Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big Sky or Bridger - Right Now

In Bozeman for a couple of days... first time. Planned/wanted to ski BB, but with the warm weather and lack of snow - wondering if the better option would be Big Sky strictly based on snow conditions...

I have been checking the weather and other threads - but anyone with insight regarding the snow conditions from yesterday would be helpful.

Don't turn this into a battle of which resort is better - just what you have experienced over the last couple of days please...

Thanks for the help - appreciate it.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

with a lack of fresh snow, it depends on if you like bumps. Bridger will be moguled up. Big Sky will have bumps but generally more grooming.

Without new snow Big Sky is always my choice. Super Bros and laps on the groomers.

bb slackcntry deliverin', gotta walk a bit tho...new stuff moved a lil bit ystrdy but not far/deep
    inbounds Nfacing chalk, yes w/bumps -maybe they make u stronger?dunno my tolerance is whacked been there toolong...
    hope you got summa that stormage somewhere anyway.......

Not to revive this thread from the dead - but I skied back at BS a day ago and it was definitely worth it. Compared to other things going on resort wise - BS grooms so hard on the lower mountain - plus a good layer of fresh is way worth it. Upper mountain has been reasonable without new snow - but 2 runs off of Lone Peak Triple Chair with new snow was almost the best of the year so far.... other than GT the past 2 days.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

How is Big Sky looking/whats the forecast? I'm headed up at this weekend. First timer, so I'm excited. Also, all the CO people can thank me for the snow since I changed my plans... I was suppose to be in Vail this week!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    How is Big Sky looking/whats the forecast? I'm headed up at this weekend. First timer, so I'm excited. Also, all the CO people can thank me for the snow since I changed my plans... I was suppose to be in Vail this week!
    This seems to be conservative in my opinion and is only for ~7500 ft but I would say gonna be deep by this weekend in to next week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-111.368&e=1

Perfect, this weekend into next week is my schedule. I'm dying for some snow.

Any must-sees or must-dos for my first time there? I keep going to the same familiar resorts, haven't had to explore in awhile.

Got a free place to stay and was heading to Big Sky in about a week. Can anyone give me a first hand report? Their web site suspiciously omits any YTD snow info. The only other source I can find shows 102", which makes the claimed base of 72" at top and 52" at the base literally impossible. Is the snowpack really that lame at Big Sky right now?

Also, the Challenger Lift is closed for the season. I do not want to pay over $100 for a ticket to just ski groomers. Is the Ridge even doable at this point?
    Gravity Junkie

^You should just stay home and clean your kitchen. BS is way out of your league if that's your logic.

You can still ski all of Challenger without the lift. Ride Headwaters, ski, lap around and repeat.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The steeps at BS are a rock festival if there is not good snow cover. Their web site claims "400 + inches of annual snowfall," but nowhere on the site does it give YTD snow total for this season, like every other major area in the country. I called them twice and neither person could give me a number. One guy said they do not keep track, which makes me wonder how the fuck they come up with their 400+" annual average.

Regardless of BS's hide the ball marketing strategy, I found one number from an unreliable source of total YTD snowfall for BS of 102", which if true is the worst in the west by a very large factor, and makes their claimed "base" totally suspect.

I am just trying to find out what the skiing is like right now. Is coming there and thinking I can ski off the Ridge and some of the other steeps without destroying my skis delusional?
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    The steeps at BS are a rock festival if there is not good snow cover. Their web site claims "400 + inches of annual snowfall," but nowhere on the site does it give YTD snow total for this season, like every other major area in the country. I called them twice and neither person could give me a number. One guy said they do not keep track, which makes me wonder how the fuck they come up with their 400+" annual average.

Regardless of BS's hide the ball marketing strategy, I found one number from an unreliable source of total YTD snowfall for BS of 102", which if true is the worst in the west by a very large factor, and makes their claimed "base" totally suspect.

I am just trying to find out what the skiing is like right now. Is coming there and thinking I can ski off the Ridge and some of the other steeps without destroying my skis delusional?
    I haven't been to BS since Christmas but live in Bozeman. They've gotten way more than 100" so far at BS. Friends who ski there all the time say it's been pretty good, although it has been warmer and drier than we like for a while now. That said there is still plenty of snow up high.

Skiing at Big Sky is always hard on your skis. Accept it or don't ski it.

Bridger on the other hand has no snow and should close immediately. Don't even consider skiing the Ridge. It will destroy your body as well as your skis.

Thanks for the info, that is just what I was looking for. Despite Challenger being closed, everything is accessible, but even though it's mid-March and you've had good snow, take the rock skis. Big Sky is just like Crested Butte. World class steeps, but the locals are so used to hitting rocks every run they don't even think about it anymore. It's just part of your game. To be forewarned is to be forearmed, with rock skis.
    Gravity Junkie

One guy said they do not keep track, which makes me wonder how the fuck they come up with their 400+" annual average.

http://www.onthesnow.com/montana/big...-snowfall.html

Looks like nearly 200" for the winter season of 15/16.

And that 400" number is so fucking stupid you just have to shrug. It is Annual snow fall, if Big Sky was open for skiing year round maybe it would make some sense.

1995/96 was a huge year and we got 398". from 10/1 through 5/1. 99" fell in October....

And BTW, it is currently snowing in Bozo.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Shark Week at Big Sky

Just got back from BS. Fantastic steep terrain, definitely some of the best in the Country. Got over two feet of snow during the week. As warned, if you ski BS you will hit rocks. Lone Peak and the attached ridges have dozens of 35 - 40+ degree chutes and faces, but the entire thing is literally a giant pile of sharp pointy rocks. The problem is that it is impossible to tell where the coverage is adequate, especially with the current snow pack, which is pretty good, but not great. 85" claimed base at top. I repeatedly hit rocks in places that looked like they should be alright. Took the rock skis, skied wherever I wanted and had a blast. I highly recommend the place for anyone who likes the steeps. Sustained pitches that rival Jackson or Crested Butted.

This ain't me, but it gives you a good idea of the steeps at BS.

https://www.tetongravity.com/video/sk...dwaters-ridge1

Best quote of the week from a local, "It's not a core shot if you can't see if from the top."
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 03-27-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    Gravity Junkie

Sounds about right.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Bridger

Bridger Bowl all the way!

Was at Big Sky on Friday for a Patrol Avalanche workshop.

Some snow in the base area, 1-4" and the guns were running. Much more snow up high. Before last week, not so much. It will be a limited opening on Thanksgiving unless the weather patterns change.

Yesterday at BB, a skiff to a trace in the base area, 1-2" and the guns are running when its cold. Talked with a couple of Groms who were skiing down to the base on what looked like white grass. They said the turns off of the top of PK were Rad.

This November has sure sucked. Lots of green lawns and sunshine. Wtf.
    No longer stuck.

This November has sure sucked. Lots of green lawns and sunshine. Wtf.
    You have no other hobbies?

I rode my bike 1 day.
    Haven't been looking forward to much other than a good ski season since ya know, the other thing.
    No longer stuck.

bridger

bridger hands down

Quote Originally Posted by mttobrn View Post
    bridger hands down
    Thread is 7 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Thread is 7 years old...
    But it gets bumped every 2-4 yrs...so it's due
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.