Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Looking for tat material?

Careful, you might end up like (some stuff I don't feel like Googling for right now).

And that's gotta suck.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    I bet none of you morons can speak Gibberish.

Ithagi bithaget nithagone ithagov yithagou mithagorithorons "K"ithagan spithageak "J"ithagerberithagish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberish

In this case, the code "word" is ithang

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz
    Las Nieves = the snows (spanish)

Powdero is the spanglish

Me thinks that powder is pulver in Norwegian. However, you had better check with Telepath on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDineen
    I'm more interested in the symbols, though I'm sure there's no way to type them.

Any thoughts on that? I tried the editor of Powder Japan, and he sent me back a completely unrelated e-mail. A little lost in translation.
    白茫茫  bai mangmang (pronounced bye mongmong) Meaning vast field of whiteness, a more poetic way of saying it.
    飞雪  feixue (pronounced fey shway) Meaning flying snow. Like as in face shots...mmmmmm.
    软雪  Ruan xue (pronounced roo-on shway) Meaning soft snow. The usual way that you hear it spoken when talking of snow in China.

Okay, these characters show up on the thread when I'm using my computer, but mine is programmed for Chinese so please let me know if this doesn't work on other machines. If not, I'll try to get a PDF or something.

And on a side note, I'd advise against getting this tattooed somewhere - wait until the industry is more developed over there and they come up with a sweeter, very Chinese, way to say it.
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberish

In this case, the code "word" is ithang
    Very close. It's actually "ithaga" or "ithag" if it's followed by a vowel. Words starting with a vowel start with "ithag' and go from there.

Sithagee
    Ithagits
    Ithageasy,
    Rithagight?

My daughter taught me this when she was in third grade, the rules may not hold up to scrutiny.

Scrithagutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyOwl
    Guys i used to ski with in France called the nice creamy stuff "la poudreuse"
    Yes.
    10 characters.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Puuteri or Puuterilumi (literally = powder snow) in Finnish

While in Chile the locals kept yelling Polvo! during a snow storm...so I guess that's the right Spanish term...

yeah in french "poudre" is powder - but as in soap suds, powder milk, stuff like that.

for snow is more commonly "la neige poudresse" or powder snow, if you are grammatically correct, but there are more local terms for it, depending on where you are. unfortunately non come to mind right now!
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

japanese:

powder=bukkake

yyyyyyyyyou like warm sake?

veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrry goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Quote Originally Posted by yentna
    白茫茫  bai mangmang (pronounced bye mongmong) Meaning vast field of whiteness, a more poetic way of saying it.
    飞雪  feixue (pronounced fey shway) Meaning flying snow. Like as in face shots...mmmmmm.
    软雪  Ruan xue (pronounced roo-on shway) Meaning soft snow. The usual way that you hear it spoken when talking of snow in China.

Okay, these characters show up on the thread when I'm using my computer, but mine is programmed for Chinese so please let me know if this doesn't work on other machines. If not, I'll try to get a PDF or something.

And on a side note, I'd advise against getting this tattooed somewhere - wait until the industry is more developed over there and they come up with a sweeter, very Chinese, way to say it.
    Yes, these sympbols showed up. Thanks!

No tats. The Calvin playing soccer on my ass that appeared one drunked night when I was 18 will continue his lonely existence as my sole tatoo for now.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    If I can find my SKIING mag from about 2 months ago with the article on Niseko (or if that's online yet... I haven't checked), I'll find the caption of "Great deep snow!" translated. Let me get back to you...
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    fukai yuki saiko = great deep powder, Japanese

SKIING mag isn't TOTALLY worthless after all.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

DT,

Speaking about Powder Japan, who do I need to talk to to see about getting some more of those issues for my collection???
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

In Spanish (or at least as they say in AR) . . .

polvo - powder (or dust); direct translation, but used
    nieve honda - deep snow; used in the context of a powder day

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito
    Go with the owl for the french. Anything as beautiful as powder would have to be feminine, hence "poudreuse" as opposed to "poudre."

SaAaH (and not really that french),
    d.
    That and it's describing the feminine snow

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    polvere (literally "dust") is used in italy. Also neve ascuitto or neve secca for dry snow. Origin of the word "pulverize".
    I lived and skied in Italy for 27 years and I NEVER heard anyone say 'polvere'.
    'neve fresca' is more likely, and dry snow is spelled 'neve asciutta'.

In Italian 'polvere' means dust, and to use that word for snow would be called a 'calco semantico': that is a literal translation
    that completely loses the intended meaning in the destination language.

what about

C-C-C-C-C-CO-CAINE!

(clicky linky )

Quote Originally Posted by Alek
    I lived and skied in Italy for 27 years and I NEVER heard anyone say 'polvere'.
    'neve fresca' is more likely, and dry snow is spelled 'neve asciutta'.

In Italian 'polvere' means dust, and to use that word for snow would be called a 'calco semantico': that is a literal translation
    that completely loses the intended meaning in the destination language.
    yeah, exactly. Alek is right.
    someone (not so many, actually) now says polvere, but this is because they literally translate powder after knowing the powder magazine, certainly not because of this word being used to mean snow.
    I am on the two italian freeride/AT forums (actually... also splat is in the one named skiforum ) and powder (untranslated) is the word of choice. After all, english is now what latin has been for many centuries in the past... the official language of the empire .
    One of the most famous italian "maggot-style" character in the planetmountain forum, for instance, is Doctor Powder, who always ends his posts (in strict italian slang) with VIENIPOOOOOOOOOWDEEEERRR (COMEPOWDERCOME.......)

Quote Originally Posted by yentna

Cool! Until the Chinese come up with their official word. 白茫茫 is helping decorate my office in 250 point.

Powder in japanese is

kona Yuki

kona = powder a substance
    Yuki = Snow

I hope this kanji shows up
    粉 = kona
    雪 = yuki

粉雪 =kona yuki

In Canada it is called "powder". Unless you are French Canadian, but that has already been discussed.
    Put on your seat belt, I saw this in a cartoon once.

Bump.

粉雪 for everyone next winter!!!

Guess I'm a year late but...

Just checked with the in-laws, and in Polish it's puch, pronounced "poohh" (with an h sound at the end). So in Polish-Gibberish I guess it would be pithaguch, which has nothing to do with Solidarity that I'm aware of.

Hey, thurtakinurjobs!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy