Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Blizzard Bodacious 196 Review

A ski comes along once and a while that i fall in love with. The Rossi B squad in a 194,the Kaslte MX 98 in a 194 and now the Blizzard Bodacious.

We have a big Blizzard following over here at Hamilton Sports in Aspen. Years ago, John Stahler sold Tecnica/Volkl and the two split. Tecnica would be disributed by Blizzard (feel free to add to this, i dont remember the exact time frame or specifics of the sale). So Blizzard had very limited distribution (if any at all ) in the US in the last 90's early 2000's
    The first round of new Blizzards were kind of heinous. I skied on the Kreitler signature ski and it was heavy, dull and lethargic/

This new ski is the polar opposite. The Boadacious is a 196, and 118 under foot. The ski is large and very stable. The "flipcore" technology is what makes this ski nimble and quick.
    I have skied it on two occasions. Once on the back of Aspen Mtn and the second was at WPG, both were great powder days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bodacious2.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	94438
    The author on the back of Aspen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bodacious1.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	94439
    The skis speak for themselves

Just so you can guage this review, i love long skis that have a traditional laminate construction. I am currently skiing the Kastle fx 98 in a 194 as my everyday ski. This ski rocks. I have been skiing it for three years. I just got another pair from Hugo through the board. My powder ski is the atomic atlas in a 194. I really love this ski as well.
    The Bodacious is stiffer and quicker than the atlas. The extra 4 cm also makes the ski super stable at speed. The Blizzard is the largest ski i have been on in length. but skis really short. The early rise combined with the flip core allows the Bodacious to easlily ebbs and flows through the trees and tight spots. Where the atlas sometimes slows down as it plows through deep snow, the Bodacious is fairly rigid up front and maintains it speed, allowing the rider to put the throttle down.

Anyway, thought i would write this up since i have not seen any review on this ski. Hamilton has these for demo, so if you are in town it is worth the demo price.

Camber? How is it on stomping stuff?

0 rise up front, flat tail.
    I am sure it stomps great, i am a little old to airing off shit

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNebraski View Post
    Camber? How is it on stomping stuff?
    Long early rise tip, slight rise in the tail, flat under foot

Like you have landing gears on......

I skied Tatsuno's Cochise the other day with the "flip core" technology.... 184 and some rocker... still a very stable ski.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I demoed them briefly last week. I can see that they have their place, but the steep trees I had available isn't one of them. When I could get them up to speed and made large radius turns I could begin to feel their potential, and I'd love to try them hauling ass in open terrain. Stiff, heavy, and damp, something like an easier turning modern version of the 215cm SG skis we used to think were the shit back in the day.

I demo'd the 196 for a few laps last weekend and thought they were awesome. Not as bomber as my 198 RC 112s, but definitely stable enough and seemed easy to maneuver for their size. They were a super fun ski. Also held well on the groomers. I heard good things about the Cochise as well but didn't try them. Conditions were fairly soft / not fresh powder though.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I demoed them briefly last week. I can see that they have their place, but the steep trees I had available isn't one of them. When I could get them up to speed and made large radius turns I could begin to feel their potential, and I'd love to try them hauling ass in open terrain. Stiff, heavy, and damp, something like an easier turning modern version of the 215cm SG skis we used to think were the shit back in the day.
    Heavy and damp compared to what??? A Fischer Watea?? Blizzi is building these skis with light way cores and 2.5 sheets of metal, yet they still weigh in far less then 90% of skis within this category.

This new line of Blizzi's with the flip core tech could possibly be some of the best skiing fat freeride skis I have ever skied. They are versatile, light weight, and stable at all speeds that I have been able to reach. The most appealing thing about this tech is the fact that you are easily able to rail turns and then shut it down without the ski groaning at you.

^^^Compared to my Atmoc Atlas in a 912, the blizzard weighs a ton

I skied the Cochise which I have been told is a narrower softer version of this, and it was very stable and fun on hard pack, mank and boot top powder.

Anyone ski the Bonafide? I did a google search and found a lot of info over on epic but curious to hear if anyone over here has taken them out. I am thinking the 187 would be a sick east coast daily driver based on the dims.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Anyone ski the Bonafide? I did a google search and found a lot of info over on epic but curious to hear if anyone over here has taken them out. I am thinking the 187 would be a sick east coast daily driver based on the dims.
    Yep, I have and love it. I agree it would be a great E/C daily driver. It does have a bit of camber underfoot and it's stiffness and flex, it will rock back east. I don't see these replacing my MX88's but they will be a good addition. I am not that big of a guy and I just got my 180's and will bring them east when I come to Stowe next year, I think they will rip. My girlfriend has the Black Pearls (88 underfoot) and they just replaced her Kastle FX84's as her daily driver.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I bought a 185 Cochise and skied it a few days in Upper Michigan, and 3 days in Jackson Hole. Coming from a 187 Titan Argos, the Cochise felt much lighter and easier to initiate a turn. The Argos in comparison was heavy and sluggish. Based on how easy the Cochise is to ski, I gave it to my wife and ordered a 186 Bodacious. It's supposed to be here this week.... Can't wait.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

I couldnt find a speed limit at speed at stowe in crud on the 180cm Bonafide or the 180cm Bushwackers that are mine. with that said Id still might get the 187 so that when out west I have bigger more traditional skis than my Katana to ski on hard pack out there.

so far I have skied a run or 2 on everything in the line up and all I can say is I want them all!

skied the 185 cochise at Alpine in broken, loved it. Just skied the 187 Bonafide; super stable and quick.
    Be more like your dog...

