Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 191 Lhasa Wow

So Aaron. How'd they do in the 22" at Stevens?

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    So Aaron. How'd they do in the 22" at Stevens?
    Really well in the areas where it wasn't totally windfucked. I don't think I saw a single skier or snowboarder ride smoothy down the backside making turns, just a lot of craters and tail gunning straightlines. Front side in wind protected steeper areas was fun. Problem was 4-6" collapsable wind crust with as much as 3-4' feet of softer snow underneath in spots.

Finally got on my 191 clear carbon fats and hot damn! I'll post a mini review here so I don't gum up the forums with a new post.

I'm 5'10 215, currently have a bum knee, 25 years skiing but never competed so I stayed a tech jong, I enjoy small airs but I'm grounded now with this knee.

Todays conditions, mix bag of everything except deep pow. I found dust on crust, nice velvet pow stash about 8" deep, chop, hard pack and even some mashed potatoes once the sun peaked through the clouds for an hour or so. I spent pretty much entire day on 22.

Dust on crust: did as good as possible with those conditions.

Pow stash: I found a small stash that was untouched and had about 8" on average and wow. These skis made turning so predictable yet fun as hell. Normal turns were effortless withe the ability to really lay into a turn by just juicing it just a little. The ski would rebound back into position ready for the next turn.

Hard pack: I had more problems with my knee than the ski in the dust on crust and hard pack. Visibility was off and on but the skis did very well, my knee not so much.

Groomed back to lift: performed very well. I layed into a few turns just to check it out and they can more than handle it.

Mashed potatoes: sick, almost spring conditions once the sun came out mid day for an hour or so. The dust on crust got real soft and turned to lumpy potato goodness. These things railed and excelled in these conditions

Crud: Point 'em and hold on, they wont fail you. I actually had good luck with my knee while going straight so I really got to straighten these things a few times on lower 22 where it gets all bumpy and chopped up. These were really stable and I did not have one moment where I thought they were at their limits.

Air: I can't add much here. I did let them leave the ground once or twice for tiny air around 3' just to give it a go, seem like they would stomp airs with ease. Just speculation but I'm pretty sure they will perform well.

GS turns: so I got a little ambitious and under estimated how much speed I would pickup on a lower mountain run out to the lift. I was carrying some good speed, visibility was low and my skis were pointing straight, got a ton more speed than I expected and I couldn't find a spot to dump some speed due to low viz and bad knee. I got into some GS turns and luckily no one around cause I was borderline in control. The skis ate it up. I then found myself approaching a cross trail that was almost a guaranteed air at the speed I was at but this wasn't an option for my knee so I tried to keep the skis on ground as long as possible. I could feel my tails trying to grasp the snow as I started to get some air under me, then sure enough these tails grab the first patch of snow again and are bringing me down for a landing without ever getting any real air, kinda hard to explain but basically these skis saved my ass on this run.

Recap, extremely versatile ski that does the work for you as long as you stay on top of them. I almost got in the back seat a few times but thanks to everyones reviews here I knew that was not an option and I got back on top of them before getting bucked off. I won't claim to have tried a bunch of skis out ther but I will say these are the most fun and versatile ski I've ridden.

Only 1 complaint: Splat, you should have made these in the late 80's and 90's so I could have enjoyed them growing up. To think all the runs I've spent on an inferior product, my eyes are now open

finally got the sit ski on my new 191 this weekend at whistler.....unreal! I skied it on everything from ice to soft and wet....

fantastic initiation even on hard pack, great pop and absolutely railed on the hard stuff. In the soft it lived up to the hype and then some. Even with the force of a sitski on it the lhasa kicked some serious arse!

This ski is now firmly planted as my free ski of choice. If you ski the ski (and not let it ski you)....it will run the mountain.

Oh and outside the realm of this thread I also gave the SuperBro a workout this weekend and I have to say it is an absolute rocket. Stiff and responsive and mindblowingly fast! Loved it....look for open space and let it run

now back to the hill ....thank you Pat for the great skis and fantastic service!
    I won't stand for anything...

Sitskib, I have a pair of Superbros which were mounted once with FKS bindings. I needed to pull the bindings for a newer pair of skis, and they have been sitting for a season. One has a very minor cracked edge, which is still in place. They have never had a grind, lots of base and edge left and they were skied only half a season. You can have them for shipping if you want. Send me a PM if interested

Quote Originally Posted by sitskib View Post
    finally got the sit ski on my new 191 this weekend at whistler.....unreal! I skied it on everything from ice to soft and wet....

fantastic initiation even on hard pack, great pop and absolutely railed on the hard stuff. In the soft it lived up to the hype and then some. Even with the force of a sitski on it the lhasa kicked some serious arse!

This ski is now firmly planted as my free ski of choice. If you ski the ski (and not let it ski you)....it will run the mountain.

Oh and outside the realm of this thread I also gave the SuperBro a workout this weekend and I have to say it is an absolute rocket. Stiff and responsive and mindblowingly fast! Loved it....look for open space and let it run

now back to the hill ....thank you Pat for the great skis and fantastic service!
    Dude, stoked am I to hear that you're on the 191 and running it through the paces!
    And you are so right about the 195. A friend who's on them said he was going so fast the other day when he hit some slow slush, he double ejected and believes he flew sixty feet through the air before hitting the snow.

FKNA, Brian and double FKNA Jethro!

Splat, I took the 191 clear topsheet Lhasas up to Canada last week for a week of touring out of the Battle Abbey hut in the Selkirks. They worked very well mounted with Dynafits. The guides were interested in them as well. They commented on how light they were for the size. I will try to get some photos to you.

Love to see the shots, Jethro. We're down to one pair of 191 Fats left. Just shipped out the next to the last pair. I think they are going to go over bigtime next season as more people ski them. Limited numbers this year, but nothing but raves.

Uhhhh - WOW.

Giddy - check,
    Ear to ear grin after first run - check,
    Wishing it was January so I could ski these more and not have to wait until next season - check!

Quick 1st run on my new 191s. Sloppy moist snow with old tree bombs at the bottom, and 2-3" of fresh cold snow over a firmish crust at the top. Dropped in, took a turn straight into an air, and then proceedeed to giggle like a little girl all the way down. I was even aiming for the chunks of tree bomb just to see how they would react. :O The didn't even seem to notice. Big turns, little turns, straightlines, small air... all good.

I was just telling Pat by email about how I don't usually like a pair of skis until I've skied a few days on them, but I am in love with these after one run. Obviously not a full test yet, but they totally rocked today's conditions.

That sounds familiar. Conditions yesterday east of the Cascade crest were similar, I was a happy boy. I've probably got @ 40 days on them now and have a hard time thinking about skiing my other skis.