Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    heard is snowwed 16 inches in town? unreal?
    i am sidelined for the rest of the trip, got hit my my own thruster fin, cut wsa super deep, got half my soliues, all the fat was haning out in the lineup. Pretty banked up. The surf was huge the last two day but is now blown out with heavy winds.
    dropped into some of teh biggest waves of my life here, they called it 7-9 foot with a couple of huge sets from teh outside

Sorry to hear about that, fins are dangerous. Hopefully you'll still enjoy your vacance.

Yeah yesterday was pretty fun, never seen more snowmachines out on the ridge. We hit 5 Little Annie faces right off the bat, so was able to take the 196's up to speed to really check 'em out. Jesse was out there with me and saw Andre out on the Goliath's having fun.

Coincidentally I ended the day having some fat sewn back in as well after a midday tree kiss. Just facial fat so no big deal, except I look like Brando on my left profile right now.

I weighed those skis; 17.12 lbs for the Bodacious, 16.0 for the Atlas with Sth16, and 16.2 for the 188 RC112's with Sth14's.
    Lucky Thirteen!

I was just reading the test results for the two Buzzards Cochise and Bodacious. I found it odd the Cochise was Skiings ski of the year? The Bod had better scores in every category's even hard snow conditions than the Cochise. It also had the highest over all score from the test sheets yet the Cochise was ski of the year? Out of 8 category's the Cochise only scored a tiny bit higher in Crud 4.07 to 4.00 and Maneuverability 3.77 vs 3.60. In my opinion the Bod came up #1. Looks like I'm going to have to get some.
    FACTION

I only have 1 full day on my 196 bodacious but so far I really, really like them. Very stable, very damp yet still feel like they have good pop off of features. For how big and stiff these are they are actually pretty easy to ski and very maneuverable in tight spaces. I haven't had a chance to ski them in any kind of soft snow but I think they are going to handle that just fine.

My only complaints so far would be the weight (these things are pigs) and it seems like the bases are kind of soft.

Can anyone compare the flex between the bodacious and cochise? Are they really similar? I'm thinking if they are just a narrower version of the bodacious, they might possibly be the perfect every day ski. The bodacious handled the current firm, chalky Snowbird conditions really well but something a little narrower might be nice for daily duty.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I only have 1 full day on my 196 bodacious but so far I really, really like them. Very stable, very damp yet still feel like they have good pop off of features. For how big and stiff these are they are actually pretty easy to ski and very maneuverable in tight spaces. I haven't had a chance to ski them in any kind of soft snow but I think they are going to handle that just fine.

My only complaints so far would be the weight (these things are pigs) and it seems like the bases are kind of soft.

Can anyone compare the flex between the bodacious and cochise? Are they really similar? I'm thinking if they are just a narrower version of the bodacious, they might possibly be the perfect every day ski. The bodacious handled the current firm, chalky Snowbird conditions really well but something a little narrower might be nice for daily duty.
    D - I've been skiing the 185 Cochise at Taos. I haven't skied the Bodacious, but unless everybody's been overstating the stiffness of that ski (and as I wrote last January, it was the stiffest ski I flexed at SIA) there is zero chance that the Cochise is "just a narrower version of the Bodacious." In fact, since I was sort of expecting that they were, pretty much, a narrower Bodacious, I've been especially surprised by the Cochise. It's a fun, versatile ski, but I wouldn't even call it a stiff ski (let alone a very stiff ski). I bet you could have a good time on the 193 Cochise, but since I know you like you some Garbones / Bodacious / overcompensation-type skis (insert wink), I don't think the Cochise is what you're looking for.

p.s. - hope that fifth digit is healing up okay.