^^^ Thanks all, for the comments on the Bonafide above. I am almost definitely going to give the 187 a run next year.

Can anyone comment on how the new line of Blizzards run from a length standpoint? Being a taller guy the the 180 is pretty much out of the question, I think. I am curious if both the tip and tail rocker/rise make them ski short throughout the line?
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Can anyone comment on how the new line of Blizzards run from a length standpoint? Being a taller guy the the 180 is pretty much out of the question, I think. I am curious if both the tip and tail rocker/rise make them ski short throughout the line?
    I can only comment on the 185 Cochise so far. Coming from a 187 Argos, I expected it to feel much shorter with the rocker. It WAS much more maneuverable and easier to turn at slow speeds, but I was not disappointed in the high speed stability and confidence at all.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    I can only comment on the 185 Cochise so far. Coming from a 187 Argos, I expected it to feel much shorter with the rocker. It WAS much more maneuverable and easier to turn at slow speeds, but I was not disappointed in the high speed stability and confidence at all.
    Yooper, I saw your post on epic on the Cochise. Sounds like you are a fan for sure.

Another question for you, how is the hard snow performance on these? This whole flip core thing sounds great for soft snow but I am curious if the skis are still snappy and hold an edge?

Another question for you, how is the hard snow performance on these? This whole flip core thing sounds great for soft snow but I am curious if the skis are still snappy and hold an edge?
    Remarkably good, actually.... Better than my Argos were, which had flat camber.

I have 2 widths of ski.... 67, and 100+. The 67's are race stock GS skis. Of course they don't have that kind of performance, but when I switch over.... even in Michigan, I don't mind.

On western, chalky hardpack they are really good. My Argos used to rail pretty well, but when I needed to shut it down a little and skid some to keep the speed down, they would chatter and skip. The Cochise will lock into a carve, but then easily and smoothly smear when you need them to.
    - Phunk

^^^ Thanks all, for the comments on the Bonafide above. I am almost definitely going to give the 187 a run next year.

They ski shorter when you want to pivot/smear/shut them down but I think they ski true to length in everything else. I'm 6'2" 210 and couldn't overpower the 180
    Bonafide but just wanted a little more length for more float. Same with the 185 Cochise, couldn't overpower it but the 193 would just let me go faster and provided
    more stability in crud.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    ^^^Compared to my Atmoc Atlas in a 912, the blizzard weighs a ton
    Are you getting rid of them?
    Lucky Thirteen!

I got to ski on the 196 Bodacious today. It was a handful until I got enough balls to say fuck it, and just started skiing fast. It is probably longer then I would want as an everyday ski in the PNW, but if there was 6 in of new, I felt like I could do anything on that ski.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    They ski shorter when you want to pivot/smear/shut them down but I think they ski true to length in everything else.
    Same with the 185 Cochise, couldn't overpower it but the 193 would just let me go faster and provided
    more stability in crud.
    Man, that's a great way to put it... That's basically what I was trying to say.

BTW, I skied my new Bodacious today (in Michigan)... I'm happy with the choice over the 185 Cochise, although the Cochise is more versatile and works much better at slower speeds. The Bodacious works well when it is going fast. Lucky for me, I like to ski fairly fast most of the time.
    - Phunk

Skied the 196 on pist today. Unreal how fast this ski is, lightening fast.
    It is actually managable in the bumbs/frozen ocean. I have some silver p18s on them and they look marvelous.
    Really am psyched to get on these this spring at highlands.

Got to try these out today. Nice ski, sorta halfway between the RC112 and the Atlas. Doesn't have the tip fold, insta-hook/brake, highside issues the Atlas can have because of it's softness and is more turnable (it has more float and more sidecut) than the RC112.

When I asked Skiddy what he'd take to AK; the Bodacious or the Atlas, he said both and I can see where he's coming from. In ultra low-density I'll take the float of the Atlas but in variable and when there's a firmer base, the Bodacious is more versatile/predictable.

And I sure like those p18's. I'm sticking with my Slam-on's for the ease of use both in an every day sense and on tight LZ's, but there's no way they'll ever connect me to a ski as well as the Look.
    Lucky Thirteen!