Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    bout 90 farenheit in Tamarindo Costa Rica today wish you were here I'll quaff an Imperial for ya tho
    Is 90 the temp or the number of gringos in the water?

60 degree day yesterday, with swell and light offshores. Water still around 40, but man was it a beautiful afternoon and evening.

Just remember to put the hood back up before catching a wave.

Oh, in terms of the wetsuit quiver discussion, I'm guilty:

6/5 Xcel, 6/5 RipCurl (need to sell the ripcurl, as it barely gets used)
    5/4 Xcel
    3/2 RipCurl
    2/1 BodyGlove shorty
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    60 degree day yesterday, with swell and light offshores. Water still around 40, but man was it a beautiful afternoon and evening.

Just remember to put the hood back up before catching a wave.

Oh, in terms of the wetsuit quiver discussion, I'm guilty:

6/5 Xcel, 6/5 RipCurl (need to sell the ripcurl, as it barely gets used)
    5/4 Xcel
    3/2 RipCurl
    2/1 BodyGlove shorty
    that's some rubber collection peter!

ya was torn whether stay home and surf yesterday, or head north for a perfect untracked corn day up high. chose the latter and had one of my best days in memory. doesn't get much better. threw some pics and vid on east coast roll call thread.

should be another perfect day up high tomorrow. you still skiing?

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    that's some rubber collection peter!

ya was torn whether stay home and surf yesterday, or head north for a perfect untracked corn day up high. chose the latter and had one of my best days in memory. doesn't get much better. threw some pics and vid on east coast roll call thread.

should be another perfect day up high tomorrow. you still skiing?

rog
    hey rog, yeah saw your tr - jealous, looked awesome....yup, still skiing - not much recently, but some nice resort days up in Saddleback, but been swamped with work and away until yesterday late pm, and just hopped in the water. Schedule has me screwed for tomorrow and friday too; was planning a trip up this w/e with a big group but crowds and/or weather might dictate otherwise.

Would be up for a tour soon though!

- Owl Chapman

any mon-wed, i'll be skiing thru june, weather willing. surf on work days till then. this coming monday looks promising and the smooth surfaces may stay that way due to limited to no softening this coming weekend. man i can't wait to get back on my blunt tho!

you know where to find me.

rog

Hi that all nce to hear

Hugh! chor buddy Whip! Spring break is over had the whole beach to myself this am. Headed down to Avellena this after noon. The solamente
    gringo I saw was your girlfriend! Got a pic of her here:

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    those waves look awesome

you bring your girlfriend the golden along?

You mean Luke (Iam his faaather) is chillin in CO

ya those turns look sweet. i had my last day on april 5 did a nice tour high in the lizard range of fernie b.c. back on nantucky now stuck in work camp. we have had some nice days 2 this week. and last sun was a nice warm day no wind and solid chest to head groundswell.

lets face it tho if you are a new england surfer you have lots of rubber, even here where we have the gulf stream and enjoy water temps higher than the cape and northern spots. i remember my first winter surfing with 5 mm boots and gloves. after that it was like "give me the thickest boots and f ing gloves you got. use to get out of the water and drive home with wetsuit on and take it off in the shower. then buddy got a box truck for work and he put a sofa in it and we had somewhere to change at the beach. so yeah i got a 6 mm, a 4 mm, a 3mm a shorty a vest couple tops. many boots and gloves. only trunk it here in aug and some guys never do which is kinda pussy when you see kids playing all day in the water and you got a wetsuit on... cmon. truth is tho i kinda like the rubber that little cushion is nice. after a trip to el salvador my chest was bruised and sore for a while from trunking it.
    any mags heading out to da island let me know we pick up a nice south swell.

^^^^HAHAHA!!

I was emptying out the folder for the swell this weekend and figured I should put something small together.

When the water was 38, it felt un-bearable.

It's 42.8 now, and feels sooooooo good.
    Skiing made me Board

Quote Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
    When the water was 38, it felt un-bearable.

It's 42.8 now, and feels sooooooo good.
    Totally agree. For me, I think part of it is mental - it's really not that cold until it hits 39...something about breaking the 40 degree mark does it for me.

