Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up T-9 Days. What's gonna be on your table?

Okay - we did the turkey thing with Thanksgiving and now Christmas/New Years is upon us. What's it going be?

We're opting for something completely different this year - we're having Leg O'Lamb.

http://www.epicurious.com/images/rec...tos/106267.jpg

ROAST LEG OF LAMB ON A BED OF POTATOES AND WILTED GREENS

Active time: 45 min Start to finish: 2 3/4 hr

1 (6- to 8-lb) leg of lamb, aitchbone removed by butcher and leg left untied
    3 large garlic cloves, 2 thinly sliced and 1 minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    4 lb yellow-fleshed potatoes
    7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 1/4 lb mixed tender greens (16 cups) such as arugula, mizuna, kale, or dandelion, tough stems or ribs removed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Trim all fat and silver skin from lamb. Cut small slits all over lamb with a sharp knife and put a slice of garlic and a pinch of thyme and rosemary into each slit.
    Peel potatoes and thinly slice about 1/16 inch thick with a mandoline or other manual slicer, then toss with 4 tablespoons oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Spread potatoes evenly in a 17- by 12- by 2-inch casserole or roasting pan. Put lamb on top of potatoes, then rub with honey and sprinkle with remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Roast lamb in middle of oven 1 hour, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb (do not touch bone) registers 135°F for medium-rare, 30 to 45 minutes more. Let lamb stand, covered loosely with foil, 15 minutes.

While lamb stands, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté minced garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add a handful of greens and sauté, tossing with tongs, then add more greens as preceding ones wilt and sauté until all greens are wilted and tender, 5 to 6 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer lamb to a cutting board and carve, then serve with potatoes and greens.

Makes 8 servings.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Theres only one choice in the Sonoma County wine country where I grew up and where the rest of my family is: fresh home made Choppino loaded with Dungeness Crab and some crusty French Bread. Total traditional Xmas meal there as its the height of Crab season. My mom and I drive out to Bodega bay and buy the crabs right from the boat. Yummm.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I thought the recipe looked pretty good except for the part where it said "Do not touch bone." What are you supposed to do while you're waiting for the lamb to cook?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

KQ - Got your PM. But you'll have to lift your skirt. There's no room to reply.

Mmmmmm...that sounds soooo good. The honey should be interesting.

Our family was raised on barbequed butterflied leg of leb. And putting garlic into slits in the leg is the only way to do it. It infuses the meat with such great flavor.

I'm jealous.

As for us, I have no idea yet. I just know it will be good.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I'm bummed. My freezer died a couple weeks ago and I lost my homegrown turkey. The only other thing in that freezer was apple juice, home pressed and frozen in 2L popbottles. I managed to cram it allinto one of my other freezers then last Saturday my wife noticed that another one of our other freezers was dead. I made a few phone calls and found a the biggest freezer in the West Kootenays, borrowed my dad's truck (my starter was in the basement) drove to Nelson & threw down my CC. So now we have 3 freezers all with alarms on them.

What is for dinner? I'm thinking elk roast, a close realative of Rudolph.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

BBQ Leg of Lamb....My Recipe

1. Have butcher butterfly leg (or do yourself). Reserve bone.

2. Mix together: red wine; olive oil (pref. EVO); chopped fresh rosemary; kosher salt; fresh ground black pepper; garlic powder/granulated.

3. remove as much fat and silver skin as you can from the lamb...reserve.

4. Leaving lamb untied, marinate in mixture, 4 hrs. to overnite.

5. build big ass fire in bbq.

6. tie/truss leg to roast shape.

7. when coals are ready and very hot, move to each side of bbq. to cook using indirect heat.

8. sear llamb on all sides over coals, then place in middle of grate, off the coals. Cover (works great w/ a weber) and cook to0 desired doneness. Those electronic thermomteers that you leave in the maet and have a wire running outside work great. If you want, soak some rosemary sprigs for 20 min or so and place on fire during cooking.

