Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My bed is killing me

I have come to the conclusion that my bed is too soft. After spending three days sleeping in a different bed i came back to mine to feel the sam achiness that i have felt for the last year.
    I thought it was old age, but it has to be the bed.
    any one have any thoughts on this?

Nothing constructive to add so here's this...

Life is simple. Go Explore.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Few things beat a 'good' which to me generally means firm. A soft bed or one with a big sag in the middle can be fucking brutal. Modern beds often seem to focus on cushy and soft with stupid thick pillow tops. I have a good mattress, no pillow top over 3/4"ply and it rocks. GF bought a new bed of pocket coils, firm and limited top.... it's good too but no better I'd say despite it's high price.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I know our bed is too soft. It was expensive and was given to us by a friend leaving town.

I messed up my shoulder sleeping is a new position on the soft bed. I could have never laid like that in a firmer bed. I saw on the interwebz that 1/3 (???) of operable shoulder injuries come from sleeping in poor position.

Now I understand that soft mattress contributes to this.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Buy a new bed.

paging montanaskier to the white courtesy phone...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I love my tempurpedic. I actually got the cheaper one cause I found the more expensive ones to be too soft. I don't skimp on my bedding. We spend a 1/3 of our life sleeping and I also love to sleep!!!
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Tempur-Pedics are life-changing.

Temper Pedic. The hard foam deal. Trully no comparison, especially if you have back issues.

Find one, try one, then you'll buy one.

I GUARANTEE IT!

This: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90139941

I swear it is the best mattress I have ever had. I slipped four vert in my neck about 3 years ago now. I used to always wake up with a stiff neck and lower back pain on my old mattress. Bought this about 8 months ago. I have never felt better. It doesn't hold heat and you stay cool.

We've got a 100% latex mattress. Cost a fortune, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Firm, comfy as hell, zero sag and a 20 year warranty taboot.

Tempurpedic mattress smell funny to me, and they make me sleep really hot.

+1 on the Latex mattress. my biggest issue was lower back pain and both expensive beds I've bought prior, broke down around five years and the mattress company wouldn't honor the warranty. I didn't even consider a foam bed due to the idea of chemicals off gassing and causing crazy dreams.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Waterbeds are good for the back
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

I've had the Rhapsody Tempurpedic for almost 5 years & am happy with it.It's great for sleeping on my back but it's a bit firm when sleeping on my side for my weight,150lbs .It can be hot in the summer,the only other thing is that it has already started to break down & there is a concave depression where I usually sleep.The smell went away fairly quickly.
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    We've got a 100% latex mattress. Cost a fortune, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Firm, comfy as hell, zero sag and a 20 year warranty taboot.

Tempurpedic mattress smell funny to me, and they make me sleep really hot.
    ^^^ bags has nailed it (and SuperChief). Latex is the bomb and lasts essentially forever. I also prefer them greatly to Tempurpedics, for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    +1 on the Latex mattress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    ^^^ bags has nailed it (and SuperChief). Latex is the bomb and lasts essentially forever. I also prefer them greatly to Tempurpedics..
    These guys are right. I've been using a latex mattress for 5 years and it's, by far, the best bed I've ever had.

OK, so who makes good latex mattresses?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    This: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90139941

It's pretty affordable.

doughboyshredder Guest
    tempur-pedic changed my life. I've had mine for about 6 years now. It's close to time to replace it though. My cat kind of fucked it up when she was a kitten.

Trying to compare mattresses is like trying to compare skis. There are significant differences between springs, memory/latex foam and air. Each has their benefits and drawbacks. The bottom line is go try them and find one YOU like. Just like skis a mattress is a very subjective item. One size does not fit all.

As far as quality goes, spring mattresses are one of the few products that are still domestically made and quality is relatively high across the board amongst the major brands (Sealy, Serta, Simmons, Ther-A-Pedic, etc). Domestically made memory/latex are also pretty high quality, but there is a lot of imported (read:CHINESE) product out there because unlike springs it is much easier and cheaper to import foam and there are no tariffs on them. I would avoid the Chinese shit like the plague.

If you want more info, PM Montanaskier.
    The Sheriff is near!

WTF! We actually have a serial poster who has a doctorate in mattressecology, and he hasn't posted yet? He must have left his brains in the bucket he lost, or perhaps he didn't dial up his bed to the right sleep number last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Trying to compare mattresses is like trying to compare skis. The bottom line is go try them and find one YOU like.
    Bingo. I love my tempur-Pedic. have never noticed a smell (or if I did I've been acclimated for a long time) and don't sleep hot in it either although I've heard other people say that before. I surmise that people who get hot were using too soft of a bed, when they lay on it it sort of engulfs them. Hell, some people are deathly allergic to Latex. A harder bed feels better to me anyways and like it was said above, I stick to the cheapest line of tempur-Pedic because they're firmer than the expensive lines. But that's not why I posted.

A buddy of mine is an exterminator. Not Orkin, but like that. He drives around in his company truck and kills things, mostly bugs. When I told him I was buying another bed for our new place, he kinda freaked and asked if I was having it delivered. When I said "yes" he said "well cancel it, rent a truck and go get it if you have to.

His reason? Bedbugs. He says he's done maybe 300 cases of them and in about 25 the bugs almost immediately recurred. When people buy a mattress they have the old one hauled away and they sit in the truck with the new matresses that are getting delivered. People with bedbugs buy new mattresses. His company warns against having them delivered, but people don't listen. If the plastic cover is airtight -no holes at all- it would be okay but they always have rips. There's also some number of beds that get the bugs and the person didn't have them before, they came in with the mattress but there's no way to count them.

Just a word to the wise.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-20-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I got ours from Foam Source in Boulder. But different densities give you soft, medium and firm so like Garth says, you should try it out before you buy.

I have nothing relevant to add. But seriously, how do the Mexicans do it? Their mattresses are so firm. I actually had a bruise on my hip from sleeping on my side for a week the last time I was in Mexico.

FWIW, we bought the top of the line Serta Perfect Day mattress almost 2 years ago. We got the pillow top that has a nice thick layer of memory foam over firm coils. It is heaven. When paired with a nice memory foam contoured pillow I sleep on my back without moving a muscle all night. It was expensive but SO worth it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I've heard people talk about hot memory foam mattresses, but this is the first I've heard of hot Tempur-Pedics.