Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 191 Lhasa Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    Jim, did you sell him the skis + clamps? That setup had me drooling, great price too.
    I bought just the skis and plugged the holes and mounted BD O1s for tele. I'm a decent skier but not nearly as good as most here. I really like the center mount that Pat suggested to me and I like the long, stiffish tail. I'm getting used to skiing really forward which in the past had me going over the bars in some deep snow. I haven't had that tele face plant feeling yet on these even in some deeper stiff snow, 12+" of windblown powder. Yesterday I dropped a cornice that I thought was about 2' in flat light but was more like 5' onto some punchy pow and it didn't take me by surprise really. Landing airs on these is like jumping off your kitchen chair onto the floor. I'm inspired to jump off stuff on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    The shop tune on mine was fine and that's what you have Aaron. They held great on hardpack and ice.
    The tune seems fine, just a little coarse on the base grind. There are a few ripples near the tips only noticeable when waxing. It doesn't affect performance at all. I'm very pleased with them and you gave me a great deal on them.

Good choice on picking those up, those were a smoking deal for a great looking ski. Your reviews are great, especially the ice breaking ability of the ski. That will come in handy at mammoth for the windpack. Thanks for sharing the good review!

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    Good choice on picking those up, those were a smoking deal for a great looking ski. Your reviews are great, especially the ice breaking ability of the ski. That will come in handy at mammoth for the windpack. Thanks for sharing the good review!
    They are very fun in wind buffed snow. You can rail big carved turns and then shut it down with slarving turns and stomp on them for a nice snappy rebound in hop turns. I'm finding that they are easy to pivot going slower too, you just have to stay forward.

Lhasa wows have landed at piggity pows house!!! Insanely light and the tip is a battleship ready to destroy. I'm contemplating which binding is worthy. Maybe STH16's?

I can envision everything you are saying aaron and it's exactly what I'm looking for in my everyday ski since upper mountain and lower usually offer up different conditions. These Lhasa's alongside a pair of reverse reverse and my quiver is straight for the time being

Wanted to also say many thanks to the seller but his inbox was full

I just wanted to chime in on this thread. Got a pair of 186 carbon's that I've been skiing for the last 1.5 years that I picked up from splat. Just gotta say this - all the best days I've had in that period have been on these skis - period. And some of these days rank as all time days for me. These are the most fun, most playful skis I've had the pleasure to try, they carve and slarve and are surprisingly quick. Anything short of hardpack-boilerplate they kill it. Light & stable, they make the turn I want rather than the turn other skis might require. Wind affected, crusty snow is eminently skiable with these boards.

I finally got my new clear topsheet 191 Lhasas in some soft snow (deep slushy corduroy). They rocked. I skinned up a local mountain and skied the freshly groomed downhill course in soft, smooth conditions. It was fun to angulate like a racer on boilerplate, but I was skiing Factors/Dynafits on a powderski! The only conditions I have not liked this ski is on icy hard pack,

Wonder why there are so many pair of Lhasas on Gearswap lately? Too demanding for some folks, or are owners are upgrading to longer lengths or carbon versions?

I would say this is a fun ski, and not very demanding. They make skiing fun. Demanding skis kick ass in really variable conditions. Usually they are stiff and heavy. The Lhasa is neither. I bought mine for powder and spring corn. For skiing steeps in icy conditions, I am searching for a replacement for my Ten-exs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I would say this is a fun ski, and not very demanding. They make skiing fun. Demanding skis kick ass in really variable conditions. Usually they are stiff and heavy. The Lhasa is neither. I bought mine for powder and spring corn. For skiing steeps in icy conditions, I am searching for a replacement for my Ten-exs.
    I wouldn't call them demanding either. They are fun and do kick ass in variable conditions for me. I would say the are stiff compared to a lot of skis this size and shape. They aren't Monster 103 stiff, but stiffer than a lot of "powder" boards.

