Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bill to put Colorado on permanent daylight saving time...

Wonder if resorts would adjust their hours of operations if this actually happened...
    I know they don't adjust currently when DST starts in the spring, but maybe if it effected the whole season?

Also, how will this effect happy hour?

Four days after most Americans lost an hour of sleep by moving their clocks forward one hour, a Colorado Senate committee voted to put the state on daylight saving time year-round.

Sen. Greg Brophy deliberately timed his bill to be heard this week when, he said, he knew people would be cranky about having to adjust their body clocks once again.

"Are you tired? Are your kids' schedules upset? Isn't it crazy we go through this twice a year?" he asked the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee. "I think it's time to stop this charade."

The Wray Republican said he likes the idea of staying on daylight saving time because Colorado is an outdoors state and people want more light in the evening instead of in the morning.

"The Broncos will have an extra hour of playing time in the daylight," Brophy added.

"Will they actually win?" Sen. Kevin Grantham, R-Cañon City, asked.

"I can't guarantee that," Brophy said, with a laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I don't live in CO, but I would love that nationwide. Maybe someday . . .
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Daylight savings is like cutting the top of your blanket off and sewing on the bottom and telling people you have a longer blanket.

It's pointless.

The idea that people complain about losing an hour of sleep on a Sunday morning is laughable.

There are few days that I celebrate as heartily as the change to DST- it means life after work- running, biking, BBQs, the end of the dark winter in this cold ass valley I call home.

I would jump up in the air like one of those old Toyota commercials if that Bill were passed. I already have to wake up in the dark all winter- what's another hour of darkness at work when I could have light in the evening instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

One of the biggest impacts I can foresee for resorts is having to alter their hours of operation; one hour later, or have patrol running around in the dark trying to do avy control before lifts open.

Quote Originally Posted by pillowfluffer View Post
    Daylight savings is like cutting the top of your blanket off and sewing on the bottom and telling people you have a longer blanket.

It's pointless.
    I agree. Just more gapers out for dawn patrol.

No thanks. It would end up costing everyone working the evening shift one hour of skiing (assuming ski areas opened an hour later). If you can't handle a one hour time change twice a year, you're a gigantic pussy.

Permanent DST means a wintertime 10pm flight into Vegas gets you a 930pm arrival. That's called winning.

I hate DST symbolically. It means winter is coming to an end. Screw that. I don't need a reminder.

Eh, I'm cool with it, big fan of daylight, big fan.
    but how will it affect happy hour?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    If you can't handle a one hour time change twice a year, you're a gigantic pussy.
    I agree with this sentiment. I also laugh at some of the things you hear about DST. For example, someone on the news said "we gain an hour of daylight" from the change. How does this work, exactly? If there was some kind of scheme that would give us an extra hour of daylight I'd be all for it, though!

Looks like the Government is monitoring this thread. Here's the referral to my website from here:

Domain Name usbr.gov ? (U.S. Government)
    IP Address 140.215.151.# (Department of Interior)
    ISP Department of Interior
    Location Continent : North America
    State : Colorado
    City : Denver
    Lat/Long : 39.7437, -104.9793 (Map)

Language English (U.S.)
    en-us
    Operating System Macintosh WinXP
    Browser Safari 1.3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.597.98 Safari/534.13
    Javascript version 1.5
    Monitor Resolution : 1280 x 1024
    Color Depth : 32 bits

Time of Visit Mar 17 2011 1:54:40 pm
    Last Page View Mar 17 2011 1:54:40 pm
    Visit Length 0 seconds
    Page Views 1
    Referring URL http://www.tetongrav...light-saving-time
    Time Zone UTC-7:00
    Visitor's Time Mar 17 2011 1:54:40 pm
    Visit Number 19,038

oh no, wait till they stumble on the polyass forum. They'll shut us down.

The Government uses a Mac? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I agree with this sentiment. I also laugh at some of the things you hear about DST. For example, someone on the news said "we gain an hour of daylight" from the change. How does this work, exactly? If there was some kind of scheme that would give us an extra hour of daylight I'd be all for it, though!
    For anyone who works a 9-5 job, yes, we effectively gain an hour of usable daylight.

I'd sure as hell rather have an hour of daylight after I get out of work than an hour before I to work in the morning, so I'm for the change.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    For anyone who works a 9-5 job, yes, we effectively gain an hour of usable daylight.
    Which is different than gaining an hour of daylight.

I'm looking out the office window at some damn useless daylight right now!
    Damn useless 6" of new snow too...

What impact will perma-DST have on the climate? It seems like more daylight would translate into more melting. And what about Asia? Will they have less daylight?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Which is different than gaining an hour of daylight.
    ???
    So your beef is that they don't always put the word "effectively" in there? Or acknowledge that those who don't work a normal day job schedule don't see the benefit? Because whether we somehow stretch time to give me that extra hour of light after work, or whether we just fiddle with the clock, makes little difference to me.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

For anyone who works a 9-5 job and that can't get their ass out of bed before 8, effectively gains an hour of usable daylight.
    Sorry, but I just can't see changing time for everyone, so that some people can sleep in.
    The daylights the same, what you choose to do with it, is up to you!

Daylight Skiing Time!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

So your beef is that they don't always put the word "effectively" in there?
    Correct. We're not gaining an hour of daylight.

Another pet peeve is how people seem to think it's Daylight Savings Time.

So does anyone think that DST would effect hours of operation due to darkness in the early morning hours, especially Dec-Jan, or am I alone on this one?
    I don't know how well the 9-5 crowd would respond to lifts opening between 9 and 10 (staying open till 5) instead of 8-9, especially on a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Sorry, but I just can't see changing time for everyone, so that some people can sleep in.
    The daylights the same, what you choose to do with it, is up to you!
    It has nothing to do with not getting out of bed. *insert rolleyes thingamabob* I can get out of bed plenty early. And you do realize that "9-5" job is a shorthand for working stiff with normal working hours, don't you? That encompasses people who go to work at 7, or 8, or whatever, not just people who get to work at 9. I was up at 6:15 this morning, I'm not exactly sleeping in. But even assuming that my job was perfectly timed so that I get the hour of light either way...

One, it is a fuckton colder at first light, so while it may be just as light as at sunset, it's a lot less pleasant for outdoor recreation. Second, don't know about you, but I prefer to do my recreating after work, not before.
    Last edited by Danno; 03-18-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Australia moved to DST early during the 2000 Olympics, we were also having an epic season that year, and if I recall correctly it was a great thing for spring skiing, especially as I was working in ski school and got off at 3:30, the snow was noticeably better and less sun affected as it was effectively 2:30, we did quite a bit of cool shit after work that wasn't otherwise really possible.