Time for a dedicated AT boot. A little advice please.

After Saturday's 4 hour tour in my Lange Comp 130LF's my feet can't take it any more. I have been shopping around for the last week and my search has narrowed to the Dynafit Titan and Zzero 4 C-TF.

The Titan feels spot on for the downhill, but is sure a tight fit for the touring side of things. I worry that my feet will suffer in the Titans on the long tours, much like they do in my Lange's. The Zzero feels great, nice tight instep, heal cup and calf, with plenty of room for my toes to move on long hikes. I am however concerned that with the lower cuff height and softer flex they just won't push a my skis like I want.

I am 6' 170lbs, strong technical skier, love to ski fast and mix it up between farming and big open GS turns. I also like to drop lots of stuff 20ft and smaller. Currently skiing High Society FR 187's (104 under foot Med flex) and ON3P Caylor 192's both mounted with Dukes.

Other boots I have tried on and know will not work, based on fit, are BD Method and Scarpa Mobe.

The only AT boots I have owned in the past are Garmont Adrenalins, and I hated that boot.

Titans + Bootfitter. If you're going to haul big skis and bindings, why not get a boot to match?

Good point. I am looking to eventually go to a dedicated touring set up, I just don't have the $$ for everything right now. Boots first then the rest.

You sound like you'd be better off in the Titans. A lot of people are a lot happier in Titans with Intuition liners, the stock liners make them feel really narrow. Doesn't help much if you're set on getting boots now, but for next year there will be lighter and stiffer versions of both of those boots.

The stock Titan liner responds really well to thermofitting fwiw. It will expand a decent amount

Pretty much what everyone else has said, go with the Titans. Been on the same Lange Freeride 130's for 4 years for in-bounds and this is my second year on the Titans for touring. The Titans are the best touring boot I've found after numerous others failed miserably. But then again, nothing matches the feeling of those Langes...

Oh, and I rock the stock Titan liner and am quite happy with it. I did replace that crappy nylon strap w/ a booster. I like em stiff but you gotta have a little progression in that flex...

I'm on the same alpine boots, really like my factors and intuitions.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    You sound like you'd be better off in the Titans. A lot of people are a lot happier in Titans with Intuition liners, the stock liners make them feel really narrow. Doesn't help much if you're set on getting boots now, but for next year there will be lighter and stiffer versions of both of those boots.
    any wieghts on next years titan ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The stock Titan liner responds really well to thermofitting fwiw. It will expand a decent amount
    This is the truth. Thermofitting the stock liners made mine go from excruciating pain to a tight fit and after a dozen days quite comfortable.

I'll second Titans with Intuitions in them. I can walk all day in them and not be uncomfortable, then lock them down and love them on the way down as well.

I use Factors for everything, I like the way they ski as much as any alpine boot I've ever owned. They are a tad heavier than a true touring boot but they're also a tad lighter than an alpine boot. Solid all around and although many complain I really dig the BOA closure liner as well.
    Skiah for life

I have both boots and have limited time in my Titans. I have done many tours in the Zzero4 cf boots and have had no trouble using them to push wide skis. My only complaint is they can be a little cold on those minus degree days with howler monkey windchills. To fix this I added a thermal reflective layer and a 1/16" insole shim for a tad more insulation.
    watch out for snakes

^^^ nice idea scottyb (edit: nice avatar ).

i found the stock liners in the titan to be too soft and waaaay too cold.
    where/how did you add the reflective layer (only under the footbed)?

i added intuition luxury liners, a small rear spoiler, and a booster strap (which made a big difference).
    definitely stiff enough (now) too drive big skis (Lotus120,Goliath191).

i'm a total bc newb and have only been on a couple of short skins in them, but they seem very comfortable.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I have Zzeros4Cs and Zzueseseses, so pretty close to your options. I'm also about your size but suck. (I know the title of best intermediate skier has been taken; how about worst expert?) I have a hudge big toe and had to bake the liners a couple times to get it right, but I'm as comfortable in a Zzues as a Zzero at this point, up or down. FWIW, cuff height (or lack thereof) on the Zzeros is more of an issue for me than the softer flex. Have not tried the Zzeros on bigger skis yet, but I'd go with the bigger boots from the description of your skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ nice idea scottyb (edit: nice avatar ).

i found the stock liners in the titan to be too soft and waaaay too cold.
    where/how did you add the reflective layer (only under the footbed)?
    Yes, the instructions indicated to stick them(they are adhesive) to the underside of the foot bed, the other option was to put them on the bottom of the boot liner. Got mine from Tognar. It helps some, not as good as having a chem pack or heating strip.

I would also add that I got my Titans mainly for inbound skiing using the alpine sole blocks but its nice to be able to do BC with them by swapping out the boot soles. I will be sliding in my Intuition PW liners for next year. Yeah, my season is over here.
    watch out for snakes

OP: More specifics would help. What was the problem with the fit of the Mobe and Method? And why did you hate the Garmonts? Cannot speak to Titans, but interesting that you've tried three very different lasted boots, all respected, and dismissed all. So unless your dislike is not about fit, or unless Titans are a fourth unique foot shape, hmmm.

Another idea: 1) Go look at the Virus. Cabrios have different flex patterns, different feel when walking too. OTOH, they're narrow in the toebox, so if you like them otherwise, either you better have forefeet like that or be prepared for grinding/stretching. Which means don't get the Pebax version...

I got the megarides with stiffer tongues, light and supportive( im 155#ish with gear)
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    OP: More specifics would help. What was the problem with the fit of the Mobe and Method? And why did you hate the Garmonts? Cannot speak to Titans, but interesting that you've tried three very different lasted boots, all respected, and dismissed all. So unless your dislike is not about fit, or unless Titans are a fourth unique foot shape, hmmm.
    Problem with the Methond is it has a very high instep so I could not get a good tight fit there, also the calf area was too large for my chicken legs, even with the ladders moved to the smaller hole.

Mobe is actually the most comfortable boot on, but they have a terrible heal pocket. Again my chicken legs/ankles felt like it was not possible to get a proper fit.

I learned long ago, trying to ski Salomon boots, that it is nearly impossible to get a boot that is too big to fit, as time only makes the problem worse. Yes there are fillers, but they pack out and ultimately if you don't have the plastic there to support, all packing will eventually give out.

The Garmonts were great for the uphill, but soft, mushy and too upright for me to have any confidence while in them on the downhill.

Sounds like you'll like Titans. I have a low volume, low instep foot, with a slightly wide right forefoot. I had my right toe box stretched, baked the liners at home in the oven (210F, 12 minutes), and it made a huge difference in fit, much more room in the narrow toe area. Of course, use toe caps and spacers if needed. I had originally had the stock liners molded at a store on the blowers, and they didn't mold nearly as well (not hot enough)?

If the Titans are tight you should be looking at BD Quadrants, which are also much lighter. Here's a review I threw down after garnering some feedback here on the board:

http://notesfromtheneve.com/2011/03/...mond-quadrant/
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats