Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone groom their own dog?

That's my hairy little beast. He's my good buddy and he loves all things dirt and mud. The only issue is that he looks like cujo on a wet day in the park after getting all of that hair completely dowsed in mud.

We typically get him groomed once or twice a year depending on how bad he smells. I normally will throw him in front of the hose after a bike ride or trail romp. Other than that, he does pretty well.

Now that we're starting to get to that time in the year where the trails are becoming rideable again, I have begun contemplating getting his belly shaved and possibly doing a full body trim down.

I was wondering how many folks here actually groom their own dog. The wife and I were thinking about just picking up some clippers and doing it ourselves, and save $70 per haircut in the process. I know groomers do flea baths and apparently drain their anal glands (?). Other than that, am I missing something by not taking him to the groomer?

Thoughts/advice appreciated

Hugh Conway Guest
    yeah, I take him on walks and too the snow.

how often do you think aussie shepherds doing their job go to a groomer ? never any reason. i think you can manage a flea bath. however,i did buy a clipper at walmart for myself,and there was a better one in the pet section than the human section,and it did come with a dvd on grooming your dog......all for $40. would you spend $70 on a haircut for yourself?
    picador

I haven't personally, but my younger brother always trimmed our dog's hair (labradoodle), and his horse / others at the barn. Doesn't seem to hard. I know when the clippers get dull, they heat up a lot, so he has to get them sharpened maybe a couple times a year, but if you just have 1 dog that shouldn't be near as much of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

and

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Well it certainly does suck.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Pony up for some good clippers. Plan on spending about $100 for some good ones, you will be glad in the long run. Just doing a quick clip/hack job is easy, bathing is easy, if he runs a lot, nails don't need to be done, anal sacs on aussie don't need to be done very often/if at all. Don't use scissors, you will cut your dog sooner or later.

Buy $70 worth of beer and have at it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    yeah, I take him on walks and too the snow.
    That's sick

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Pony up for some good clippers. Plan on spending about $100 for some good ones, you will be glad in the long run. Just doing a quick clip/hack job is easy, bathing is easy, if he runs a lot, nails don't need to be done, anal sacs on aussie don't need to be done very often/if at all. Don't use scissors, you will cut your dog sooner or later.

Thanks doc

this part stuck out the most to me. I have a feeling Lev will be coming out of this half bald as well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

In the Greatest Nation on this Amazing Planet
    I currently don't have a dog but I always groom my Schnauzer!
    Quote Originally Posted by theshredder View Post
    i identify as a gay transexual

I used to do my dog (she was put down almost a year ago). She was a mutt- but collie type hair- really soft hair but shed pretty bad too. Clippers and scissors worked fine- depending on the time of the year and how thick her fur was. Only thing she would not like is her feet touched. Trimming the hair around her nails and pads was a bit of a fight - put her on her leash (and I never did her nails as she just went crazy if I tried). For her bath used to just stick her in the shower- she did not like water so ran and when she came out you had to have towels available for her to roll in- sounds like that is not an issue with your dog and not liking water though.

Pony up for some good clippers. Plan on spending about $100 for some good ones, you will be glad in the long run.

the $40 model at walmart was over $100 down the street for the same one
    picador

This thing looks pretty solid for $45 on Amazon. Also comes up first when you search: http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-9590-210-...9943645&sr=8-1

Wahl makes good clippers, but I prefer Oster A5s. I also would no get a rechargeable, since you are only going to use it once are twice a year (unless you shave your schnauzer).

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

i've been wondering the same thing (aussie owner too)

after wrestling with other dogs, he gets matted fur behind his ears and it wigs me out to try and cut it out myself cuz i don't want to hit skin

i sometimes cut his "skirt" (behind his back legs around his butt) with my beard trimmer (but it's not really up to the task)

i'll look at that A5, thanks

I have an Andis animal clipper but the Oster is good too (and they use the same blades). Cordless clippers are worthless. There's other stuff you need: metal comb, pin brush, dematting knife, pointy scissors made to cut hair, and a nail trimmer. I have no idea how you dog would get trimmed but inside & around the ears will help keep them clean and trim the paws to keep your floor cleaner is a start.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

You are going to cut your Aussie's fur?

Rugged...I will give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you have a Furminator and use it fairly regularly and that it is somehow insufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You are going to cut your Aussie's fur?

Rugged...I will give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you have a Furminator and use it fairly regularly and that it is somehow insufficient.
    Is a furminator like a

We do the regular vacuuming and sweeping of fur, like most dog owners I presume. My issue is that I live in PA where the dirt is thick and easily gets stuck on his under belly and arm hair. Would love to not have to worry about doing a full bath after every hike/ride. We've trimmed him down in the past and it has helped quite a bit. I'm just sick of dishing out the money for it, hence the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    There's other stuff you need:
    No he doesn't, he is not doing a show cut. Just a quality clipper and blade, with a plastic guard for the desired length hair and he is good to go. I suspect his dog his enough he never needs a nail trim.

iscariot

Don't use scissors, you will cut your dog sooner or later.
    Heh, my wife shortened our Aussies tail about a half inch one time Shitload of blood...

I take clippers to this little guy during the winter and mud seasons. he's got lots of feathers on his legs, neck and underbody that love to collect snow and dirt. he doesn't love it, but he stays WAY cleaner and is much easier to towel dry. probably clip him every 5-6 weeks. we just use old haircutting clippers...found 'em at a thrift store for cheap.

clip my dogs twice a year in the backyard, wahl clippers work fine for the amateur, oster for the pros.
    try and get your wife to do the job, tell her it's good practice, makes the job easier on you

Get a Vizsla and you'll never have to worry about it. Tennis ball and a pool/pond is all you'll ever need.

Except you'll have deal with a 60lbs. dog in your lap!

No he doesn't, he is not doing a show cut. Just a quality clipper and blade, with a plastic guard for the desired length hair and he is good to go. I suspect his dog his enough he never needs a nail trim.
    That's just the stuff I used for regular trimming/brushing/combing. There's way more crap to do a show trim.

Baby wipes are great for cleaning the ears too. It's important for a floppy eared dog.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.