was literally a dream come true. I was in dreamland and it faded into reality, rather than the opposite. One gal was screaming in my face to wake up. As I came back, her voice went from faint and distantly familiar to confusingly real.

I quickly sat up and let out a huge burp. Then I asked what time it was. 2:50. Better hurry up, my 6 year old son is waiting to be picked up from ski school. Wouldn't want to not show up for him.

Thank the heavens for my angel rescuers. How do you repay them for bringing you back to your life?

Also, lessons to learn:

- shit happens to you. Be ready.
    - play with friends. They may save your life.
    - put your financial house in order. A living will can be called upon sooner than you expect.
    - take rescue training and CPR.
    - be a doer. Action saves lives.
    - I wish I had been wearing my heart rate monitor. Wonder how low my beats got or if I flat lined. Would been a good data file to have. A reminder of at least one of the times that I cut it a bit too close.

Damn, that is nuts. Glad you're ok.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by treeskier View Post
    I don't post here much and plenty maggots will think low post count = gaper. Trust me, thats not the case. 30 of my 35 years have been upright sliding down snow. I spend my time getting pow, not upping my post count. The reason I mention this is because the story below can happen to you. It happened to me and I didn't make a serious of obviously wrong decisions. Let's just say, I don't fall down very much.
    ^^I can back up this point. I live on the same street as this guy and we're friends. We ski together alot....and he rips powder with the best of them. It can indeed happen to any of us.

Glad your'e still here buddy.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I don't know you, but am glad you are still here as well.

Intense story glad it had a happy ending for you, and your six year old.

Question for an experienced skier...would an avalung have helped? We have debated it endlessly here, but an experienced opinion would be interesting.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Sweet save from your friends !! That's some scary shit. And you get the added bonus of post no. 44 and beyond if you like.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

We all know that make-up-sex can be pretty good, but DAMN, what is back-from-the-dead sex like??

Glad you made it man, harrowing tale. Can you describe your 2-3 minutes in dreamland?

Tree wells have been a hot topic for me recently. My buddy fell in a tree well 2 weeks at Crystal on a really deep light pow day, at Northway and dissapeared for over 20 minutes. I went down his line where we had parted, and couldn't find him. He wasn't answering phone calls, and then 20 minutes later finally called and said he got foggy goggles, and went headfirst into a tree well. He was struggling for some time and had that look of desperation in his eyes, thought he might not make it.

Honestly I was mad at him for falling in. You dont go headfirst into a tree well!!! Ride in control you bastage! But I realize this can happen to any of us, all it takes is a hidden root or rock to alter your destiny beyond repair.

I wear a one of those soft circular neck guards, and pull it up over my mouth and nose when riding real deep shit. It acts as an filter, to some degree. I would think avalung would deploy too slowly for tree well effectiveness, you need a couple seconds of rumbling mountain to pull the cord.

Welcome back Treeskier, we're glad to have you among us, and congrats on finally padding your post count

what is back-from-the-dead sex like??
    fersure! not randy, but better than cold frozen tree bark.

...having a new lease on life today.

Can you describe your 2-3 minutes in dreamland?
    2-3 minutes of unselfconsciousness was just that. no recollection. But when I started to come to, the fade back into reality was a bizarre dream becoming reality.

Yikes. I had a similar close call in Japan this year. Glad you are ok and your riding partners were on the ball.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-day-priceless
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

would an avalung have helped?
    In this case, possibly yes. one problem with the avalung is it can be ripped from your mouth in a violent slide. If I had been skiing all day with it in my mouth (does anybody really do that) then having it in when I tipped over would have given me consciousness the whole time (not sure I would have enjoyed that).

tree skier, like yourself I had a huge eye opener with all the big dumps lately at my favorite bc spot. Been hitting it up for so many years and developed a false sense of security where I felt I could handle a one foot deep slough without much hassle. When it turned into a crown slide and was mightily pulling me with it what saved me was a conservative line choice and a strong self arrest but I have been humbled and had my ass kicked by the mountain and also am dealing with a new concept I haven't experienced and that is something like a fear and a healthy dose of new respect that is now present and has replaced over confidence. It was on St. Patrick's Day and my Irish luck came through and similarly I have a new appreciation for life and will use the experience to better myself. Really glad you made it and thanks for sharing such an uplifting story. Sometimes mistakes are made as in my case that turn out to be destiny.

so glad that had a happy ending for you and your 6 year old.....treewells are no joke.....
    always forward but never straight

A big thumbs up for your quick-thinking, level-headed "angels" who knew backcountry CPR techniques.

And I guess thanks should be given for not having plain white ski bases. There used to be some backcountry/touring skis with BRIGHT orange bases...can't remember the make. Anybody remeber those? Whatever happened to them?

Welcome back to this crazy dance we call LIFE!!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

What did you want to eat most when you were feeling better?

Glad you are still with us.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Man oh man!
    Glad you made it OK!
    All good pointers and reminders too.

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post
    I would think avalung would deploy too slowly for tree well effectiveness, you need a couple seconds of rumbling mountain to pull the cord.

)
    I think you are confusing an Avalung with an Avalanche airbag.

Sobering story with one hell of a happy ending!
    The Passion is in the Risk

^^^are you confusing an avalung with an Avy airbag? I don't think a airbag would do mug other than alert people that there is a problem by this tree over here.

To the op. Were you able to get your hands in front of your face?

ya, thats what I said to Landshark...

on another note.... would this work??

I have had this idea to make a helmet with a indentation (that could be vent), basically a handle on the top/back-- if an avy hits or you fall you could make a small air pocket/ tent around your face with your arms/elbows. does this make any sense to anyone? try it out, grab the top/back of your head and put your head towards your chest, making a small pocket infront of face/ chest area... hard to explain. might be complete crap.. I mean, I'm a jong after all.

One deep days I ski with the mouth piece of my avalung out and accessible, but not in my mouth. I would think it would be easy to get into my mouth in such a tree well/deep pow situation (assuming hands are free, hence no straps used in the trees). I have used mine once in an upside down pow situation, but it was more of a convenience rather then a necessity.

Being awake and hoping your friends are on the ball and going to rescue you is a whole other concern

Thanks for sharing your story, it emphasizes the importance of always paying attention, and having basic first aid/ CPR skills.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Dam Obie

That's a hell of a story, glad your able to tell it!!

A couple guys asked about if I used my hands or if having your free hands to make air space.

In my situation, and I'd imagine in a avalanche burial, you have no movement ability. If I could have brought my hands to my face I would have.

Also when I tipped over, I certainly wouldn't have had time to put a mouthpiece/avalung in place. You are reacting to the fall and your arms are bracing or outstretched.

You expect to be fine, not expect to be going under for good. Maybe in certain situations you'd have the time to do something like that, but I certainly didn't.

yikes. sobering.

i ski lone wolf all the time.

happy you made your appointment with your son.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Yikes. I had a similar close call in Japan this year. Glad you are ok and your riding partners were on the ball.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-day-priceless
    HOP - are you Adam U w/K2? (my brother is Luke w/K2)