Anyway, nice to have it on the rise!

- Owl Chapman

There is certainly a big mental block under 40 degrees. Putting your suit on in the front seat sucks ass.

The other part is air temperature. We're way up now. I couldn't even tell you what it's been, but pleasant.

I have some windsurfer friends that are on "The 100 degree rule"
    Where the water temp plus air temp has to equal 100 degrees. 40 degree water, plus 60 degree air, and they'll go out. It's a pretty damn good rule for comfort
    Skiing made me Board

A few clips from this past swell.

Quote Originally Posted by rdennhs View Post
    A few clips from this past swell.

i'm assuming he knew the dude on the sup?

nice vids.

Thanks SJ - didn't know the guy on the SUP (both are local guys, it was a fault on the SUP's part for not looking back and a semi-unreasonable push on the other guys part) Both surfers are great guys, in hindsight shortboarder should't have pushed him but it was in the heat of the moment. 95% of surfers agree that SUPing is a great activity for off-days but they really shouldn't be in the lineup when its 8ft and good.

^ ya, that is the part of surfing that sucks imo. too much bs in the water with some...a lot of people fighting for a small piece of real estate can turn ugly.

Great stuff, heading to san jose del cabo next friday for ten days. Surfing shipwreecks and nine palms
    WOuld love to get back east and surf in the cold swell.
    What kind of suit you wearing, 5 mill?

SJ - i feel the same way....still have my nooks like anyone else thats away from hollywood a.k.a. rye rocks.

I wear a 6-5-4 but most people wear 5-4, switch to 4-3 soon and then to a 3-2 for summer.

last few seasons I've gotten away with a 6-5 and then a 3-2, sad i know.

Water is warming up. 63 today. I'm wearing trunks and a vest tomorrow AM. Feeling summertime coming!

Crazy that guy nailed the SUP in the back. I would never do that unless it's was my bud. Drop in once, OK. Drop in twice.... maybe.

Thanks SJ - didn't know the guy on the SUP (both are local guys, it was a fault on the SUP's part for not looking back and a semi-unreasonable push on the other guys part) Both surfers are great guys, in hindsight shortboarder should't have pushed him but it was in the heat of the moment. 95% of surfers agree that SUPing is a great activity for off-days but they really shouldn't be in the lineup when its 8ft and good.
    Nice vids. Now I need to go check put the alpine-live thread. Did not know it was a maggot project.

8'? Looks more like 3-5', with a few 6 footers thrown in. Maybe, maybe an 8 footer, but not those rights. Unless you are measuring the one moment the wave jacks up on the peak of the left in the beginning. The wave the SUP was on looks more like 5-6.

Regardless, that dude who pushed off the SUP needs to mellow. Things are a bit more crowded here in SC, and that sort of behavior is not cool. I am pretty sure that you could file for assault in NH. Definitely could in RI. Just saying. Sure it may get crowded and people may pull douchey moves, but don't get physical unless you absolutely have to. And even if he did look back, he made it from real deep, so it may have been a judgement call, and sometimes people fuck up.

And who cares what 95% of the guys think one should be doing with their time. Do what you want to do, not the bros. As long as you don't get in the way. About a month ago, it was 10-12' at Middles, and really only the SUPs were able to see the peaks and get into position. A few of us were paddling in, but their advantage was obvious. I don't think they really took any waves from anyone; just were better at getting under the peak, and getting in early.

/rant.

Anyway - really nice videos. Is that first left Rye?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2908862225_be671f67b8.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	9647212345678
    Skiing made me Board

Fun, short period swell today, with warm weather. Water warming up too!

Happy Easter mags.

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    Fun, short period swell today, with warm weather. Water warming up too!

Happy Easter mags.
    agreed. snuck in 2 hours this morning before driving down to the cape for family festivities through some of the most epic shit traffic ever. surfed a normally very uncrowded spot. started out that way then got busier than i've ever ever seen it even in mid summer. gonna have to start surfing in the dark.

warm water fer sure. no need for the hood today. 4/3 no prob now.

maybe some desperate lil leftovers tomorrow.

happy easter!

rog