9. when lamb is done, remove from heat and let stand 20 min; loosely tent w/ foil.

10. while lamb is sitting, scrape all meat from bone and give meat, reserved fat, skin and bone to dog.

Eat heartily. I recommend (following several martinis, of course) a good hearty zin for the lamb. Any of the vineyard specific wines from Rosenblum or Cline will kick ass. Or a Barbera from the foothills, Boeger is good. You could also go syrah.

Touch bone as often as you can.

NOTE: I recommend against cutting slits in meat for garlic, as juices will drip out. You can also stuff the butterflied leg w/ all sorts of things before tying; use your imagination. Also, when making marinade, dissolve salt and garic powder in the wine before you add the oil.
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 12-16-2004 at 01:47 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    KQ - Got your PM. But you'll have to lift your skirt. There's no room to reply.

Consider yourself flashed!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

We have pizza for Christmas Eve and crown roast of pork for Christmas dinner.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Since this is a thread about food, I have a question. There was some cheesy stuff, I think kind of a cheese and wine and other stuff baked together, not fondue, that they eat in France. I remember Tom cooked it and said it was great.

I know that's a horrible description but can anyone remember what this stuff is called? I even put a reminder in the board calendar to make it but something happened and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Since this is a thread about food, I have a question. There was some cheesy stuff, I think kind of a cheese and wine and other stuff baked together, not fondue, that they eat in France. I remember Tom cooked it and said it was great.

I know that's a horrible description but can anyone remember what this stuff is called? I even put a reminder in the board calendar to make it but something happened and it didn't work.
    Its called smegma.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    Its called smegma.
    No, I don't think that's it...but thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    NOTE: I recommend against cutting slits in meat for garlic, as juices will drip out. You can also stuff the butterflied leg w/ all sorts of things before tying; use your imagination. Also, when making marinade, dissolve salt and garic powder in the wine before you add the oil.
    Actually, it works really well. Us stupid Croatians have been doing it for years and we make some of the best lamb around.

Here's my guess to how it words. Wouldn't the slits will seal up rather quickly since they're essentially exposed to the heat. Remember, you're cutting it before it hits the fire, not after. So it seems it would be no different from the outside surface which gets heat first and seals in the heavy juices. The advantage too is you're placing the garlic inside where it can penetrate more of the meat.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Hmm...

You're not thinking of Cassoulet are you? No cheese, though.

Beyond fondue, I can't think of many other french dishes with cheese that are baked. In my experience, hot cheese in french food is pretty uncommon.

Lego,

that sounds good.

my parents are having fajitas catered. it used to be the traditional Christmas ham, pie and eggnog. i'd trade lego's for that, but you can get fajitas on every street corner these days. lucky for them its Christmas.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by optics
    Hmm...

You're not thinking of Cassoulet are you? No cheese, though.

Beyond fondue, I can't think of many other french dishes with cheese that are baked. In my experience, hot cheese in french food is pretty uncommon.
    No, that wasn't it, I think it started with a "T". Shit, I'll PM Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ
    Consider yourself flashed!

So jealous...

Thumbs up

Truth's on a roll with his FTV girls and exuendo.

ah-HAH! I found it. Tartiflette. Now to look for a recipe...

I've done lamb for Christmas before - which I think is my favorite. Mr.AG likes turkey though so I alternate. This year is turkey. Which is always good too...
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

My mouth is watering just thinking about it:
    http://tulsatvmemories.com/imag1999/tvdinner.jpg

ah-HAH! I found it. Tartiflette. Now to look for a recipe...
    Go over to skipass.com in France, ice. their motto is " In tartiflette we trust."

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Go over to skipass.com in France, ice. their motto is " In tartiflette we trust."
    Now I just have to figure out where to get a Reblochon cheese. I don't think I'm going to find it at Safeway...

Substitutes: Pont-l'Evêque OR Brie OR Beaumont OR Esrom OR Beaufort OR tomme (nuttier taste) OR raclette OR Port Salut OR fontina