Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MASSIVE Shuskan Arm slide

Just got word of a massive slide on the Shuskan arm from a very reliable source. Sounds like it may have been bigger than the Valentines day slide in 98-99, bassed upon the debrie. Hopefully no one was out there in the drainage today!

oof... i know two guys up around Baker today... really hoping they were playing it safe
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

im guessing there isnt any real beta available now?

Best guess is it went between 10 am and noon. About 5 feet deep in most places. Filled Rumble Gully. Covered at least 40 sets of tracks from people doing Oye Valley and the Retards Traverse from top of Chair 8. Noone reported missing will see if cars left in parking lot soon.

'twas just a matter of time. gunder, go up and take some pictures for all of us desk jockeys.

hope all of us are safe and sound.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    Best guess is it went between 10 am and noon. About 5 feet deep in most places. Filled Rumble Gully. Covered at least 40 sets of tracks from people doing Oye Valley and the Retards Traverse from top of Chair 8. Noone reported missing will see if cars left in parking lot soon.
    You yellowjackets have been busting your asses for a long time now and I for one appreciate your hard work keeping the area "under control".
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Thanks Hop, It was a battle to get 6 open today, but it did open. Looks good for tomorrow too. I ski cut some really big slides today. Hope noone is in Rumble gully.

Are you guys guessing it slide from that mid-feb rain crust?

Not surprising to me...let's hope it didn't surprise someone else.

I also echo the appreciation for the control work (and keeping the morons safe).
    Living vicariously through myself.

Really hard to say with this much snow in the past few weeks. Just had a little bit of clearing and it looks like it started by the Gunbarrels. In places it is 10 feet deep.

Thanks Hop, It was a battle to get 6 open today, but it did open. Looks good for tomorrow too. I ski cut some really big slides today. Hope noone is in Rumble gully.
    6 may open tomorrow, but at what temp? I'm already planning on taking tomorrow off.

The Bonin Petrels

Damn, I hope no one got it.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

It wasn't much before noon, because I hit a few laps through Oye Valley before that. That's sobering to say the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    It wasn't much before noon, because I hit a few laps through Oye Valley before that. That's sobering to say the very least.
    You either got way bigger balls than me, or your an idiot, or maybe both if you where in the drainage today. No fucking way in hell I was going to go any where near that or upper elbo today.

Anyone that was here in 98-99 is scared shitless of rumble gully, and hopefully after people see this more people will have some respect for how dangerous that terrain trap is.

regarding the slide... unreal. interested to see the crown if it ever clears up

thank you again for the work on 6! had some amazingly fun laps once it was open. it definitely did not take much force to get the shootings cracks to propagate in the most recent layer. hope everyone makes it home safely this evening.
    "snowboarding can be playing but to me it's more like living"
    -craig kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    You either got way bigger balls than me, or your an idiot, or maybe both if you where in the drainage today. No fucking way in hell I was going to go any where near that or upper elbo today.

Anyone that was here in 98-99 is scared shitless of rumble gully, and hopefully after people see this more people will have some respect for how dangerous that terrain trap is.
    Watching Return of the Nina needs to be a prerequesite for people skiing the arm, just to send a chill down their spine and learn a little respect for what can happen when things go big. I'm a know-nothing college kid and that footage sends a shiver to my core knowing that one day, me or one of my friends could be under there.

I'd never heard of the movie - link for others like me. Thanks for the headsup. Does the full film have footage from the huge slide?

Edit: some of the other clips there are worth a look. Holy shit.

So we had a little bit of clearing and holy shit. That 5 foot stuff was just the lower flanks. The crown was a totally legit no bs 15 feet deep. And we counted over 100 tracks covered by the debris. I believe the only reason we did not have multiple fatalities is that it happened right after chair 6 opened.

Damn. That is some scary stuff P. How wide was it? Gunbarrels -> ????

The Bonin Petrels

Wow. Hope nobody got caught. I'm not surprised. Numerous weak layers, including facets on the Feb rain crust. Please post with more details as they come in.

Wow... jesus that's scary. Unbelievably lucky nobody was taken down in that.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

yikes, i was up there yesterday, and as clouds blew in an out while riding chair 8 I could see lots of huge crown lines further out. I'm really curious to hear more about this.

we counted over 100 tracks covered by the debris.
    Wow. Just wow. Talk about the cure for Pow Fever.
    Last edited by neufox47; 03-15-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Cus im a moron

is it possible to get a picture or is it too cloudy still? Id be curious to see it.
    stay safe out there all of you.

Where is gunbarrels on the arm?
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797