SID vs. Revelation vs. ?

Short story - finally getting a new bike this year, and I am throwing caution to the wind and building it up to be the bike I want. It won't see any bike park duty, and being in the mid-Atlantic, we have plenty of steep ups and downs, they're just not very long. Likewise, the trails tend to go up-down-up-down-up-down rather than a long up followed by a long down like you might get out west. So, bike wise, I'm shooting for a slack-ish geo (67-ish HA) and ~130mm rear travel.

Up front, what I really want is 130 mm travel but no dual-position stuff, as the ups and downs are just way to short and frequent. Of course, light weight and stiff would be nice too. Oh, and all for less than $200

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts/experience on how a 120mm SID compares w/ a Revelation? Reading the descriptions on the RockShox site, the SID sounds like it's just a shorter travel version w/o the travel adjust. I found a review on BikeRadar that seemed to indicate the 120mm version of the SID was beefed up compared to the 100mm versions, so that would also suggest it's something like a shorter-travel Revelation.

Thoughts?

Look for a what bike thread in the next week or so!

all the rockshox stuff can be easily adjusted travel wise if they are fixed. ie a 150mm revelation would take a mechanic maybe 15 minutes and a $3 part to make a 130mm.

you might look for previous year reba 120s and revelation 140s as well.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I have a 130 revelation from 07 (I believe), that I've used for two seasons. Just had the oil changed near the end of last season. I want to upgrade to a 150 revelation so the 130 might be on the chopping block. Let me know if you're interested.

Sorta' light, but not tank heavy, tough, not spendy, stiff, I'd go for one of the Sektor forks in a 20mm version. Or if the budget isn't a bit deal, the something in the Revelation line.

I've got a 2010 Revelation on one of my rides, and the fork has been great. Rides and feels very good.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

SIDs are pretty flexy and don't feel anywhere near as plush as a Rev or Reba, unless your only worried about weight I would stay away.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Thanks for the info gents. Somehow hadn't put 2 and 2 together on the travel adjust until Marshal spelled it out. Found the service manual on SRAM's site and now it makes sense. Revelation Dual Air it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Thanks for the info gents. Somehow hadn't put 2 and 2 together on the travel adjust until Marshal spelled it out. Found the service manual on SRAM's site and now it makes sense. Revelation Dual Air it is...
    I'd not even bother right away. Ride it at the stock travel and see how it feels. Then if you want it lower, as Marshal said, it's an easy fix. I think they are actually sending out new forks with the spacers to do the job even. At least my last fork came with some.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

SID = Suicide In Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I'd not even bother right away. Ride it at the stock travel and see how it feels. Then if you want it lower, as Marshal said, it's an easy fix. I think they are actually sending out new forks with the spacers to do the job even. At least my last fork came with some.
    Yup, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to figure out if I had to make a decision between 120 and 150 without riding them, or if the Revelation could bridge that gap.