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    D - I've been skiing the 185 Cochise at Taos. I haven't skied the Bodacious, but unless everybody's been overstating the stiffness of that ski (and as I wrote last January, it was the stiffest ski I flexed at SIA) there is zero chance that the Cochise is "just a narrower version of the Bodacious." In fact, since I was sort of expecting that they were, pretty much, a narrower Bodacious, I've been especially surprised by the Cochise. It's a fun, versatile ski, but I wouldn't even call it a stiff ski (let alone a very stiff ski). I bet you could have a good time on the 193 Cochise, but since I know you like you some Garbones / Bodacious / overcompensation-type skis (insert wink), I don't think the Cochise is what you're looking for.

Those first production Bodacious skis last winter/spring were brick shit houses. There were a handful of 196s that were the correct flex/construction last spring but not many. The final version that was produced is a ton softer than those first ones.

The Cochise and Bodacious will feel very similar. They have the same rocker profile and construction. The biggest difference is the Cochise has a little more sidecut. They'd be a great everyday ski at Alta/The Bird especially in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Those first production Bodacious skis last winter/spring were brick shit houses. There were a handful of 196s that were the correct flex/construction last spring but not many. The final version that was produced is a ton softer than those first ones.
    This makes sense, with how the ones in the shop hand flex, vs. the ones I skies last spring. I have a pair of 196's headed my way hopefully, stoked to go kill something with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    The Cochise and Bodacious will feel very similar. They have the same rocker profile and construction. The biggest difference is the Cochise has a little more sidecut. They'd be a great everyday ski at Alta/The Bird especially in these conditions.
    You wouldn't happen to have any demos available, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    It's coming along. It doesn't hurt while skiing so that's really all that matters

I've got a few days in now on the 196 Bodaciouses. They hand flex fairly stiff but they're not planks.

I instantly loved these - very easy to maneuver, super easy to shut em down and scrub speed. Haven't found much need to shut 'em down though, they feel very at home going fast. I started to feel like I was getting a bit hot on them but decided to open them up for another turn and keep the drive alive - to be rewarded with even more speed and no sketch. Repeat this all the way down and I'm skiing faster on these than I've ever skied before (and I'm not getting any younger). I've even been sending a few small airs which I haven't done in years ... immensely confidence inspiring.

I'm a fan of the fairly standard sidecut (32 meter radius I think?) they arc really nice turns when you lay them over and come around in a wide open and predictable manner when they're on edge. Standing 'em up and felt more like a point and shoot feeling than a pivoty feeling.

So far I've had em out on chalky and icy hardpack as well as some wet powder, really wet snow and really, really wet snow. No super deep and no blower yet. The crud busting was of special note: Hi speed through wet chop was not an issue - these things blew it all apart (even better i dare say than the old 194 Legend Pros which were built for destroying crud). Quick turns through steep trees in wet snow was not an issue either - very manageable ski - may be one of the easiest skis I've ridden.

I like these a lot.

^^^ personal info?

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    ^^^ personal info?
    Me: 6,1", 180 lbs

No ski racing background.

Been skiing, riding for 16 years, snowboard, tele and alpine. Mostly resort. Mostly fast.

Mounted the skis on the line and they feel fine.

Previous skis I liked: First Line Mothership, Dyna LP, 4FRNT VCT, 4FRNT EHP, Praxis Powder

Didn't like: Scott P4, K2 launcher...

Bodacious 196

I've got the bodacious 196's and they're the best ski's I've ever had on my feet. They act 15-20 mm smaller underfoot on groomers and destroy everything else. Go after these boards they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Me: 6,1", 180 lbs

No ski racing background.

Been skiing, riding for 16 years, snowboard, tele and alpine. Mostly resort. Mostly fast.

Mounted the skis on the line and they feel fine.

Previous skis I liked: First Line Mothership, Dyna LP, 4FRNT VCT, 4FRNT EHP, Praxis Powder

Didn't like: Scott P4, K2 launcher...
    I like what you said. I was looking for what you say for awhile. Cant wait to get mine!! Im 6ft 220 size 12 shoes.{ I would have to go look at my boots but around 330 I think?} Anyway on the line you love them great to know! What size feet you have?? Im gathering at 6.1 11 or 12? thanks, James
    FACTION

Skied the 186 bodacious yesterday in foot deep tracked up powder from the day before. They sure can charge threw the chop as fast as ya want. They really smoothed things out. I would defiantly agree the faster ya go the better they get. A little much if you don't have your speed up cranking them around in these conditions were its narrow and cant make bigger fast turns. But I did really like them. I cant stop thinking that the 193 would have been easier to turn for some reason? The 186 in this ski seemed short for the width if that makes sense? I wouldn't say because of rocker. Just how they looked and felt in foot deep crud. Would have loved to try a longer length if they had one to try.

