LA surf haole questions

Ok, so I have to be in LA for Christmas or my family is going to kill me. Upon reviewing the weather forcast for the winter regions of the state, I think it will be colder in LA. So I'm thinking of going down early and doing some surfing. Since I'm a complete JONG, I have some questions.

Where's a good beginner break?
    Where can I rent a board (especially one for a fat ass that's 6'1" 230)?
    Will I need a wetsuit?
    I do have a rashguard, so I'm not completely unprepared. Just mostly.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

MB has been pretty kind to my gaper ass. Lineups can get a little crowded, but they're chill. You will want a wetsuit (if I don't buy a board for xmas, you can borrow mine. Don't pee in it.) I have no idea where there's a good place to rent a real (nonfoam) board.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

shit's cold.

sunset (kook korner) is nice for beginners, you can wreck your board and nobody will care.

give me a call when you're headed out.
    fine

Defintely need a wetsuit.

I would 2nd the Sunset recomendation. Mellow waves and crowd that are a lot easier for beginners than MB.

I know people have rented both, just don't know where. They just opened up the yellow pages and started calling surf shops. Good luck.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I won't have time this week. But if Tahoe is still warm next week and I can find a cheap wetsuit, I'll go catch some ripples.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

FArty- gimme a holler. I may be down there if this storm rains like the last one.

Generally MB is pretty mellow and very unlocalized. Porto up a couple of blocks is a shitfight with multiple drop-ins as the norm.

I have an old board that Clack used stored at my old place. It's like a 7'6" 1970s antique. No wetties though...you'll have to brave the 55 degree water and watch your weewee shrivel to the size of a raisin.