Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cnd. Rockies Dec 17-19 roll call

Who's up for some turns Friday, Sat or Sun?

Kicking Horse opening day tomorrow, but they are recommending that people download from the Catamount chair to get back to the base. That doesn't sound too tempting.

Castle opening day is delayed since there is very little snow at the base. And Fernie sounds reeeeeal good.

Anyone? Somewhere?

If I don't end up working this weekend, I'm up for either SSV or the Lake. Doesn't look like fresh is in the cards, so it matters not to me.

I'll be up in the hills on Sunday but I'm going with the UofC Avy course instructor to get some learning done.

Anyone taken a course through the Uof C before? What kind of day can I excpect for the field learning? I'm excited to get out there and soak up as much info as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpahigh
    I'll be up in the hills on Sunday but I'm going with the UofC Avy course instructor to get some learning done.

Anyone taken a course through the Uof C before? What kind of day can I excpect for the field learning? I'm excited to get out there and soak up as much info as I can.
    Took the advanced rec two years ago and it was good. Taking the basic rec? Do you know who the instructor is. I had both Albi and JAmes, I think it was james or Jamie.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW
    Took the advanced rec two years ago and it was good. Taking the basic rec? Do you know who the instructor is. I had both Albi and JAmes, I think it was james or Jamie.
    Ya, it's the intro course. Looking through some more info it looks like Albi will be the instructor. At least that's the contact name they have on the site.

I'm thinking of heading to Fernie this weekend.
    Smoke'em If You Got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunn
    I'm thinking of heading to Fernie this weekend.
    Any word on conditions? The writeup on far.redtree sounded a little cryptic, almost like he was trying to convince himself that conditions were decent.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder
    Any word on conditions? The writeup on far.redtree sounded a little cryptic, almost like he was trying to convince himself that conditions were decent.
    For anyone who doesn't know about Craig's Report

http://far.redtree.com/cgi-bin/far/index.py

At best it sounds like it's not terrible. But if anyone dares go to Fernie, give us an update and comparison to the snow at SSV and LL.

Doug, are you at SSV this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo
    Doug, are you at SSV this weekend?
    Will be there on Sat at least maybe Sun.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

merlyn and I will be at SSV on Saterday and SUn too?

L7 is at panorama with Atomic

Thinking of the Smith-Dorrien or Fortress. I think I saw some of you guys up at Sunshine last Saturday. Waiting in line behind me on Standish before they opened the chair. I figure it had to be you guys, I saw spatulas.

Someone over at Biglines posted that there is now a chain at the bottom of the Fortress road, on the bridge. I don't know if that is true or just a rumour.

Yeah, I would agree with you that the conditions at Fernie are sounding a little sketchy. I'm now thinking that LL and SSV might be a better choice for this weekend. Some of my non-maggot friends are planning on driving to Calgary tonight. I'm not sure what the plan of attach is for skiing just yet.
    Smoke'em If You Got'em

If no work and I get out it'll probably be LL, got a couple non-maggots with rcr passes coming along.

I was at LL on Wednesday. We went all over the hill so as to check out how things are doing.

Front side (if you care) has good coverage on all the open runs, it's not even too icy.

Eagle trees are still pretty closed in, I ducked into them and thought I had missed my normal line as it was a lot tighter than usual.
    Eagle Flight was pretty good, still a lot of rocks exposed around the side, but the main run was fine.

Larch, only did one run over the side and it was still pretty treed.

Paradise Bowl was very nice. Not very many rocks left except in the usual spots.

Backside of Summit. Boomerang was good, filled in nicely, but the traverse boot/pack is in th wrong place and doesn't get up to the top of the cornice.

North Cornice needs a bunch more snow along the top. We had to take the skiis off in one section and my friend ripped a good gouge out of his ski in another. But once you dropped in it was pretty good. Still some rocks poking thru where it marrows between the cliffs.

Attached see a pic of the top gondy station. It is basically coming right up to Ptarmigan.
    Last edited by eldereldo; 11-11-2005 at 06:19 PM.

If no work and I get out it'll probably be LL, got a couple non-maggots with rcr passes coming along.
    I'd be interested in Louise if anyone else was going there. When will you decide if you can ski, or have to work? And what day were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo
    I'd be interested in Louise if anyone else was going there. When will you decide if you can ski, or have to work? And what day were you thinking?
    Thinking both days, I have to get some time in to prepare for next week. I won't know about work until later this afternoon. I'll send you a PM as soon as I know what's up.

check out Larch trees if you are at the Lake. they were deep yesterday! I'll be up there tomorrow coaching, so don't be too surprised if you come across a group or 8-10 ripping your line. We use to try and keep the kids out of our good lines, but now we just have to fight to keep up.

both hills are pretty tracked up, but it's been so warm that the conditions are still soft.

Unhappy

I'll be at SSV working but not skiing for the next 3 weeks while the ligament in my ankle (hopefully) heals To add insult to injury it is apparantly typically a snowboarding injury!

I think the Bow Valley is the bad luck valley for me.
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunn
    Yeah, I would agree with you that the conditions at Fernie are sounding a little sketchy. I'm now thinking that LL and SSV might be a better choice for this weekend. Some of my non-maggot friends are planning on driving to Calgary tonight. I'm not sure what the plan of attach is for skiing just yet.

Yeah things are pretty sketch here the rain really threw a fuck into fairly decent early season conditions last friday
    I think the Lake is probably a better choice this weekend.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels

Quote Originally Posted by Mex
    Thinking of the Smith-Dorrien or Fortress. I think I saw some of you guys up at Sunshine last Saturday. Waiting in line behind me on Standish before they opened the chair. I figure it had to be you guys, I saw spatulas.
    Spats, ya that was me.

Shit, mntlion - you're ALREADY back from skiing?
    How was the Lake?

Will see you tonight. Backcountry tomorrow, unless I can talk the redhead out of it (I reckon conditions are going to suck ...) SSV on Sunday.

Give me a call at work this afternoon, if you get a chance.

Don't know where your going BC, but there was evidence of slides pretty much on all aspects around LL when we were there on Wednesday, and on some pretty low angle stuff in places. Hell it even slid pretty much next to the summit poma. Avalanche hazard is still up there and the warnings are still on for easy triggering by human action. Hell the only reason we were at LL was because we decided that anything BC that was steep enough to ski was going to be way to risky.

elder eldo
    Last edited by eldereldo; 12-17-2004 at 04:28 PM.

elder e -

Thanks for the info - there's a good chance we'll be riding the lifts at SSV tomorrow instead. I just have to see what the gf thinks ...

Cheers.

The word on Fernie.

Its pretty sketchy at the bottom but the upper bowls are pretty decend for crusing. Off piste is really sketchy due to a major rain crust. Early this morning when I was skiing to work( in the dark), I could see sparks from skis of the guys ahead of me, so bring rockers to if you come to Fernie.
    "A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."