This made me feel for the smaller mountain i was on that the Cochise in a 193 would have been more the ski for me on these smaller mountains around were I live. The runs arn,t very wide for the most part. A little narrower along the same lines and longer would still make tighter turns. Steep and narrow were i ski mostly. A big bowl I would have no question the Bodacious would have a different feel were ya could open them up more.. Or untracked powder any were without ice under the tracked.
    FACTION

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    A ski comes along once and a while that i fall in love with. The Rossi B squad in a 194,the Kaslte MX 98 in a 194 and now the Blizzard Bodacious.

We have a big Blizzard following over here at Hamilton Sports in Aspen. Years ago, John Stahler sold Tecnica/Volkl and the two split. Tecnica would be disributed by Blizzard (feel free to add to this, i dont remember the exact time frame or specifics of the sale). So Blizzard had very limited distribution (if any at all ) in the US in the last 90's early 2000's
    The first round of new Blizzards were kind of heinous. I skied on the Kreitler signature ski and it was heavy, dull and lethargic/

This new ski is the polar opposite. The Boadacious is a 196, and 118 under foot. The ski is large and very stable. The "flipcore" technology is what makes this ski nimble and quick.
    I have skied it on two occasions. Once on the back of Aspen Mtn and the second was at WPG, both were great powder days.
    Attachment 94438
    The author on the back of Aspen
    Attachment 94439
    The skis speak for themselves

Just so you can guage this review, i love long skis that have a traditional laminate construction. I am currently skiing the Kastle fx 98 in a 194 as my everyday ski. This ski rocks. I have been skiing it for three years. I just got another pair from Hugo through the board. My powder ski is the atomic atlas in a 194. I really love this ski as well.
    The Bodacious is stiffer and quicker than the atlas. The extra 4 cm also makes the ski super stable at speed. The Blizzard is the largest ski i have been on in length. but skis really short. The early rise combined with the flip core allows the Bodacious to easlily ebbs and flows through the trees and tight spots. Where the atlas sometimes slows down as it plows through deep snow, the Bodacious is fairly rigid up front and maintains it speed, allowing the rider to put the throttle down.

Anyway, thought i would write this up since i have not seen any review on this ski. Hamilton has these for demo, so if you are in town it is worth the demo price.

Back from the dead post. If you are still around I wanted to say thankyou for nailing this review of this ski. I found a 196 in the wrapper still a 2013/14 ski . There was also a 186 and i tossed around the shorter one but decided since it was going to be a powder ski I would just go for it. pluss dirt cheep being old stock. They had some 1 year old Jester Demos laying around also to put on for me. i was a little nervous {before] the first run on this ski. The first turn my fear changed to ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING ME!!! i found my self skiing faster in deep powder than ever before and this ski made that so easy to do I couldn't believe it!! i even find myself booking fast steep groomers at rediculus speeds and thats a blast on this ski also!! i have never been on a ski that is so stable. Bump runs when soft can be skied at speed doing gs turns flying over the bumps slashing turns on the edges as to not destroy the moguls. haha heading over to the hill in an hour when the snow softens up from last night and going to probably ski these. i find them being my every day ski. just so much love for these. Turn ot no turns these skis make my legs feel better at the end of the day also. LOVE them. This ski has changed my thinking about how a ski should feel like. My wailer 99 and 112,s Faction 3.0 and Nordica Hell Drivers havent seen much use. I just cant see were they can ski better in any situation than these. Cheers!! Well the only place those others have is short turns but they dont hold a candle to these for stability. Since i like to ski fast this is it!!
    FACTION

Being past my prime and with not great knees I have stockpiled some 186's, which to me seem like everything you guys say about the 196. I am 6"1' and ~170 ish and have often wondered if the 196's would give me more ability to charge through the dreaded mid day chop without getting over stoked and gimping myself. I almost don't want to know. The 186 has certainly not done me wrong yet, and still has a ridiculous top end which I have yet to reach at least. I do wonder though, does that big turn radius need the extra length to fully realize it's damping potential in the chop?

