Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fattwins View Post
    Will watch it later nate Hope all is well.
    thanks again for the hospitality Nick. hope i can make it back there someday soon. and i've got to believe Japan has something good coming its way...

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondAndre's View Post
    Nate - my wife and I did Vietnam (and Singapore) for our honeymoon a few months back. Started in Ho Chi Minh, then worked our way north through Hoi An and into Hanoi with a side trip to Halong Bay. We had an amazing, amazing time - and started planning our return trip about half way through.

On the second trip, we would most likely stay in the north. Hanoi is worth a couple of days and Halong Bay is most certainly worth two nights - if for nothing else than some quiet after Hanoi. Then go through Sapa into the mountains, and from there into Laos and Cambodia. Or, come into Vietnam through the mountains/Sapa. I would put a big premium on staying out of the cities - Vietnam has been changed a lot by the tourism over the last decade and not always for the better....

How did you do your trip planning for Japan? I've been digging around online for ski area descriptions, reviews and haven't had a ton of success yet. Any big pointers?

Thanks for the video, and enjoy the trip!

Matt
    Thanks for the tips, we're planning on the trip to Sapa, and hoping to rent some motorbikes for a few days of exploration. Just made it to Laos and feels great to be away from the main destinations in Thailand.

Planned Japan with a lot of time on here and elsewhere on the internet. You really cant go wrong, big names - Niseko/Hakuba, or lesser known spots - search for Japan on this forum. I recommend http://www.hokkaidotravel.co.jp for transit & bookings and the Hakuba Powder Lodge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Sugoi.

Which editing programme please?
    Thanks Mike - Final Cut Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by StopMakingSense View Post
    I saw the beginning to your video this morning Nate and my jaw dropped. The first minute drew me in with glossed eyes. I knew from that moment I have to wait until I get from work tonight to watch it properly and enjoy it with a beer from Vermont.

On that note, I did read through your blog at work. Honestly, I couldn't be happier to read about two people doing what they're inspired to do. A huge further inspiration to me with my recent career changes and similar aspirations of yours.

I'll be following your blog with great interest over the next 12 months without a doubt.

Question... from what I saw you took some S7's? What did you mount them with? Did you bring another setup? And lastly... what boots? Debating this question right now with my travel thoughts for next year as I intend to do both touring and resort style skiing while lugging around my bag of gear.
    I do have the Super 7s, mounted with Fritschis. Heavy setup for touring, but the skis are amazing and worth it in my mind. And I have Dalbello Rampage boots, so again, not ideal for touring but they're my first new boots in 5 years and fit my feet right.

And thank you, i wish i could sit back with a VT brew as well. We'll do our best to keep the blog updated and entertaining.

and thanks to everyone else for the comments as well. cheers

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    bumping really cool shit back to the top to replace the endless waste of stokeless poli asshattery.
    Thanks for sharing stuff that's worthy to be shared
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

WHAT??? No bumps in 5 days?????

must stay at top.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

WOW! Thanks for bumping this as I had missed it.

Great, great video! Looking forward to the next installments. Keep up the good work!

Truly fucking moving. WOW!

Good luck on your vision quest. Your GF is one smart cookie and I am sure you have told her the world traveling idea is the best ever.
    Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I feel like I should have paid to watch that video. I hope your career involves film.

WOW excellent film!! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Definitely have plans to ski in Japan within the next few years.

My heart goes out to all those affected by the natural disaster in Japan.

Nate, this is the best film I have seen in a LONG time, even if it was only 14min long. Great job.

I had plans to go to Japan this season that were cut short due to a severe injury. this really makes me want to see if Adaptive skiing is something doable. No More BC touring, but the lift terrain is really amazing over there...

have fun on your journey!

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I feel like I should have paid to watch that video. I hope your career involves film.
    fkna!

Obviously these 5 eyes have skill and this this piece is more than just a holiday TR edit. But I'm glad for that because it was well worth watching and I now know who I'd contact if I ever needed some quality film media made up. Credit where credit is due.

Ira - sorry to hear about your injury and new mode of skiing.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    Nate, this is the best film I have seen in a LONG time, even if it was only 14min long. Great job.

I had plans to go to Japan this season that were cut short due to a severe injury. this really makes me want to see if Adaptive skiing is something doable. No More BC touring, but the lift terrain is really amazing over there...

have fun on your journey!

Ira
    Japan mags can probably fill you in more than I can but there were a couple sit skiers shredding pow at Hakuba Iwatake when I was there this winter. I'm sure you could pull it off mang.

This is about as far from skiing related as you can get, but i figured some of you might be interested in our second installment from SE Asia. If you have any questions about specific locations feel free to ask.

A bit shorter this time, and the last segment is my favorite. Enjoy!

Last edited by nate; 07-29-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Cortina trees on a sitski now that is something I would go to watch!
    Nate another good video. The old company must miss your skills. Good luck with the upcoming season!

Hey obviously I'm late to the party but figured this could use a bump now that the season is coming around. I just wanted to say that stumbling onto this video late last season made me and my friends want to plan a Japan trip. I can now say that due to a bunch of internet research on places like this, such a trip is now a reality. Hitting Niseko for 10 days the last week of January with 5 friends from Mammoth, so excited to experience such an adventure.