Ok, I've fondled these for about 12hrs and I've envisioned lots of different conditions. The more I grope this ski, the more I am impressed. The lack of weight on the carbons is eye opening. I thought this ski would be my everyday and then my praxis for pow days. I might be leaving the praxis at home more often then I originally thought. This is all speculation but overall I'm really excited for my knee to heal so I can get these in some snow.

So much fun. Today was absolutely the best day I've had on the Lhasas and probably right up there for best day this season. Tearing around the mountain with what seemed like locals only, hucking cornices and wind drifts and rocks and logs. Staightlining, surfy turns, huge carved turns and short swing hop turns down chalky scraped off chutes. These skis rock.

Edit to add, On Wednesday I skinned about 2500' on the Lhasas and they feel light on the feet, not quite as light as my Manaslus, but I skied the same route on Tuesday with my Manaslus and the down is so much more fun. Boot center on the line makes snap kickturns automatic.
    Last edited by AaronWright; 03-17-2011 at 06:58 PM.

I finally got my Lhasas in some good pow today. We took my sled up Independence Pass (Colorado) and did a short three hour tour. The skis were awesome in about 8-10 inches of powder on the north aspects. My friend was on some skinny Salomon super mountains and was very jealous. He is shopping for fatter skis but I don't think Bros are on shop form.

My season is getting derailed and I have a perfect pair of skis to put to use, bit of a downer. Very rarely but every so often life forces things ahead of skiing on the priority list, but skiing always seems to resurface. I'll be on these bitches at some point soon but until then I'm glad you guys are digging them. All the reviews are exactly what I'm looking for in my everyday ski for mammoth.

My 191 is on its way....this thread is keeping me stoked and I haven't even laid hands on the ski yet....keep it comin
    I won't stand for anything...

Carbon's?

like a kid on christmas morning.....I just opened a box from PMGear with my SuperBRO and 191 in it!!!!
    I won't stand for anything...

There are not demanding at all.

I sold mine because I preferred my older 196 fiberglass Lhasas. I prefer their damper ride and more forgiving nature. It's amazing how forgiving that ski is in crud and small bumps. The 191 carbon is a great ski but I don't know....it was just an impulsive purchase and impulsive sell.

I guess it's my time of the month...... more than once month.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

I'd love to see pics of those 191's and 196's side by side, especially a side profile.

So I put a nice hand tune on the edges, 1 bottom and 2 side, and I left the base as is for now. The snow is getting wetter and the coarse grind seems appropriate. With the tune, the Lhasas rail on hard, refrozen cords. Very good edge hold on a day when every one was complaining about the "ice". I also took a mill file to the edges and tips on top and bottom, I put a a nice radius on the topsheet, edges and aluminum tip protector, and they seem less catchy in new snow and deeper corn. I've got about 30 days on them now and I've skied nothing else since I got them. I automatically grab them when heading out in the morning, my other skis a neglected.

I just dropped my 191 clear top Lhasas off at a shop that only does tunes. Between the factory tune and the shitty tune my friends did in a local ski shop, my skis needed some work. I am also going with a 2 degree side and 1 degree base bevel. Good idea with the topsheet radius. My skis are developing some stringy filaments along the topsheet edge.

I have to say the clear topsheet and highlighted carbon layer really get some comments.

So, what do people say, Jethro?
    Just curious...

When sunlight hits the carbon, it kind of shimmers. Until then they appear glossy black. The carbon weave is very appealing and different looking in the ski world. I am not sure I can think of another ski with the cool looking carbon top. I've had a couple of "cool skis, what are those?" Even in a ski town, it is amazing how many people do not know of Bros, and this ski is even rarer. I leave Friday for a week of touring out of the Battle Abbey hut in BC, and these skis are going to be awesome. They are mounted with FT12s.

I think I finally have things to the point where I can log some days again. Knee is on the mend but I'm good if I can tone it back some and have no pre-releases like in February. Maybe this weekend or next depending on snow conditions. Dust on Crust will be the worst welcome back so I might pick and choose my return to old man gaping action. I'm amped either way!