On the 186 it's hard to imagine the purpose (outside of tight arcs on a groomer), of a smaller sidecut radius daily driver. These things just pivot around so easily when you need them to without hooking up, it's a damn miracle to have that in a ski with such a high speed limit as well. So glad they made one more run of these, I just have that slight nagging doubt about whether I should have just sacked up and went 196...Or if that would have just resulted in a full on overstoke situation and subsequent untimely post in gimp central. I just can't quite wrap my mind around my own dried up, twiggy-ass carcass having that much more power and speed at my disposal.

Maybe if I were on meth, atop a glorious 2000' AK spine line, and with Michelle Parker cheering me on...But back down here on earth, maybe it would be best if I just never taste of that forbidden fruit.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I am still around. Just got these. Same ski as the original.

Name:  bodacious.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  86.8 KB]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bliZzard.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	717.1 KB 
ID:	202886  
    Last edited by skideeppow; 03-20-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Ha ha - just found this old thread - I'm still around too!

...and just picked up a new pair of the new old Bodacious also! Blew up the first pair, had a pair of '14s and ended up selling them in a downsize but regretted it ever since. Pumped to have the big sticks back again!

Cheers to big turns!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been on my for several winter and agree these skis truck, stomp and work at slow speeds. I rode mine a lot with my kid at 4 and 5, on low angle runs, and could still make them work. I uses them as powder skis, but they work great in the crud and groomers as well.

Tone C. I'm 5'9" and 185#, and find the 196 easy to ski. I mostly ski open bowls, and wide spaced trees, but I've take these through steep, tight-ish trees and had plenty of fun. They do straight line just fine. See if you can demo a pair; you may find you like that extra length.

Late to the party here, but I finally got a chance to ski a pair of the green blue bull 196's I picked up used on fleaby.

6'0 and 220 lbs. Mounted with what else but Pivots, on the line. Ski at Sugarloaf. Conditions were about 6" of semi dry on top of decent groom for day one. It snowed last night another 4" with a little wind to turn the surface into wind pack. Wow what a ski. So much fun. Love the flex and the feel you get from a ski with metal. To me they skied like a less stiff cochise, which I also ski. I thought they rode well when running flat base smearing turns or carving with a higher edge angle. Best super fat I have ever skied. I have an Annex 118 that may not see much love thanks to these.

Just jumped on the bandwagon thanks to Banditman... $399 for such a killer ski and even better for a killer purpose...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I picked up a pair of this years 186's, and could not be more happy. A big shout out to everyone who posted about them in this old thread. If I hadn't picked up a pair of the SuperGoats I would definitely jump all over the 196's at that $399 deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Just jumped on the bandwagon thanks to Banditman... $399 for such a killer ski and even better for a killer purpose...
    very tempting. includes a percentage of sales to the Arne Backstrom Memorial Fund as well as to the Ryan Hawks Foundation. just found another set of bindings. anyone been on the 186 and wish they'd gone 196? I had some other green 19x bodacious that I liked but am actually thing going smaller just to make the quiver a little less one dimensional

Just got these 196 Black Beauties delivered yesterday and holy shit are these babies stout...! So stoked to get on these and just pray to God I do not end up in a mogul field with them...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Just got these 196 Black Beauties delivered yesterday and holy shit are these babies stout...! So stoked to get on these and just pray to God I do not end up in a mogul field with them...

What are those baby dentists ski next to your Bode again?