Just one question...with your 7D, did you use any sort of mounts/rigs for stability? most notably in the tree sections

Cheers
    "Snowboarding isn't a race, it's a disability" - Cheech Sander

Just beer yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/RichieCski

Quote Originally Posted by RichieCski View Post
    Hey obviously I'm late to the party but figured this could use a bump now that the season is coming around. I just wanted to say that stumbling onto this video late last season made me and my friends want to plan a Japan trip. I can now say that due to a bunch of internet research on places like this, such a trip is now a reality. Hitting Niseko for 10 days the last week of January with 5 friends from Mammoth, so excited to experience such an adventure.

Just one question...with your 7D, did you use any sort of mounts/rigs for stability? most notably in the tree sections

Cheers
    awesome! that's why we made the video in the first place.

we used a tripod or a good old backpack-pod for most of the shots, and cheated in Final Cut with the smooth cam filter when needed.

I'm sorry I missed the Japan edit the first time around. A top tier effort.

Keep on sharing your edits, please.

You should submit these videos to the Travel Channel or Current.tv and get a mini-series or webisode special.

That video should be sent in as a kickass documentary. That was outstanding! So cool to see such amazing video taken. The skiing, scenery, lights, mood, chilled vibe all were captured beautifully. Thanks for sharing that.

Fukiage Onsen and Tokachidake area are one of the main places I wanna go back and ski. Saw some skiers/boarders come by when in that onsen.

One of your scenes from Kyoto was taken just around the corner from where I got married FT would prolly know it.

I know its too late now, but I woulda recommended you visit Kratie, Cambodia to see the Irrawaddy dolphins. There are just a dozen or so left. I was happy to have seen them before they're extint.

Thanks again for sharing. I'll have to watch it with a beer tonight.
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    That video should be sent in as a kickass documentary. That was outstanding! So cool to see such amazing video taken. The skiing, scenery, lights, mood, chilled vibe all were captured beautifully. Thanks for sharing that.

Fukiage Onsen and Tokachidake area are one of the main places I wanna go back and ski. Saw some skiers/boarders come by when in that onsen.

One of your scenes from Kyoto was taken just around the corner from where I got married FT would prolly know it.

I know its too late now, but I woulda recommended you visit Kratie, Cambodia to see the Irrawaddy dolphins. There are just a dozen or so left. I was happy to have seen them before they're extint.

Thanks again for sharing. I'll have to watch it with a beer tonight.
    thanks! yeah, too late for cambodia unfortuntely. we only had time for Angkor, which i finally had time to edit the other day...

awesome Nate, I spent a lot of time in Cambodia and Asia in general, Angkor is very cool spot, getting outside the park a bit got you away from the construction going on. Happy Pizzas and scooters make for a fun zip through the park. Phnom Penh is a wild place and so is battambong. Did you cross in through Poi Pet? we did it at midnight and the truck broke down, hiking through cambodian fields in the middle of the night for 3 hours was no fun.

Heading to Japan in Feb, this TR solidified the choice for me last year, hoping we get it as good as you did.

Beautiful scenery and shots. Thanks for sharing, it was great.
    Shredding St. Anton am Arlberg, Austria every winter!
    Follow at http://freeskiing.dk
    Check out http://blacksnow.dk

Nate, did you get to Laos? I havent had the chance to watch your other two videos, but I will later today/tonight. Si Phan Don, Laos, on the border of Cambodia was spectacular. Gotta love Beer Lao!

Thanks for putting up your other videos. Will have a look. Seems like yall went to some great places in Kyoto - shoulda let me know, I know a few good watering holes
    パウダーバカ!!

Nate, did you get to Laos? I havent had the chance to watch your other two videos, but I will later today/tonight. Si Phan Don, Laos, on the border of Cambodia was spectacular. Gotta love Beer Lao!

Thanks for putting up your other videos. Will have a look. Seems like yall went to some great places in Kyoto - shoulda let me know, I know a few good watering holes
    yes, Laos was probably our favorite in SE Asia, though we only did the north. a 15+ hour bus ride to get to Si Phan Don wasn't in the cards. anyway, see the last segment of that SE Asia video. Beer lao dark was a godsend!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    This is about as far from skiing related as you can get, but i figured some of you might be interested in our second installment from SE Asia. If you have any questions about specific locations feel free to ask.

A bit shorter this time, and the last segment is my favorite. Enjoy!

Nate, that video is outstanding. Its nice seeing this video as I havent been back to Laos, Camobodia since my first trip. Who is the artist from 7:15? The night market at Luang Prabang is pretty cool eh. Did yall start from Bangkok and then head north to Chiang Mai and then cross over from Chiang Rai? The flow of the vid feels like that. Anyways, I like the artist you used in the last seg. Really chilled. If you see this, or anybody else who knows, could you let me know who it is please? Cheers!
    パウダーバカ!!

Nate, that video is outstanding. Its nice seeing this video as I havent been back to Laos, Camobodia since my first trip. Who is the artist from 7:15? The night market at Luang Prabang is pretty cool eh. Did yall start from Bangkok and then head north to Chiang Mai and then cross over from Chiang Rai? The flow of the vid feels like that. Anyways, I like the artist you used in the last seg. Really chilled. If you see this, or anybody else who knows, could you let me know who it is please? Cheers!
    yeah we flew into Bangkok, hit some beaches down south (first segment), then north to Chiang Mai (night market), and northern Laos to Luang Prabang (last segment) where we flew to Ho Chi Minh. working on a vietnam edit right now.

the song is by Jose Gonzalez, called "stay in the shade" if you like that song you'll like all his stuff. and thanks for the kind words. cheers!