Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva
    I recently bought a Fujitsu Lifebook 6000. Came nicely configured. So far, no problemos. Love the screen.

Suggestions:

No Celeron chips! Get the new Intel Centrino chip instead.
    Get built-in wireless.
    40 gig HD minimum
    Consider the size and weight if you're planning to travel a lot with it. I limited myself to a 14 inch screen when looking and 5-5.5 lbs max. Ended up with a 13.1 inch screen and 5 lbs.
    My wife had a Fujitsu that worked well for her for a number of years. Finally something broke on it that wouldn't allow the screen to open and close properly.

I don't know if built-in wireless is really needed. The wireless G PC cards are pretty cheap now-a-days.

Apple iBook. If you don't need the latest and greatest, go for a model that is a step or two back from the most current edition. For even further savings you could get a refurbished one.

just remember that when buying a computer (laptop or otherwise) from a major corporation (ESPECIALLY Dell) to re-install windows before you do anything with it and get rid of all that promotional crap that comes along with it, otherwise your computer with run like mud.

im on a compaq x1000 and havent had any trouble with it. only complaint is the battery life has gone to shit. i think its probably cause it just sits on a desk plugged in all the time. could that be the reason? or what..
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

I have a HP and a thinkpad (for work). The HP is not bad, but the modem really sucks big ass. The thinkpad works great though. I have had it for 2.5 years and use it about 55 - 60 hrs a week and never had a problem. I would recommend the thinkpad.

Quote Originally Posted by belgian
    just remember that when buying a computer (laptop or otherwise) from a major corporation (ESPECIALLY Dell) to re-install windows before you do anything with it and get rid of all that promotional crap that comes along with it, otherwise your computer with run like mud.

What specific "promotional crap" are you referring to? (I've purchased in excess of oh...300-350 systems from Dell and can't recall a single that came with "promotional crap".) You also advocate doing a complete reinstall on a new system? That's bold.

House: Yes, that can absolutely affect battery life. Typically, if your laptop is plugged in, the battery is bypassed (as a power source), yet will continue to be charged by the power supply. If you aren't running the laptop from the battery, it has almost certainly developed a "memory". The best way to avoid that is to run it off battery power & run the battery down until it's nearly drained before you recharge it. Chances are, your existing battery won't get any better - but if you replace it, that's how you'd avoid damaging the new one.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Thanks for all of the advice.

I just purchased her a Dell Inspiron 600m.

-Pentium M725 1.6GHz
    -512Mb Ram
    -60GB HD
    -4 year warranty w/ accidental drop insurance

It is light and thin(5 lbs and 1.6 inches), which I thought she might like. I hope she digs it and finds it convenient.

HoHoHo!

Good choice - she'll love it!
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca